Please visit this sponsor

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: logging winch  (Read 12886 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
Re: logging winch
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 07:43:16 am »
Looked at an old Farmi this week that looked like this one but rusty   Link

Are you sure you can even get parts for that?

Saw a decent Fransgard v4000 for $1800, maybe too big for a compact tractor?

As thecfarm mentioned, the v4000 should work fine on the larger compact tractors. I haven't seen a lot of Fransgard winches in my area. However, it's right between a Farmi 351 and a 501 for weight, and just a bit over the 351 for pulling power (351 = 7700#, V4000 = 8800#, Farmi 501= 11,000#). I've seen Farmi 351s on all sorts of compacts. The 501 I see on larger compacts (40 HP & up) and into the Utility farm tractor size range.
Small time fire-wooder in a neighborhood cooperative.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 08:13:04 am »
I would be more concerned about the 2 legs than the parts.That's why they all have a blade on the bottom now. Keeps the tractor from sliding backwards or with legs one catch on something and the other don't,I would think the tractor would try to come around sideways.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 08:31:37 am »
My farmi just has two legs like that and I've never had a problem with the tractor moving while winching, but I also have it on an 11-12k lbs tractor not a little compact. If both legs don't "bite" into the ground because the ground is uneven then you can adjust each legs height individually to match the terrain.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:21 am »
I would be more concerned about the 2 legs than the parts.That's why they all have a blade on the bottom now. Keeps the tractor from sliding backwards or with legs one catch on something and the other don't,I would think the tractor would try to come around sideways.

I didn't realize Farmi had stopped making the 351 with the legs instead of the blade. Personally, I prefer the blade, since I have some uses for that (clearing snow from a trail/landing, minor grading work or cleaning out water bars, etc.) It also does do a good job of helping to anchor my smaller tractor.

The model with legs does have some advantages as well: the "toe" on the end of each leg is better at picking up an end of a log to maneuver it around than the blade is. The clear space underneath allows you to still use the tractor's draw bar for pulling heavy loads while the winch is attached.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 07:39:29 am »
I kinda was talking more about winter logging. Hard to tell what's you are on in a foot of snow. I still would prefer a blade. My blade folds up so I can use my drawbar too.  Probaly not many of us with a tractor that size under us too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 10:11:14 am »
Our local Farmi dealer doesn't stock or even attempt to sell the model with the legs. Everyone seems to want the blade.

I love that blade for the snow clearing, even though I usually have my loader on. I've got a Uniforest 35E winch (similar to a Farmi 351). The blade doesn't fold. I can raise it up enough to use a trailer in a pinch (if the tongue is long enough and if I stay on relatively smooth ground, so I don't crunch the tongue under the blade when going through a ditch). 

The larger Uniforest models come with an adapter that can be bolted on to a rib that runs up the middle of the blade. I noticed that my winch was drilled for this, so I bought one of the adapters from the distributor. I ended up replacing the bolts with pins and clips, so I can get it on and off without tools. It works pretty well. Probably not as good as the built in receiver hitch I've seen on some other winches. This does work fine for pulling a half cord of green firewood in my homebrew woods trailer (usually Beech, 1/2 cord = about 2500 to 3000 lbs.) I could pull more, but that's all that will fit in my trailer, at least until I get around to extending the sides up.

Offline rogdan

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 02:22:01 pm »
As thecfarm mentioned, the v4000 should work fine on the larger compact tractors.
Thanks, I may make an offer once I see how useful the gas winch I picked up is (or isn't). 

Offline simonmeridew

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 04:49:49 pm »
agree with poster about hitching the smaller logs being harder on the tractor, especially fenders and TAILLITES. They jump up and down as you drive out. Make sure they're on a short leash when you hitch to the winch slots, that is, chain within 8 inches or so of butt end, then hitch the butt close to the winch. The heavier 12" to 20" logs just seem to stay down where they belong once you start to yard 'em out.
Only thing I can say re mechanical vs hydraulic is that the only issue you have is the wire rope may get a bad overlay and won't pull out without hitching to a tree and driving forward a couple of feet. I can't see that hydraulic would help that any. Otherwise my Farmi 351 is foolproof on my Kubota L4400
simonmeridew

Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Offline Furu

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2012, 12:24:58 am »
Farmi's are indeed bulletproof as others have said.  A snatch block is invaluable.  You do not want to winch other than from near directly aft of the tractor as things happen fast and can roll a tractor very quick. Use of the snatch block can keep the pull redirected to +/- 10 degrees of aft very easy.  Size the winch for the tractor that you have, winch slowly and don't rush a pull even if it is a small one.  If a log hangs up on a stump bad things happen if pulling too quickly.  My Farmi 501 is one of my best pieces of equipment for moving things in the woods.

Tor Arne

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 04:52:22 pm »
There are many good winches on the market like Farmi, Tajfun, Fransgård and Igeland. Igeland has a good selection of one and two Tumbled winches from 4,409 pounds to 19,800 pounds, the loss requires a tractor of 15-30HP and the largest 80hp and up.

Link
http://www.igland-as.com/

Offline rfm7fxfox

• Loggers do it best in the woods!!
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 05:02:21 pm »
FARMI!!!!
Dont worry I hugged it before I cut it!

If you dont like loggers try wiping your @$$ with plastic toilet paper!

Ported Johnsered 2166,Tree Farmer C5D, Timberjack 450C D.A. Grapple