The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Pet Raccoon?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Pet Raccoon?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 09:12:12 am »
   We have had many wild pets - several coons, squirrels, flying squirrels, gray squirrels and cottontails my neighbors dog would find in the nest and they'd bring to my wife to raise and even a fawn we raised to adulthood and a red-bellied woodpecker.

The last coon my son had he caught 3 big enough to eat solid food but could not break the skin. He kept one and gave 2 away. He got permit from DNR and our daughter's friend at the vet school helped get him neutered and his shots. My wife made him a harness which was handy to pick him up as he got to be a rolly polly and hard to hold. He went everywhere with my son. He was a great chick magnet and the girls always wanted to come pet him. He would play chase and hassle like a dog. He'd run when chased then come chase you if you ran the other direction. He was usually friendly but would always bite if he had food. He'd grab the cats half empty cat food can, run behind the TV and snarl till he finished eating. I'd take him to the creek and try to teach him to find his own crawfish under rocks which I'd slap out on the bank and he'd pounce on it. He loved the chubs and crawfish from my minnow traps. Sean would take him fishing and he'd fish in the minnow bucket. They'd toss him a small crappie and he'd run under the bow and eat it. Chester had the run of the house at college with Sean and his roomie. Came home one day and broken eggs in front of the fridge but no Chester - until they opened the fridge and found him asleep on the bottom shelf. Had to rework a lock system. He'd ride on Sean's shoulder with his paws around Sean's forehead as he looked ahead to see where they were going. Next to the deer who was free to run with the wild deer Chester was probably the neatest pet we had.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 08:51:39 am »
Baaa...

He loved our hot tub. It had a gazeebo over it and he'd scurry up the post, climb out to the center, and drop into the tub. Casually swim to the side, exit and do it again. Totally freaked out our friends when they came over. He had a bad habit of untying ladies swim tops as well...

Sounds like you trained him well...
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 08:53:20 am »

He hung around my shop...
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 03:31:23 pm »
did it drink any of that silver bullet that on the table  :D

Offline ESFted

• Full Member x2
  • Just a chain saw, so far.
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 01:32:25 pm »
Had a raccoon come into the yard last week while I was mowing.  I yelled and clapped my hands and it left, but was not moving right.  The next day it was back and this time I hosed it down until it slowly went back over the fence.  Not aggressive, but acting strangely.  I called animal control and they came within a few minutes and sure enough the coon was back waiting for them, eating the seed husks from under the bird feeders.  The guys said it was an old wives tale that coons were strictly nocturnal and they would feed whenever food was available.  They said this one was exhibiting signs of distemper--mucus around the eyes and impaired mobility, so they hauled it away.  I was surprised to hear that distemper was common in raccoons, so it's not always rabies when they are acting strangely.  Don't want to take a chance though.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S
Dreams of a Wm LT70

Offline ToddsPoint

• Stockmaker and Carver
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 05:14:53 am »
Distemper came through here about 10 yrs. ago and wiped out most of the coons.  They are still kind of scarce to this day.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.