The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Reports From The States  (Read 66269 times)

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
Re: Reports From The States
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2002, 01:27:09 pm »
Pennsylvania

Twenty-seven of 30 license holders took an elk in Pennsylvania's first elk hunt in 70 years.

The one-day hunt last November produced 15 bulls and 13 anterless elk. Patterned after Michigan's hunt, license holders were required to attend a pre-hunt orientation program.

The state's elk heard is estimated at around 700 animals.
~Ron

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2002, 03:09:44 pm »
That herd is pretty localized.  It is mainly in one county in the NW portion of the state.  In the past few years, they have expanded the herd into the central part of the state, where there is a good portion of state land.

There is a pretty bad problem with ag damage due to the elk.  There was one farmer who shot several of them.  The state tried to cart him off to jail, but the farmer prevailed.

Pennsylvania also started a bobcat season.  It is the first one in several decades.  It is not too popular with the hunters, who don't think there is large enough population to support hunting.

There are also reports of big cats in several areas of the state.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline Bud Man

• "MAKE EM HAPPY WHILE YOU MAKE A BUCK & EN
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2002, 03:43:55 pm »
Arkansas and Tennessee have introduced  Elk herds that have reached harvestable herd sizes as well.  Sure is suprizing  to see your first one when it happens,   :D :Dhad a guy that shot one and was thinking he had a world record whitetail untill he checked it in to a check station.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Offline swampwhiteoak

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2002, 05:07:36 pm »
They introduced them to KY a few years back.  They allowed a hunt this season, but I never heard what came of it.

Funny thing is they introduced some of them very close to Virginia.  Virginia doesn't want elk.  So in KY you have to be lucky and get a permit and probably pay an arm and a leg to shoot one.  But if they cross the state line you can shoot them any time of the year.  At least that is my understanding.

Offline Bud Man

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2002, 07:40:45 pm »
Tennessee herd is on Kentucky border in the Land Between The Lakes Area. They have a drawing for very limited amount . Fee is $110  I think (Residents Only). The Elk are on an area almost surrounded by water and they are about as tame as zoo animals.  Doesn't look too sporting to me !!  Arkansas herd is in N.W. Ozarks, Permit about $1000, and if you get one you earn it because ot the tremendous and difficult terrain you have to cover  !!  
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Offline psychotic1

• Full Member x2
  • Earth First   We'll log the other planets later
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2002, 09:48:27 am »
Elk, moose, caribou, reindeer, sitka black tail deer, black and brown bears, more fish that you can kill.  Deer season from August first through the end of the year- "take four, They're small".  
In order to get the elk, moose etc, I'd have to drive (ferry) up to fairbanks and hire a float-plane to fly me in to the hunting area.  Expensive.  But if you get a couple of guys together, it ain't too bad.
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Offline Bud Man

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2002, 12:20:27 pm »
While driving about 60 miles East of Memphis (1999) my attention was drawn to some critters in a field.    I pulled over to glass the field and discovered 3 Rhinos and about 20 Elk type critters of the 500 lb. type (species unknown).    Thought about harvesting the lead Rhino but realized my vehicle wasn't big enough to get him in the back, and that he probably would crush the hood or roof.  Next time I go that way I will pull trailer with big winch.   Wonder how much a Rhino tag goes for. :D :D

Offline psychotic1

• Full Member x2
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2002, 10:57:41 pm »
I'm not worthy

I just can't even imagine seeing that in a field.  And I DanG sure don't want to have to hang it and skin it out.

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2002, 10:11:06 am »
Here in Southeastern Minnesota there are several ranches that raise buffalo and one that I know of that has a huge herd of elk.  Up in the iron range area and on up to Canada there are quite a few moose.  A few years back, my cousin and I were cross country skiing, came around a bend and there was a moose. :o  He lumbered away from us and went into the woods and MAN was I glad. I've heard about moose getting all ticked off over nothing and going into an attack phase.  There was one moose in Northern Minnesota that attacked a moving train one time. Notice I used the word 'was'. I think the moose lost that battle.   ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2002, 02:30:35 pm »
I remember a story from India involving an elephant and a train,  she T-boned the engine, the train lost :D

Offline Bud Man

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2002, 03:11:30 pm »
That elephant and the train duel is what claimed the life of P.T. Barnum's famous 15 ton  elephant "Jumbo", didn't say what effect it had on the train, but bet it took a while to clean up !!

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2002, 03:33:03 pm »
   (3 giant steps ot)- saw a show last nite where 2 young lions were trying to get to maturity. They'd made their first kill near a waterhole- took down a water buffalo or something- I missed the first part of the show. There was some VERY interesting footage of both elephants and rhinos at the same waterhole registering their displeasure at the lions' actions- and blocking their access to the kill. It reminded me of my herd's actions this winter when I was traversing the pasture with the remains of my butchering of the herd bull. They'd gotten very agitated and were trying to block my way. It was so weird.. but it is interesting that, if big enough, even herbivores will have a take-charge attitude about what goes on in carnivore behavior. Size matters!   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Bud Man

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2002, 03:48:49 pm »
Lw -  Almost all animals of any species have a reaction to the smell of blood or  distress call from one of their own.  Heard of some strange reactions within cows in the close proximity of a butchering occuring within their midst.  Not big on giving advise but even tame cows get testy and can become unruly or dangerous real quick(especially bulls). They will re-establish a pecking order almost immediately.  Be Carefull !!!

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2002, 12:16:20 pm »
Michigan

The Sierra Club is urging Michigan's U.S. senators to require increased use of wind and solar power.

In ads running this week-end, the Sierra Club asks senators to support a bill that would require 20 percent of the nation's energy to come from renewable resources by 2020.

The Sierra Club is spending several thousand dollars on the ads, which are running in Michigan, Georgia, New Hampshire, and Florida.
~Ron

Offline psychotic1

• Full Member x2
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2002, 12:28:05 pm »
That's great..  As long as the Sierra Club is gonna help pay the tax rebates required to get people to set up the equipment.  Renewable energy is great (and I do include wood heat, though I doubt the SC does)  But it's still quite expensive.  There are several states which are offering rebates and incentives of up to 50% of the initial costs, but you're still looking at 8-10,000 bucks for a integral roof/solar panel setup pulling in 2KW on sunny days.  If they'll help pay for it, or if they'll use it in their own homes first, I'm all for it.

I get upset every time wind power is mentioned up here.  One of the windier places in the country, and the city/borough have outlawed windmills.  GRRRR >:(

Bruce

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2002, 05:12:58 pm »
I haven't been keeping up on this thread til tonight.  Elk what a pain in the a$$.  Much of the work I do as a MDNR Wildlife Div. employee is directly related to them so they do pay the bills but...  I also farm a little and we've got a herd of bulls here west of Wolverine that is really hard on crops.  Especially corn.  If it wasn't for the fact that I work for the DNR I'm pretty sure I would have started killing them years ago.  I can sympathize with the farmer in Pa.  Last year I only had four of them but in previous years there have been as many as 14.  A ten acre corn patch doesn't stand much of a chance.  There is an early season aimed at killing these beasts that have strayed from the core area that is the Pigeon River State Forest but these early hunts are tough and many of the hunters are VERY inexperienced.  Added to that my bulls split from this area like clockwork.  As soon as the rut starts the first week in Sept they are gone in search of cows and the season doesn't start til the second week >:(.  I did get one of them killed in the Dec hunt.  He was an 825 7X8.  I'm sure he tasted good as he ate on my corn most of the summer and fall.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Frank_Pender

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2002, 08:08:54 pm »
The darn things keep pushing over my 12' Cottonwood Whips.  I have had to replant 3 years in a row.  >:( I put 5' high corrigated plastic raps around them to keep them from getting horned to death by the deer but the Elk are a different story. :'(  Out of about 300 planted each year, I am able to possibly save two or three.  At that rate I will have to replant for about the next thirty years.   Heck, I'll be 77 and still trying to get the darn things to grow, without the critters doing the early thinning and selective logging for me. :-[
Frank Pender

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2002, 05:20:24 am »
   Yay! The map is growing, and quite useful! I was just reading Corley5's post about elk as PIA. So I jumped over and found him (Corley5 ) on the map and said to myself 'elk hunt, hmm, elk hunt'... makes one to wonder. What are the terms on that? Is it residents only? I'd only thought of elk hunts in terms of Montana and etc.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2002, 08:23:51 am »
It's a residents only hunt.  Licenses are given on a lottery system.  You apply for one by paying a four dollar fee.  If you're name is drawn your license will be either antlerless only or hunter choice.  That is after you pay another $100.00 and attend the mandatory orientation.  The DNR tries to keep the herd around 1,000 animals.  Usually there are 200-300 permits issued per year.  These permits are spread over two or three hunts.  There is a hunt in mid to late Sept and the big hunt in Dec.  The last two years there has also been a late Aug. hunt.  Two years we also a Jan. hunt to clean up some of the animals that were straying into farm country but we didn't have one last year.  I'm not sure if the Aug. hunts are going to continue either.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2002, 01:58:54 pm »
Corley,
Do you do any guiding for the elk hunters? Allow them to hunt on your property?
~Ron