The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: New to Forestry Forum and living off-grid on timberland in Orgeon  (Read 8532 times)

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
Re: New to Forestry Forum and living off-grid on timberland in Orgeon
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 07:59:30 am »
Schweizer -  I am an Orthopaedic surgeon - subspecialty:  trauma
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline dail_h

• Senior Member x2
  • G-Diddy and the Baby Hurlenator
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 06:09:06 pm »
   Hey Marcus,
     welcome man,,glad to see u over here. I'm on both the other forums (Dail R H ). now all u need is a coupla sawmills  ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 07:29:40 pm »
Great web page I sure like your heating stove,very interesting thaks for scharing your adventure.
Bill

Offline crcoffeeguy

• I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 04:01:04 pm »
Hey Marcus,
Great project!
I'm from Oregon, but now I live offgrid in Costa Rica. Looks like you have the same power setup I've got, but we use micro hydro.
Anyway, I was at the GEK gasifier workshop in Berkely CA a couple months ago, and we worked on a project that converts a lister engine into a woodgas burner. They started putting it together and had it working by sunday(an on hands prototype the visitors helped put together). It worked!
It would sure be nice to burn wood chips and have clean exhaust than used oil.(Yuck!)
You should check it out. Since you only need the gasifier and no engine or gen set it could work out very well for you.
They are really into this project and want to power listers all over the world with alternative fuels.
The exhaust from this is water CO2 and a few NOx's. It's definitely a cleaner option.
Look forward to seeing your progress.
Roger

Offline WoodenHead

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 10:23:32 pm »
Excellent website and love your property Marcus!

We have been living off-grid for almost 7 years now.  We have a 2.76kW solar array, a 1kW wind turbine, and a small microhydro setup driven by our artesian well for power sources, as well as a Lister-Petter 7kW back-up diesel generator.  We have what I would now consider older Xantrex SW inverters (2 x 4kW), two MX60 charge controllers (one for expansion), and 12 x 4V (1400Ah) Rolls batteries.

We designed and built our house with being off-grid in mind.  Initially we started with 6kWh/day energy consumption.  Since our family grew (we now have 5 kids), our power consumption is now about 12kWh/day.  On top of that I now operate a renewable energy business from home (I sell panels, inverters, batteries and so on) and operate a sawmill+accessories, so our energy needs have been growing.  The 7.5HP planer and 5HP dust collector have posed the greatest challenge yet because of their starting requirements.

I'm impressed with how well-thought out everything looks from your website.  And from the pictures you've posted, I would say that your stream has considerable potential for providing for your energy needs.  You may also want to consider a larger battery bank.  The general rule of thumb is 3-5 days of storage capability without draining the batteries to less than 50% of full.  At 10kWh/day usage this would mean a battery bank between 60kWh and 100kWh. There are batteries that should last 15-20 years if treated well, but you also pay more for them  ;)  If you make use of your stream, especially if it runs all year, then I would say that it is less important to increase your battery bank.

Spectacular property!  I am jealous of your powerhouse, let alone your house.   

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 02:25:35 pm »
Very interesting!! We are currently off grid at my sugarhouse (I make maple syrup). We have at this point 3240 watts of solar, with a 6000 watt diesel generator as backup. We however are in the process of grid tying and adding more panels. We will maintain battery backup. We are just getting quotes to double our array wattage. I installed my own so far but to go net metering I'm being required to use a approved/certified solar installer.
I really enjoy seeing and reading about those who use solar, especially off grid, but we decided we could not pass up the net metering and the various incentives available with grid tie. I met yesterday with a planner from our local utility to get power run into the sugarhouse, a distance of 425' from the power lines. Going 250' overhead primary and then 175' underground secondary.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline justallan1

• Senior Member x2
  • living and learning
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 08:19:15 pm »
Wow, Awesome site. Any new updates?

Offline Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Another "traveling man"
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 08:24:22 pm »
He hasnt been signed on in nearly a year...Hope he come back with updates.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Offline justallan1

• Senior Member x2
  • living and learning
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 03:30:51 pm »
OOPS, lol

Offline jackfork

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 02:24:23 am »
Very impressive. I was wondering if you thought the masonry stove kit was worth the price? I had some interest until I saw the price. Now not so sure.
540 acres of which appox. 300 is wooded, 10 acres of water, and rest open pasture.
Timberwolf TW-5, Stihl 180, 270, 660, Echo CS-680

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2017, 07:08:43 am »
This build included a masonry heater, you have to see it on his web site.
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.