The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: National Forests  (Read 16129 times)

Offline ashes

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: National Forests
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/us/tom...html?hpt=hp_c1

sorry if its a repost, but what do you guys think about this?

Offline woodtroll

• Forester
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 12:06:03 pm »
ashes
the link was removed, what was it about?

Offline ashes

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 03:32:15 pm »
Oh sorry.

The link was about Toombstone AZ. The FS was blocking the city from doing repair on a water pipeline that ran from a wilderness area. I guess the town had established the pipeline before the FS was even established. There were wildfires that had damaged portions of the line and they needed to fix it because the springs were the only water source.

I will try to find a working link.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 03:45:00 pm »
US Forest Service Considers Using Explosives to Bring Down Trees

Missoulian (May 13) - Paul Bunyan wouldn't have known what to make of Gordon Ash's little logging crew in the Pioneer Mountains last week. Instead of axes or saws, the US Forest Service team went after trees with sticks of high explosive.

Blasting trees makes sense in certain situations. Insect-killed trees in particular can pose hazards that healthy forests don't. They often rot from the inside, making them prone to shattering or falling in unpredictable directions. Put that rotten tree on a cliffy hillside over a road, and there's no safe way for a lumberjack or mechanical cutter to cut it down.

The E-Forester
~Ron

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 04:16:48 pm »
Amazing what these kids running the USFS these days dream up for solutions. Blowing up frozen cows to now blowing up trees.  8) 8) :D :D :D

No safe way for a lumberjack or mechanical cutter to get to the dead tree, but a dynamite expert can be there in a jiffy, no problem.  Hmmm?  Maybe they helicopter him/her in there to plant the explosive while hanging from the 'copter?
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline ashes

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 04:58:24 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/us/tombstone-water-fight/index.html

This is the link to the article I was trying to show you guys. might have to copy and paste to view because I clearly am uncapable of posting the link.

I read about the use of explosives to remove trees and also the frozen cows. Itchy trigger finger?

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 12:11:56 am »
US Forest Service Workers Fell Day's Worth of Trees in a Second with Blasts

Missoulian (May 24) - A day's worth of logging took place in less than a second on a hillside above Hahn Creek as a blasting crew distributed about 100 pounds of explosive sticks among 37 dead pine trees that threatened a stretch of the Hahn Creek Road.

The decision to blast instead of saw was driven by several factors. Wednesday's project took out 37 trees with a crew of five working about 2 hours. It would take a single chain saw operator about 10 hours to do the same job, given the steep terrain and lack of maneuvering room for more co-workers.

Trees that have snapped midway up the trunk, or lost part of their roothold, or have tipped and tangled into surrounding timber, all may be too unsafe for a sawyer to tackle. A blaster can place a charge without ever moving the suspect tree.

The E-Forester
~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 07:35:37 pm »
R4: Forest Service road crew provides road maintenance training to the Marine Corps

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest road crew personnel will conduct a two-day training session this week with the Marine Corps’ Heavy Equipment Section to lengthen the life-span of the road network and maintain water quality. This high-elevation training site’s 47,000 acres are located on the Bridgeport Ranger District, near Bridgeport, Calif., along Sonora Pass, in the Eastern Sierras. The Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center is one of the Corps’ most remote and isolated posts. They conduct formal schools for individuals and battalion training in summer and winter mountain operations.

The Chief's Newsletter

P.S. Has anyone spent time with the USMC at Bridgeport, CA?
~Ron

Offline ashes

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 02:39:39 pm »
Those guys came to Kirkwood ski area every year that I worked there to train. Mostly to learn to ski and get around for the new guys. It was always fun to have beers with the guys in the evening. The close proximity allowed me to see military aircraft fly around there pretty often.

It was funny to hear the responces when you asked the guys if they enjoyed the skiing. Some thought it was like a vacation, and some got tired of getting beat up on the ski hill every day.

All I met were really nice guys.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »
Dixie National Forest Pulls Logging Plan

Utah Daily Herald, July 15th
Federal foresters have backed away from logging a high-country swath of spruce in southern Utah, handing a victory to environmental groups fearing for the survival of a rare hawk. The Alliance for the Wild Rockies and the Utah Environmental Congress say logging would have removed old-growth forests north of Escalante that support a dwindling population of goshawks. They held up the logging plan in federal courts and took credit for the reversal by the U.S. Forest Service. Logging proponents say the decision leaves conditions in the dense forest ripe for a catastrophic wildfire in the area north of Escalante. "It's dying faster than you can think. Beetles are wiping it out," Bruce Chappell, a logger and log home builder in Lyman, told The Salt Lake Tribune.

The E-Forester

~Ron

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 11:48:58 am »
Never knew goshawks to be rare.  We have plenty of them around here and the forests are being logged steadily in a mostly sustainable fashion.  It xould be the escalante goshawks are in decline due to the maturation of the forest and loss of openings where mice thrive.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 04:20:11 pm »
R9: Michigan National Forests and The National Wild Turkey Federation join forces

The National Forests of Michigan (Huron-Manistee, Hiawatha and Ottawa) signed an agreement with the National Wild Turkey Federation to increase coordination in achieving wildlife habitat restoration and enhancement. The agreement includes jointly funding a biologist to help with program development and project completion, collaborating to find additional resources for projects, enhancing collaboration in the conservation of turkey habitat and preservation of our hunting heritage, implementing and promoting the use of stewardship contracts and restoration of fire-adapted ecosystems. Other opportunities for increased outdoors activities and volunteer projects include Juniors Acquiring Knowledge, Ethics and Sportsmanship and Wheelin’ Sportsmen outreach programs.

The Chief's Newsletter
~Ron

Offline terry f

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 01:14:10 pm »
    Ron, do you collect the America the beautiful quarters? If you do, go to a coin store and get a proof set to really appreciate their beauty.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 05:04:31 pm »
2012 Capitol Christmas Tree preparing for trek to nation’s capital

The Blanco Ranger District of the White River National Forest is making final preparations for the harvesting and tour of the 2012 Capitol Christmas Tree. The 73 foot Engelmann spruce will be harvested on Nov. 2 and begin its national tour to the nation’s Capitol. There will be a celebration in the town of Meeker after the harvesting. An artfully painted Mack truck, which will transport the tree to Washington, D.C., arrived at the district office this past week. Visit the official website to learn more and track the tree’s journey to the nation’s Capitol.

The Chief's Newletter
~Ron

Offline ashes

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 05:31:29 pm »
That's pretty cool Ron. I bet those guys are proud. 73' spruce is quite the Christmas tree.

Offline Handymark

• I'm new!
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 09:03:51 pm »
What is DBH on a 73' spruce? I wanna saw something.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:43 pm »
US Forest Service waives fees during Veterans Day weekend

WASHINGTON, Oct. 23, 2012 –The U.S. Forest Service is waiving fees at most of its day-use recreation sites over the Veterans Day holiday weekend, Nov. 10-12. The fee waivers – the fourth this year -- are offered in cooperation with other federal agencies under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act. Day-use fees will be waived at all standard amenity fee sites operated by the Forest Service.  Concessionaire operated day-use sites may be included in the waiver if the permit holder wishes to participate.

The Chief's Newsletter
~Ron

Offline Rocky_Ranger

• Forester
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 09:56:09 am »
Been on the road for three weeks and glad to be finally home; I see the Region 3 Regional Forester and Region 9 RF have either retired, or are going to at t he end of the year.  Also, I've never seen so many district ranger jobs open - I bet 15 - 20 positions across the country.  I seen a recent poll on leadership positions above the GS-14 level are in the 80% range for retirement elgibilities...
RETIRED!

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2012, 04:29:22 pm »
I talked with Region 9 Regional Forester Chuck Myers at the USFS Convention in Vail Colorado in September and he said that he was retiring the end of September but I haven't heard on the recruitment of a new RF as yet. I've known Chuck since he started on the Allegheny NF in 1978.
~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 05:06:36 pm »
Watch for "Seeking the Greatest Good".

A new film produced for PBS by public TV station WVIA of Scranton, PA traces the life of Gifford Pinchot, founder of the Society of American Foresters and first chief of the US Forest Service. The full name of the movie is Seeking the Greatest Good: The Conservation Legacy of Gifford Pinchot.

Forest Timeline