The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: What is the best outdoor wood furnace for the money????  (Read 112058 times)

Offline CTL logger

Re: What is the best outdoor wood furnace for the money????
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 12:39:14 pm »
I say central boiler I own 2 5036 boilers one heats my house, the other heats my shop. One is 10 years old never had any trouble. The dealer has one he's used for 18 years still going strong.

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 01:12:32 pm »
Check your state and local regs to see if you are required to install a gasification model or not.  This will be the biggest determinant of price.  Once that is decided, then you can get a real answer to your question.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Sonofman

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 04:07:02 pm »
I have a Central Boiler 4030 that I installed last fall. My only regret is that I did not do this years ago. It does not get real cold down here, so my furnace is not really tested. I have a very good dealer, as Doc and others have said, that is real important. Also go with a name brand heater from a company that has been around a while, has a good reputation and a good warranty.
Located due west of Due West.

Offline BigWill

• I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 12:39:44 pm »
Although the post is rather old I keep finding it in the browser so I'll share our experience. Our Polar g-class runs our main house and has so for the past 3 seasons. We also use an Empyre 200 for our apartment buildings and a Hawken traditional HE 2000 to run the garage and barn. I'll share with you our experience for each stove:

Empyre 200:

The idea and design of the stove was very exciting when we bought it however we never considered the maintenance aspect as well as what the manufacturer considers to be "consumable parts" *** ASK ABOUT CONSUMABLE PARTS AND THEIR PRICES *** These parts just so happened to be the very fragile fire brick that lines the entirety of the boiler. Like clockwork we have replaced the lining every year @ over $800.00 a pop not to mention the loss in efficiency as it starts to degrade.

Secondly from a maintenance perspective we spend at least 2+ hours a week destroying drill bits to clean out the 1 inch flue system that consists of 12+ horizontal and vertical exhaust tubes. This is BY FAR my biggest issue with this stove. I burn moisture tested wood in all of our units and this one plugs up CONSTANTLY regardless of my readings.

Hawken Traditional:

This stove is an absolute tank. Hands down this old timer beats them all in simplicity and ease of use. The efficiency isn't there (25% or less) but I can burn anything that falls in the forest. I've had to patch it over the years (going on 12 now) but all in all its been a good little boiler. Simple is better with these thing IMO and they nailed it with the old models at Hawken.

Polar G2:

This stove is why I felt the need to post. We've had this gasifier for 4 years now and I have to say if when i purchase a boiler to replace our soon to be outdated boilers (empyre and hawken) it'll be another Polar. I cannot sing enough praises for this thing. It is everything the Empyre is not in terms of ease of use and simplicity. Efficiency is amazing as I burn literally better than 1/2 the wood to heat the same space as our Hawken. In the 4 years of constant use I have replaced NOTHING. To clean the stove requires a shovel and a few turns of the sweep system. Simple, clean, efficient and VERY easy to use. 15 year warranty and my dealer here in NY checks up with us twice a year with a service contract. 100% worth checking out if you're digging through the mountain of options.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Again I realize this thread is old but I felt the need to get our experience out there. In case it wasn't clear I VOTE POLAR.

BigWill

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 08:37:46 pm »
mine still works fine, replaced the blower motor and the door gasket, but still no oil 13 14 years and toasty living.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster

Offline userdk

• Wood Heat is Good Heay
    • Outdoor Wood Boiler Dealer in Wisconsin
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 08:34:52 pm »
We really like our Heatmaster MF 10,000. It's been heating our drafty old house, our Milkhouse, all the hot water for dairy farm, and showers for 10 people now for 9 years. No problems whatsoever. Now we're hoping to upgrade to the new Heatmaster G400.

Offline glassman_48

• 1-231-258-4246-work/ed/231-564-2672/cell
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 07:40:57 pm »
sparky1,
I am a dealer for brute force firewood processors and outdoor wood boilers. (I just recently became a sponsor in here)  I have an interesting story, I went to the great lakes logging show last year in Escanaba Michigan. I had a couple dozen people ask me if I was going to carry brute force outdoor wood boilers along with their processors.  Those people talked so highly of the owb's I decided to carry that line also.  I hadn't even considered it until I heard from those people.  They are located in Wisconsin too, you can go to my website and get more info.  Clayton (the owner) will give you all the info you need, he is located in Dorchester Wisconsin.  It would be worth a phone call.  good luck

Offline Kbauer63

• Member*
  • I'm new!
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 10:23:24 am »
I purchased a portage and main EGR 250 and have been running it for 2 seasons now and could not be happier. the attention to detail in the workmanship and materials far exceeds all of the other units that we looked at prior to making our decision. I have every confidence in recommending their products to anyone seriously looking at out door wood furnaces

Offline rjwoelk

• countrysidefirewood
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 10:36:29 am »
I have been looking at the chip burners. Now that means more work but i have a firewood business  and lots of small scrap. The think i like about them is a big hopper load it up and good for a week or longer deprnding on size of hopper. The other advantage is it uses natural gas or propane or heating fuel to start the burn. So if you dont need it burning and wasting wood it just shuts down. Needs heat the preburner cuts in and the chips augar to the head and away you go.Down side bit more money.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline J 5

• I'm new!
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 06:58:17 am »
       I have had 2 Empyre 450 furnaces in 19 years , the first all steel /no draft and the second stainless /with draft. Both have had minor leaks  around the door on my first one and around the bottom tubes on the 2nd one. They do the job,I like the bottom ash pan for cleanout. I have always used dry wood in their operation and would never go back to wood in the house- garage. Would I buy another one, probably, haven't looked at the new ones lately, hope I don't have to. Furnaces are like cars , everybody makes the best one , in my opinion.
                     J 5

Online TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2017, 10:12:58 am »
We've had really good luck with Bryan (not Bryant) furnaces.  They are an outdoor forced air unit.  (I think everyone else mentions boilers.)  It will burn hedge and doesn't fuss much about moist wood, though we try to keep it dry.

My parents bought the first one in 94 and got 15 years out of it before needing to rebuild the firebrick.  8 years into that now.  The only other repairs have been a blower motor, a solenoid, and redoing the door seal.

We got ours WELL used 2 years ago and have only needed door seals.  Have a third now for the workshop.

It is the primary heater for both our houses and the electric furnace is really only used in the shoulder seasons to take the chill off in the morning.

I really only have two complaints.
1.  The forced air means you can only stuff the box so full.  We fill it as many as 6 times a day if real cold but at least three times a day.
2.  The cast iron grates tend to crack and warp and they ask a ridiculous amount for replacements.  (The rep apologized before giving me a quote.   :D)  A fireplace grate from any big box store makes a decent replacement as does the section of truck frame with extra holes that we use.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline armechanic

• I'm new!
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2017, 03:48:10 pm »
I have a Hardy, All stainless installed in 98,replaced the draft motor once. still going strong.  I didn't see this brand mentioned so must be a semi local unit, but see several around, very rural setting.  I live in the middle of 400 acres so no close neighbors.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

Offline E Yoder

• Heating with a HeatMaster GS100
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 03:33:45 pm »
I have worked with Heatmaster for quite a few years, am very pleased with what they've done with their new GS model line. A simple no frills efficient downdraft unit.
HeatMaster dealer support in VA.
GS100.

Offline rjwoelk

• countrysidefirewood
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 02:56:01 pm »
my company    Free Heat Machine   went out of business

apparently  opened up down the street with a new name

that said  I love it   stainless   7 years now flawless..... throw the wood in it burns

old style outside booster fan

burns almost any wood though does not do well with dead green pine only

paid 8400 for whole system

7 winters at 4000+ bucks in its cold here new hampshire = 28K

so somewhere around 20k saved        and where would all that 30 cord a year pine gone anyway

What all you heating to burn 30 cords a year. :o
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant