The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Sealing log ends  (Read 5639 times)

Offline 5quarter

• Senior Member x2
Re: Sealing log ends
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2012, 01:39:15 am »
Gene...you mean Husker red?  ;D

University of Nebraska, 1993
What is this leisure time of which you speak?

Offline BLink

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2017, 04:30:15 pm »
Does anyone use Duroseal to seal the ends of the logs?
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2017, 06:46:14 pm »
Anchorseal is probably the most popular product that's made specifically for the purpose.

Offline smoked

• I'm new!
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2017, 08:07:59 am »
I have tried old paint, aluminum paint, automotive spray-on undercoating, and finally this summer Anchorseal.  By far Anchorseal is the best I have tried.  For a very limited hobbyist like me, I can see the 2 gallon pail I got lasting a long time. 

Has anyone tried it in a garden sprayer???  Seems like that would be a good portable solution for people who take the mill to the wood.
Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2017, 11:09:32 pm »
I've used several things, the smaller pump up garden sprayers require Anchorseal to be cut with water.  Still works, but... definitely takes two coats.

I've also used a Graco power sprayer, it's very fast but limited by the extension cord length.

A very large paint brush also works, but is slower and requires bending over for long periods of time.

I've recently been using the shoulder strap pump up herbicide sprayer UC sells for their product.  I didn't like the spray tips they provided, so put on a standard flat fan herbicide tip, and now it works great.  Very fast, and very portable.  The full viscosity Anchorseal stays in the shoulder harness hopper, doesn't dry out, so the rig doesn't require cleaning. 

The thing about Anchorseal is that you know it works.  If you don't spray hardwood logs or lumber, they will crack.  Spray them, they won't.   

I tried the different colors but didn't like them, they obscure the end grain and I need that view to mill more precisely.

Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2017, 07:43:26 am »
Robert,

I am interested in the sprayer.  Can you provide more info on where to get it?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline smoked

• I'm new!
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2017, 09:42:53 pm »
It is here but I couldn't find the price.  http://uccoatings.com/products/spraying-equipment/

Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2017, 10:11:17 pm »
I bought it direct from UC Coatings when I ordered a batch of Anchorseal.

Here's a video using both the power sprayer, as well as the backpack sprayer.  Both work well but the backpack will let me roam a lot more.  Main thing is to pump and keep the pressure high and the Anchorseal patterns well. As I said, I use a slightly different flat pattern tip but they supply a couple choices with the sprayer.

The video is "How to Apply Anchorseal" with the girl in the yellow shirt.  She uses the backpack sprayer at about 50 seconds into the video.
http://uccoatings.com/videos/

I don't remember the price, it wasn't cheap, but about the same as one I had found for spraying herbicides at the local COOP but I figured this was more optimized.  So far, it's been very mechanically sound and I've put quite a few gallons through it. 

Although I've never had it clog, and I store the Anchorseal in the sprayer when I'm done, the exterior of the spray tip will sometime crust up messing up the even, flat spray pattern, so when I put the rig on my back I go by the air compressor and blow some air on the exterior of the tip to clear it. 

I use it both for log ends, as well as lumber before or after I sticker it, which is more efficient and less wasteful.  No more cleanup.  No more bending, much more better. 

Online xlogger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 05:25:16 am »
Robert, I have a couple of those back pack sprayers. I tried using coating on a small hand held one and it was too thick. Did you make the tip you use or was it one they offered.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 07:59:59 am »
I also tried to use full viscosity Anchorseal with the little hand held 2 gallon pump up sprayer with dismal results.  The Anchorseal dribbled out about as fast as a mouse with a UTI. 

So I was was very hesitant to spend money on a bigger version of failure.  However, I figured since UC Coatings sold it, and the video looked pretty good, not great, but pretty good, I figured I'd take a chance.

I was pleasantly surprised when I used it for the first time, its works at a much higher sprayer pressure than the handheld sprayers, but since I've never used another backpack sprayer, I don't have anything to compare it against on those. 

They provide a variety of tips with the sprayer, a brass round pattern and a red flat tip like used in herbicide spray rigs.  The round tip shot the stuff out like a shotgun, pretty unevenly, so was hard to get a smooth coat.  The flat tip also sprayed out a pretty good mist but in short order, I thought I could do a little better.  So I went down to Tractor Supply, and they sell TeeJet tips that fit the standard size of the sprayer nozzle.  I just bought a few orifice diameters and tried them.  Nothing wrong with the tips supplied with the sprayer, just I'm always thinking there may be something better.

What is interesting and surprising about the sprayer is that it actually puts on a thicker coat than I sometimes want, at least as thick as a brush.  Main thing is that in order to keep the pressure up high enough to spray and spread well, you have to use two hands like in the video.  Because of this I have tried cutting with a little water, but most times I don't, I just dump a few gallons in the sprayer and head to the log pile One hand pressurizing, the other hand spraying.

If you have a backpack already, I'd give it a try.

Online xlogger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 05:55:29 am »
I'll check on those tips. thanks
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln