The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Taking my diesel to Alaska  (Read 7576 times)

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
Re: Taking my diesel to Alaska
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 10:24:35 pm »
Qweaver, sorry I can't tell you for sure about the ferry route because I wasn't on that trip and my uncle passed away,   but if memory serves correct it was the U.S. side, and was also shortly after the 9/11 tragedy.  As far as the tires go it was shale that sliced both of them, from slides down the mountains (we had to drive through, more or less).  Not trying to scare you by any means just be prepared and I guarantee you'll have the trip of a lifetime  :)!  Won't matter much what route you choose either.

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
  • The cabin is done and we love it
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 03:44:11 pm »
Gas mileage.  We got 17 mpg running empty at 70 mph going over to get the camper.  Got 14 mpg running 60 mph coming home.  I'm a little surprised at 3 mpg difference at 10mph less.  The camper is less that 2000 lb. but lots of added windage  and drag increases at the square of the speed.  I'll try a test run at 70 and 50mph to see how much that changes the mileage.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 10:58:14 am »
Don't be surprised.  I drop 3 mpg with my truck camper which also weighs 2000 and the speed does not seem to matter much.

Mine is a "popup" which gives it much less wind resistance when traveling.

And then when we get to where we are going, the top cranks up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 11:19:53 am »
I'm going to fab a trailer hitch mounted carrier and I think some shorter steps like yours would work well fastened to it.
Bad news this morning, the camper is too tall by just a few inches to fit in any of my sheds.  I will have to put a lean-to roof on one shed to allow it to fit.  Dang!
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 11:24:27 am »
Don't you need another shed? :D
Lane Circle Mill

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 11:42:29 am »
And then when we get to where we are going, the top cranks up.

The Grizzlies call them clams.Hard shell but pop off the top and there are soft delicious morsels inside.  :)
eg  tregar  meste  på  Tulla, for  ho  var  krulla  i  ulla.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 12:38:37 pm »
 :D That is a very nice rig.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Warbird

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 02:12:05 pm »
I like your setup, MM.  My goal is to have something similar in the next couple of years.  You said your mileage drops by ~3 mpg but didn't say what the overall mileage is?  Your truck looks like a gasser, not a diesel?

Offline ET

• Still Learning!
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 02:32:12 pm »
Qweaver, wow, ive talked with my wife for years about driving north to Alaska. We have a truck camper also. Its a Lance Sportsman, well insulated and suited for cold weather and weighs 2300 lbs when full. I take it into the mountains around Parkersburg/Mineral Wells area every hunting season. I never did make it to Buckhannon this year to visit you, maybe next year. I had the HappyjAck system plus the cab-over struts installed. The camper goes on and off in minutes.  Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 02:49:50 pm »
Yes, gas.  It drops from ~15 to ~12 with the camper.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 02:57:33 pm »
When we drove to Alaska in 1997, it was in this Class C motorhome.  We were not towing anything.

Our next trip will absolutely be in a truck camper.

Offline Woodcarver

• "A country boy can survive"
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2014, 03:54:46 pm »
I and my wife made the Alcan Highway trip with our Lance truck camper a little more than 10 years ago.  I'd suggest acrylic covers for your headlights and a metal grill cover.  We put both on our truck for the trip.  One of the acrylic covers had a star burst in it when we got home.  Would have been a broken headlight without the cover.  The grill cover had a couple of dings in it.  Might have had a broken grill without the cover.

We didn't carry extra fuel and didn't have a problem.  You do need to keep an eye on the guage and plan ahead, though.  Get a current copy of the Milepost Alaska Trip Planner.  It will tell you where you can expect to find fuel, food, campgrounds, etc.  We put one to a lot of use on our trip.

The trip was a blast.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 06:55:05 pm »
Good idea on the covers.  I'm also going to put a heavy duty full width animal guard on the front, mainly for deer here in WV but good up there also.  Will acrylic defuse the light much?

Offline Woodcarver

• "A country boy can survive"
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2014, 07:49:18 pm »
I noticed little difference with the covers on the lights.  In fact, I left them on the truck for a long time after we returned from the trip.  They begin to look a little hazy eventually, I suppose from abrasion, and I took them off. 
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2014, 08:04:25 pm »
For our first trip I made headlight and grill covers for the motorhome out of ½" hardware cloth.  Worked fine.

The windshield was dinged up pretty badly as in more than a dozen pecks, but no stars.  Slowing down and moving to the outside of your lane will help avoid wheel thrown rocks.  Thankfully most all of the roads are paved, which includes the Alcan as well as the Alaskan highways.  Frost heaves and road construction is just a way of life and the only time that they have to do repairs is during the Summer months.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 08:10:49 pm »
Frost heaves and road construction is just a way of life and the only time that they have to do repairs is during the Summer months.

Sounds just like Maine.  :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2014, 09:44:57 am »
Are the frost heaves on rock and paved roads?   What is the best tactic for avoiding them or at least minimizing the damage?

Offline Warbird

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 11:46:30 am »
Slow down.  The heaves are usually in permafrost areas and can come up on you unexpectedly.  Paved roads, dirt, gravel, whatever. 

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 12:16:21 pm »
Here in Maine the roads have "BUMP' signs before a frost heave.
I grew up on a state road,speed limit 50mph and there was 2 frost heaves right back to back. Had a few snow plows come unhooked or the chians would break on the second heave. Dumps trucks were loud and logging trucks too. One lost a stake one year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 04:21:34 pm »
For the most part the roads are excellent.  Yes you "could" come upon something unexpectedly, but usually there is construction/reconstruction work going on.