The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Logosol

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

Portable Sawmill and Planers Made by Logosol.

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Price Per Board Foot?  (Read 10082 times)

Offline levans

• Full Member x2
  • Farmer/woodworker
Price Per Board Foot?
« on: June 14, 2012, 01:14:57 pm »
I'm wondering if someone in or near My area, Eastern TN could give me an idea of pricing. I haven't done any sawing for others for 5 or 6 years. I have two people who want some pine logs cut into 4/4 boards.
They will bring the logs to me, I will saw the logs and sticker the lumber and load it back onto their trailer, any ideas on the pricing?

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
Re: Price Per Board Foot?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 02:12:21 pm »
Here in Ohio twenty cents is a bargain anymore. I always charged fifteen cents and walked to the house wondering how I made any money sawing the custom orders.
Bill

Offline Jemclimber

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 03:31:41 pm »
You should have an added charge for stickering it. It's more work. Work is time, time is money.
lt15

Offline Bogue Chitto

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 03:38:01 pm »
I charge .25 for soft wood and .30 cents for hardwood.  If I had to stack and sticker I would charge more.

Offline JoeBrittany21

• Started at 15 and still going.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 04:18:47 pm »
I taught a college level course on "the time value of money" this is the best way to figure out pricing so a person doesn't end up having to wonder why he can't afford to replace blades and parts.

All the equipment is basically calculated out to its useful life and then you would break that down to an hourly price. Unless tools start falling from the sky, this is the only way to be able to be sure you have the money to replace worn out iron. Any successful businessman either knows this or his accountant knows it.

Without this knowledge on pricing it is like walking blind in the forest.

Offline wwsjr

• Think Orange
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 04:44:18 pm »
Someone at WM, can't remember who, told me a good planning figure for average cost for fuel, blades, and maintenance would be $10.00 an engine hour. With 2500 hours on my mill, I think my cost is a little less than $10.00 per hour. It has worked for me in determining my BF cutting price.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Ford F350 Dually, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Offline Indiana Robinson

• I'm new! No I'm not. I'm too old to be new :-)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 05:01:28 pm »
I taught a college level course on "the time value of money" this is the best way to figure out pricing so a person doesn't end up having to wonder why he can't afford to replace blades and parts.
All the equipment is basically calculated out to its useful life and then you would break that downan hourly price. Unless tools start falling from the sky, this is the only way to be able to be sure you have the money to replace worn out iron. Any successful businessman either knows this or his accountant knows it.

Without this knowledge on pricing it is like walking blind in the forest.

That is true. Another factor is whether or not you can make all repairs yourself. If you have to pay someone else to make most repairs you need to factor in the difference between what you pay yourself and what someone or a business will charge you.
I'm an old man and retired (what ever that means). If I can pay myself $25 an hour for "my personal time" (not business time or machine time) then I'm happy. If I had to pick up the phone and call in for a service call, 5 times that amount might not cover it... You may never have that kind of breakdown but you need to cover at least part of the possibility ahead of time instead of waiting until it happens and then trying to get your money back.

I only survived a lifetime of farming (and several other businesses) because of my skills as a mechanic, machinist, blacksmith, welder and metal fabricator. Had I had to cough up the prices that most shops charge for my repair work needs I simply couldn't have done it because in farming you don't get to set the rates. All you can control is cost...  ;D

I'm glad to see this discussion, while I will not be doing a lot of heavy sawing and hope to mostly do a little on shares I would expect to occasionally do a little job or two for $$$$ and am interested in what the market is prone to bear.

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
 Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 05:28:08 pm »
 Exactly right, being able to repair it yourself is a huge savings weather you call a repair truck or take it in.  Being in the trucking business for too long most times I could fix a problen in the same time as it would have taken to take it in and I never minded making the $60 to $75 a hour the shops charge.  Back to the subject I'd charge at least .25 a bf for real good logs and .35 if they are small.   Steve
Timberking B20 9000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 05:36:50 pm »
$.30 if you do most of the log handling manually. If the logs are small or crooked, I charge by the hour, usually around $40.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Seems I do more construction work than sawmill work these days.

Offline levans

• Full Member x2
  • Farmer/woodworker
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 05:48:28 pm »
The last time I sawed I milled away from home and charged 175.00 per thousand, gas was about 1.00 a gallon ect,ect so I was thinking about 250.00 now. I also have to take into account that I am in a depressed area in that we are 50 to 100 miles from a large city and folks just don't make that much money here but the cost of living is not as high as is always the case.

Online Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 07:36:22 pm »
If the custom sawing jobs are one shot deal of one trailer load each, you can't go too wrong charging whatever you feel comfortable.

But if it's going to be an ongoing venture, you may want to try these first two loads and calculate if you are getting an equatable return for your labor and investment .
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 08:08:30 pm »
One thing, (the only thing?) I've ever learned.......... is that it is easier to come down on your pricing than it is to go up. If you say .30/bf and they balk, you can always come down.

Things I've sawn: black walnut, cherry, SYP, southern magnolia, poplar, hemlock, osage orange, red oak, white oak, chestnut oak, locust, english walnut, ERC, WP, hickory, ash, black birch, beech, honey locust and a "Christmas tree" full of iron.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 08:58:03 pm »
Iím sorta lazy so I like to saw a little for a lot $$$.  My price is on the higher side so I donít get some jobs.  Saves wear and tear on the mill. :D

Staking and stickering is a whole different operation and should be charged as such.  Iím sat up pretty good with the TK-2000.  Drag the boards back and stack while the mill is making the next cut.  About the only extra time required is putting down sticks between layers.  After the stack is made I can pick it up out of the crib and sit it down on the customers trailer with the forklift.  It doesnít take much extra effort or time on my part, so I donít charge much.

Larry

Nine out of ten trees recommend wood for your building project.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 10:08:24 pm »
Larry, it looks like you have perfected a system that works quite well for you.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini/Kohler

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Migal

• I'm new! But Old as Dirt!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 10:39:50 pm »
 >:( I'm jealous I want a crib and fel with forks this carrying of to a stack is getting old quick  :D when i get that welder buddy of mine to build them cribs i want and i get that fel I will be doing the  8)  :D nice setup Larry
   Oh on the price i charge 50 a hr to pull the leavers customer can supply help or pay me 50 a hour to carry and stack  ;D
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Offline Tripp

• Full Member x2
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 10:47:53 pm »
I have a customer coming in the morning. He is supplying the logs, offbearing , and loading his lumber. .25 a board foot. All pine. First time trying this. Should be interesting.

Tripp

Offline sgschwend

• My new Brand X sawmill
    • Brideck Enterprises Portable Sawmill Service, Washington
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 11:50:48 pm »
It is nice to provide a service such as stickering. 
But, I don't get the idea of stickered lumber on a trailer.  Wouldn't it feel up and then how does it come off again.  If you were portable and cutting in their yard then I think stickering would be a big help and a nice service.

I know it takes more time to make all 4/4 stock so that should cost a bit more, also if you were cutting a lot of small parts or small logs then that will drive the cost up too.

As other have said you are providing a valuable service and your time spent affects the price paid. 

Offline wwsjr

• Think Orange
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 07:34:13 am »
sgschwend,

Most of my customers have access to FEL to unload lumber. I stack and sticker then band with poly, two bands up to 12' and 3 bands on 16'. Load on trailers with FEL. My stacks are 40" wide with 42" stickers. Place stacks on trailers onto 4X4. Customers can use straps under the stack on trailers with sides and lift with FEL. Also easy to figure BF in stack without counting each board. EX: For 4/4, 40"wide X 16' long divided by 12 equals 53.3BF per row X 10 rows equals 533 BF. I pull boards same as Larry, use dragback and place on stack using "Bibby" horses.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Ford F350 Dually, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 08:45:55 am »
We are mobile and do custom sawing, and the lumber is usually dead-stacked!

Once in a while a customer will ask us to sticker, which adds quite a lot of time to the saw job.

Question is: How much would be a fair price to charge for the stickering?

Also extra is cutting the stickers, placing the stickers and cutting them to the width of the stack!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF, Retired Bus Driver, and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG24 (Onan) - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener & Single Tooth Setter
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
4 ft Logrite cant hook, and others.  I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline grweldon

• Just Stuff! (my personal blog)
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 10:24:50 am »
The three sawyers I have talked to around here all charge $.40/bf. and none of them are portable, you must bring the lumber to them.  Just more info for the discussion.
Timberking 1400, Ford 3910 Tractor, John Deere 350B Crawler/Loader