Please visit this sponsor

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Woodmizer bed extension  (Read 1719 times)

Offline rooster 58

• GRIZ, the sawmill mgr.
Woodmizer bed extension
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:12:13 am »
I was lurking on youtube the other day and came across a video titled wm bx12. So I clicked on it and saw this video of a hydraulic bed extension for the wm. It included side supports, a hydraulic claw style log turner, and a hydraulic log clamp. I never knew that existed. Anybody see this before? And I wonder if it would be available with a chain turner for the 50 and 70?
loc

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
Re: Woodmizer bed extension
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 10:29:22 am »
OOOhhh, I want one. No way I can afford it, but I been thinking about building a 12 foot one with pineywoods hydraulics..But then I'd have to extend the sawshed  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline rooster 58

• GRIZ, the sawmill mgr.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:41:17 am »
Yah I may have a market for long stuff. It looks awesome. Spoke to pa. wm and they didnt seem to know about it.
loc

Offline slider

• I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 12:00:13 pm »
I think customsawyer is sawing up to 45 ft on his.There was a video of it here on another thread last week i think.
al glenn

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 12:02:34 pm »
Home made? Some do some real nice work. Was it customsawyer?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 01:54:54 pm »
My extension is 24'. When I first ordered it I ask WM to add the hyd. claw turner, both toe board rollers, the side supports and the clamp. They informed me that they had never done that. I said the ext. is just another mill frame so just add them on like you would for a LT40 and let me know how much. It wasn't long after that that (for Tom ;D) they called and asked how I hooked up the hyd.  so I shared with them what little I did and that was all that I had to do with it. I am sure they put a lot more work and effort in it than I did.
Two LT70s and to much other support equipment to mention.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Online Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:30:42 pm »
I talked to New York about a hydraulic BX and they had never heard of it. I told them the same thing, it's just a mill, leave the axle and hitch off.  :D I have the BX24, and it really needs hydraulics, but the manual bed doesn't accept the two plane clamp. I want to get a hydraulic BX24 that is drilled on both ends for the adapter and put it in the middle. 69' should do it. ::) Although I do have an 85' SYP log to saw up, but we'll probably just cut it into short logs and make dimensional lumber out of it. :'(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Away down south in the land of sweetgums. . . .
    • Genesis Hardwood Lumber
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »
Piney, you have the jig needed to drill an older frame to attach the extension, right? (Or was I not supposed to tell about that?)  :-X

Maybe you could find an old LT-40HD and simply take the unnecessary parts off and use it for an extension.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

"By pith and power, til my last hour, I'll mak this declaration-- we are bought and sold for English gold-- such a parcel o' rogues in the nation." --Robert Burns

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 08:39:03 pm »
Piney, you have the jig needed to drill an older frame to attach the extension, right? (Or was I not supposed to tell about that?)  :-X

Maybe you could find an old LT-40HD and simply take the unnecessary parts off and use it for an extension.

Okra, that would work IF the price was about the same as buying new steel. If I found one that cheap, I'd be tempted to fix it up and then sell it  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 09:09:23 pm »
Hello,
WM does not offer a BX with these options. It may have been built as a special order or someone made it up from parts. I have seen one modified in Virginia that has lifting, clamping ,  Turning and toe boards.
Thanks Marty
Have a great Summer!

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 11:15:01 pm »
Hello,
WM does not offer a BX with these options. It may have been built as a special order or someone made it up from parts. I have seen one modified in Virginia that has lifting, clamping ,  Turning and toe boards.
Thanks Marty

Sounds like a good project for somebody to get working on, Marty!  :)
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

"By pith and power, til my last hour, I'll mak this declaration-- we are bought and sold for English gold-- such a parcel o' rogues in the nation." --Robert Burns

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline Mooney

• Sponsor
  • Life is good... :-)
    • Wood-Mizer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 08:45:53 am »
The video is for a sawmill model built specifically for European markets at our facility in Poland. Apparently there is enough demand to warrant making it an official option in that part of the world.
Follow Wood-Mizer at http://facebook.com/woodmizer for exclusive updates and sawyer related news. 20,000+ fans to date. ;-) http://www.woodmizer.com

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 12:16:17 am »
Keep a close eye on it, Mooney. People here may be wanting one. (No, I am not ready to buy one yet!)

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline Warren

• Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.... Col. 3:23
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 12:15:50 am »
Keep a close eye on it, Mooney. People here may be wanting one. (No, I am not ready to buy one yet!)

Jim,  WoodMizer has several options / variations in their European products that I think could be useful here in the U.S.  For example, they have 3 different lengths for their LT40's.  The LT40L (Long) will cut logs up to 8.6 meters (28+ ft) in length.    Having a "long" frame in the U.S. would eliminate the need for me to have an extension on my base LT40 mill to cut 24 to 25ft wagon rails.  Also, for guys like Custom Sawyer, who cut the really long stuff on a regular basis, it would get them out to 52ft with only one 24ft extension.

However, having been thru WoodMizer's production facility in Indiana where they build the mills, I understand that a longer mill here in the U.S. would have to be a totally one off, custom, endeavor. 
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C, W&S Forklift, Baker Edger ...  And not near enough time in the day ...