The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Plumb-bobs, plumbettes, etc.  (Read 980 times)

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
Plumb-bobs, plumbettes, etc.
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:48:40 pm »
What do you use? I made up a simple "plumbette" for scribing in some new parts on one of the barns. I couldn't find a "real" plumbette, and since I'm not laying out to lines on the floor, I just made one out of basically garbage. :D Since I don't have to see through the plumbette to a chalkline, I just used a big discarded nut. I think it's a 1" fine thread.  ;D Then I got a scrap of pine and cut a prow on the front of it like a very square-ish ship might have, and put a slot in it for the string line. I then pounded a sheetrock screw into the top of it, as I didn't have a phillips bit,  ::) and tied a couple of feet of old chalkline on the screw. It needed a little weight on it, so I glued a marble scrap to the top. Presto! I had a plumb line scribing gizmo. ;D

The main angle is 90, and the bottom relief angles are probably 15. This keeps all the wood away from the line so you can do your picage, or pricking of the dimension. What I'm doing is sort of French scribe. Sort of.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!