The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Firewood Bags  (Read 17271 times)

Offline jueston

Re: Firewood Bags
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 08:04:31 pm »
i just ran into these on craigslist and thought of this thread

they are something like 4*4*4, and at only $5 each it might be worth it, i think some customers would like it being so orginized and neat.

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 11:58:44 pm »
 Doesn't look like firewood would dry very well in that box.  ::)

Or are you thinking something else in the box?
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline jueston

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 12:15:42 pm »
thats true i was thinking of putting dried firewood into the box, but i guess that is just one more time you have to handle the wood.

Offline logboy

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 11:24:46 pm »
This summer I came across a guy up north who was getting out of the firewood business and was selling off his stuff.  He used these knockdown pallet cages that are used to enclose pallet sized chemical tanks. I picked up 20 of them.  They are heavy (200 pounds each) and each hold a face cord. Now I stack my wood in them right off the processor. When I need wood in the house I pick one up with the Bobcat and set it outside the basement door and open one end of the cage.  No more multiple handling of wood.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Offline CuddleBugFirewood

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 01:56:34 pm »
I have the bags you are talking about.  I bought 200 bags and the metal "cage".  We made a "merry-go-round" that had 4 bays.  We put net bags in each bay and just rotated the bays under the converyor.  So I didn't use the "cage" as the manufacture intended and I was not impressed with the bags.  some bags would become lopsided and it was a nightmare to stack one on top of one another.  That could be our fault for not using the cage the way the manufacture intended. 

I believe the 1/3 cord measurement they reference is misplaced, they actually hold 1/4 cord of loose stacked firewood.  If you physically stacked the firewood, it would be 1/3 cord.  We ship in 53' van trailers and it was my experience the bags did not hold the form needed to ship in a van containor as stated above.  The bags would work fine if you had a place to set them on your lot for your customers.  I mostly wholesale, so I don't need them.  The local customers that have come out and picked up firweood really liked the quality of the firewood in the bags as they provide great airflow and the pallet keeps the firewood off the ground.

I also tried bulk piling firewood in a pile (150 full cords or 450 face cords) and I was highly disapointed.  the middle of the pile grow mushrooms and did not dry out, it also became dirty and black from rainwater, sawdust, and dirt from the wood on top of it.  If someone is doing large piles, they are having to dry their wood a different way or maybe doing it on concrete, because it did not work for me.  I am not talking about 6 cord or 10 cord piles, as when I first started out that is what I had and the firewood gennerally dried out fine, but if you are doing large quanities of wood, you will run into many issues with seasoning that much firewood. 

We now stack all our firewood on 1/3 cord or 1/2 cord pallets and do not use the bags.  If you are interested in the bags I would be willing to part with the remaining bags and the sides (enough for two complete cages).   

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 05:28:08 pm »
Maurice your repeated posting of essentially the same link over and over is beginning to look a lot like spam. Especially noticeable are that these are your first 4 posts. Legitimate or not, you only have to mention it once. There must be more to talk about than firewood bags.

I guess it's been taken care off. ;)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline CRThomas

• Full Member x2
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 02:37:59 am »
Is anyone using bulk firewood bags rather than piling? We do about 40-50 cord a year for re-sale and looking to get away from piling. Trouble is most people up here that use processors don't pile it but just put it in a heap to dry. (Yea right!) If the consumer see's it piled you can't keep the stuff in the yard and I don't want to ruin that.
 The apache bags hold about 1/3 of a cord and. just wondered ho well it would dry in such a thng. Sure would save a step in the wood buisness.
Thanks
Brian

Offline CRThomas

• Full Member x2
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 02:43:31 am »
I use Dino bags and they will let firewood dry they are about ten dollars a bag the hold one rank dropped in I order them 10 at a time keep about 30 full all the time.

Offline Tom L

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 08:08:59 am »
I know this is an old thread, but I too have started using dino bags this past spring and have been happy with them. full load on my processor deck, then move the tractor over to the end of the conveyor and hang a bag on tractor forks, just under a half cord per bag, just at the limit of what my tractor can lift. the best thing is that I never have to pick up a piece of wood by hand. just load up a bag and move it over to a pallet
drawstring the top and leave it there. cover 4 bags with a small tarp weighted on the corners . wood has been drying nicely this summer, and is ready to go for the winter

Offline glassman_48

• 1-231-258-4246-work/ed/231-564-2672/cell
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 05:23:21 pm »
I have the bag system also, I went to a logging show and the vendor selling them told me that if you put green wood in them they would be ready for the wood stove in 40 days.  I still cannot believe that, I dont have a moisture meter but when I do I will check the moisture content.  I usually bag up about 50 pallets each summer when I dont have much to do.  Last winter I sold every bag I had and I was getting 50 bucks a bag.  The bags cost me about 8 bucks each and are supposed to last 8 to 10 times. 

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 05:56:48 pm »
I can't believe that putting wood into a bag would speed up drying as it would certainly limit airflow. I'd expect some mold but will be interested in hearing how the drying goes "in the bag". 

"ready for the wood stove" means a lot of different things to a lot of people. ;)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 09:31:51 am »
I have the bag system also, I went to a logging show and the vendor selling them told me that if you put green wood in them they would be ready for the wood stove in 40 days.  I still cannot believe that,

And I'm sure you are right not to believe it. Drying time will vary by species, but if you want to be burning properly seasoned wood, 40 days from the time it's cut and split is not going to be "ready for the wood stove" -- unless you are planning on putting that bag of wood in a kiln to dry.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline blackfoot griz

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 01:43:30 pm »
I am trying a different variation of the firewood bag.  I bought a 1000 ft roll of netting that is 56 inches tall.  I built a 4' x 48" tall hinged frame to wrap around the pallet.  I take the netting and staple a tack strip around the base and fold the netting over the top of the pallet and clamp it.  Once the pallet is full, I take a strand of baling twine and loop it through the top and cinch it up.  So far so good.

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 01:54:29 pm »
A pic or three showing that variation would be great to see.  8)
south central Wisconsin

Offline blackfoot griz

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 03:20:02 pm »
A pic or three showing that variation would be great to see.  8)

I am 30 miles from home...playing phone tag w/Magicman who is wandering around Montana!
I will post some pics this weekend.

Offline CRThomas

• Full Member x2
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 05:07:12 am »
Is anyone using bulk firewood bags rather than piling? We do about 40-50 cord a year for re-sale and looking to get away from piling. Trouble is most people up here that use processors don't pile it but just put it in a heap to dry. (Yea right!) If the consumer see's it piled you can't keep the stuff in the yard and I don't want to ruin that.
 The apache bags hold about 1/3 of a cord and just wondered ho well it would dry in such a thng. Sure would save a step in the wood buisness.
Thanks
Brian
I use Dino bags they about $10.00 a piece you can order 1 or 100 wood will dry the way there vented I stack them on pallets to keep them off the ground and to make them last. Some of mine our 8 years old. The wood in some of the back bags is 8 years old. I check them no mildew the wood is under 15 percent but that is our average moister percent in my area.

Offline labradorguy

• I stand for our Anthem
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 02:23:04 pm »
Does anyone know how much wood (16" splits) one of these Dino bags holds?

Offline rjwoelk

• countrysidefirewood
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2017, 08:11:52 pm »
Google potato bags . They are vented. We have been using them from the start. Built holder frame to hold the bag and just process into them. 53 cubic ft. Set them on a pallet for drying. Would never stack by hand. We charge 15 for the bag , they get a 10 credit on their next order.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline labradorguy

• I stand for our Anthem
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2017, 08:42:30 pm »
I was looking pretty hard at trying the Palax Packer and Motti bags but there is just no dang way I am going to pay $520 for that "specially designed" Motti rack. If they were smart, they would give out the plans for the rack and sell more bags.