Sponsors:

Recent

Welcome to The 2024 Forestry Forum!

Do you have trees to grow? Logs to saw? A forest to manage? Chainsaws to fix? A sawmill to purchase or maintain? Timber related business to run? Lumber to dry? Trees or plants to identify? A cabin to build? Are you hungry and like FOOD?

Or would you just like to pull up a stump and visit with a friend?
If any of these and a multitude of other topics apply, then The Forestry Forum is the place for you.

What Will you Find on the Forestry Forum?

Pages: [1] 2 ... 40
This is a follow up to my post in "watcha sawing" of the 20 ft yellow poplar 4 x 10 roof rafters I am sawing. I had heard that the poplar would have stress and move when sawn. The logs are as straight as I ever have. The butt logs have taper which I have been trimming off before taking full cuts and the second logs up actually roll. Watching Yellow Hammers video on reading the log to minimize stress movement put me on task to try and read the logs. I have been taking slabs off each side the continue around again taking jacket boards to see if one orientation produced more curl that the other. I would be hard pressed to say that any of the logs have had one face move more than the others. So the attached pic shows it all. slab firewood on the lift, jacket boards on the tractor forks and three rafters rolled on side on the bunks. This one had a bit more movement that the others so far with the centered pit rafter pretty darn straight and curl away from the center on the two side rafters. Tulip yellow poplar trees/logs look so straight and clear but they consistently have stress away from the center on all faces.Read More

0 Comments
Hey forestry folks,

I'm looking at an old, tired Prentice TMS-1, at least I think that's what it is (see picture of tag), but when I search, "TMS-1" I can't find anything on the web that looks anything like the machine I'm looking at. I also tried TMS-i. The frame is clearly homemade. Can anyone shed...

Read More

2 Comments
I am building a sawmill using pillow block bearings for the band wheels and I notice the bearings move and throw the blade out of alignment or off the wheel.Is there a rule of thumb for aligning the bearings to help stop this? Thanks...

Read More

2 Comments
Hey guys my dad is a retired swamp logger now heavy equipment mechanic. He has ran into a problem on a 2009 Tiger Cat Loader. It has no pilot pressure. He said it will run but has no functions. He has changed out the pump to a good used one, changed filters. He has been scratching his head on what could...

Read More

1 Comment
G'day I may be cutting a load of timber for someone for a greenhouse,

Included in the list is 4x4s 13 feet long, these will be cut from stringybark logs, to cut them free of heart and cut the tension out I would need a log 20 inches across, would I be fine to box the heart for them? So I can get them out of smaller logs.Read More

4 Comments
Pages: [1] 2 ... 40

Thank You Sponsors!