The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Sycamore Sidetrip  (Read 2713 times)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
Re: Sycamore Sidetrip
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 09:13:14 am »
Magicman,interesting, with 110 families that was big,I would feel. We have a little history here,on the hill,school house,post office But nothing of that size. As stated in the link,people did not travel like we do now. First off they did not really have the means and they did not need to. Everything they needed was in a few miles of them.
When we go to Lancaster County,PA I have noticed the cantilever on barns. These are all old barns too.I don't really want to say cantilever barns because it is only on one side or end of the barns.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 01:58:00 pm »
  I don't really want to say cantilever barns because it is only on one side or end of the barns. 
  The way I read Wikipedia that is cantilever:  cantilever
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 06:59:15 pm »
When we go to Lancaster County,PA I have noticed the cantilever on barns. These are all old barns too.I don't really want to say cantilever barns because it is only on one side or end of the barns.

I'm just across the river from Lancaster Co and we have lots of old barns with the overhang on one side, in fact my barn has it and I was told this barn was built in 1904. I've always thought it was to leave the doors open into the livestock area without getting rain and snow in. But then what do I know.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 08:49:48 am »
Lynn, I forgot to mention the museum in Tellico Plains has hundreds of old telephones, switches, operator stations and gear. They also have a nice collection of guns.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 05:24:18 pm »
Sounds like I need to slow down when I go back through.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 09:06:37 am »
Yepper, there's actually 2 buildings and it's free admission.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.