The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me what is eating my tree?  (Read 3848 times)

Offline sandsawmill14

• Senior Member x2
  • love my job (most days)
Re: Can anyone tell me what is eating my tree?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 07:56:51 am »
we have a few of them around here some call them indian hens on a side note if you ever see one go in a hole where the nest is DONT EVER climb the tree and put your hand over the hole to try and catch mom and the babies :o i know a guy that did that when he was bout 12-13 yrs old and hands are no where near hard as wood and i thought the bird was gonna come out through my and any second :o and i was to scared to let the pecker out afraid it would get on my head so i ended up just jumping out of the tree ;D after 2 -3 days my hand was ok and learned a valuable lesson :D :D :D  when i think about all the crazy things i did as a kid i often wonder how i ever got this old ???  :D :D
hudson 228, timberking b20, s&w 125 ,lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Offline sandsawmill14

• Senior Member x2
  • love my job (most days)
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 07:59:21 am »
i forgot to mention this was one of the small red headed woodpeckers not the larger ones like were mentioned in this post :)
hudson 228, timberking b20, s&w 125 ,lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 08:34:43 pm »
  We have lots of pileated woodpeckers in our area and on my property. Some folks call them wood hens. I love to hear them calling (sometimes in the Spring they will shock a turkey into gobbling) and watching them. I'd leave the tree as long as safe just for the bird viewing it will provide.

That's what people call them around here, too. It confused me when I first moved here in '78 when the locals talked about "wood hens".

It's easy to tell when one of them is working. Sounds like the log drums from an old Tarzan movie. The little redheaded woodpeckers (don't know their real name) sound more like a clatter; nothing like the big pileated drummers.
Find something to do that interests you.

Offline ppine

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 09:54:22 am »
It is impressive that several people could figure out the species by the nature of the hole he left.  People that live and work in the bush get tuned in to what is out there.  It all becomes so familiar. That is the difference between tourists and foresters.
Forester