The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Cabin Addition  (Read 112978 times)

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
Re: Cabin Addition
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 05:57:53 AM »
Nice whack of logs.  That reminds me, I need to pick up a load of free logs today, or the owner is gonna burn them.  :o
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »
Fish, Do you want a 34" Pecan, or am I going to Hack-N-Squirt it?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
It looks nice and warm for getting those logs, opposed to me on Sunday picking logs up , that were buried under the snow, and slip and slide as I try to parbuckle them up the trailer, change gloves that are wet for dry ones, try not to sweat to much under all the heavy clothes, so you don't get cold when you stop working....
LT40HD, 742b Bobcat, Sthil v170,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 20 years now
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »
Magic: pecan makes some pretty lumber especially at that size- I cut up a couple last summer that are stickered and drying now and the boards look great.  I'd grab it if it's sound and make some nice quartersawn boards at 4/4 or 5/4...  if the trunk is straight, I'd definitely make something out of it.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »
I'm carrying all that my wagon will hold now.  Fish is considering coming over with his swinger and getting it.

I may finish sawing the Cabin Addition lumber tomorrow.  Plus, a couple of saw jobs are starting to push. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »
The rain slowed me down a bit, but I finished sawing the Cabin Addition lumber today.  Since I was working by myself, I had to just sorta dead stack/pile it up.  I have a Grandson that will help me sticker it tomorrow.  We will also haul the slabs to the road and I will put my "Free Wood" sign back up.

Rolling a stubborn logs with the end tong and log clamp.

Cabin Addition framing lumber.

From a different angle.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »
Well, there certainly is lots of building material there. ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 08:21:58 AM »
My plan was to be able to sticker as I sawed.   :-\

Since I have no building plans, my lumber needs will change as I build.  I may very well need additional lumber later.  My interior wall paneling hopefully will be salvaged barn lumber.  My ceiling will be metal shingles that I salvaged from my Grandparents old home.

The good thing is that I have no building requirements, permits, or anything like that to think or worry about.   :)  My next backache is to lay about 150 8X8X16 foundation blocks.   :'(

The roofing shingles came from this old home.  The barn is barely visible on the far left.  I'll have to get a good picture of it to document this project.

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 11:05:09 AM »
Good pile of lumber, Lynn. A lot to stack and sticker. I needed some 2X4's today so I grabbed a log and whipped out 24 right quick. I love having a mill and dead pine logs. ;D I was added that to my tally book and run a total. Little less than 50 thousand more feet and I can get me one of those black WM jackets. Guess I need to build a few more sheds before I'm too old to wear one. :D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »
And, get your name in the book.   :)   I haven't totaled up last year yet, but  I doubt that I will pass the big "M" this year.  There's a chance for next year.

I did get the stickering done today.  This old man's butt is dragging.  20' 2X10's and 16' 2X12's are heavy.  Plus all of those 2X6's, etc.

My get up and go has got up and went.   :-\

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 06:57:35 PM »
That's a lot of handling for any man. I have been going threw piles in the barn the last couple winters and cutting (high grading) the good from the bad (firewood). Some day I'll have to rebuild my lumber reserves.  I have also become a whole lot more educated as to which is potential twisty junk and what is likely to be decent lumber when it dries. The forum has been responsible for a good bit of this, but also a lot of hands on. ;D

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
I tallied my lumber this morning.  I've sawed 3200+bf, and the lumber tally shows that I should be OK with my framing needs.  I still need about 450bf of 1X6 for mudroom ceiling, etc.

I may just fell a Poplar to meet that need. 

Offline Burlkraft

• Senior Member x2
  • Professional survivor......Still a wooodturner
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
That's quite the pile of lumber you have there.

I know after a day of stacking and stickering it feels like your arms are a few inches longer  :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
Mostly stretches my knuckles.  I can hardly close my hands the next day,  :-\  well that, and the heating pad on my back.   ::)

I was about 450 bf short on my 1X6's and guess what? A guy just stopped by and asked if I wanted about 6 SYP trees. That should completely take care of my building needs. I will fell them, he will skid them, and we will load them.   :)

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 07:11:30 PM »
Nice work MM. I like the tong and clamp idea   ;D
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline clww

• Senior Member x2
  • Oh yeah? Watch this!
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »
Nice looking pile all stacked and stickered! 8) I used to work building houses before the military, so I know those 2 X12s are quite hefty and akward getting them moved around.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60" Husky 372XP
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver for Millis Transfer

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »
Earlier this week a guy stopped by while I was sawing.  He said he had six 12' Cypress logs, but he didn't need that much lumber.  (Read, not much money.)  I normally don't trade sawing for lumber, but I really could use some Cypress on the Cabin Addition.  He said that he also had some very nice ERC logs  ???

Another friend stopped by and asked if I needed any more SYP?  Yup, 450 bf worth.  He said that he had at least that much beetle killed trees.  Things are looking up with the lumber needs.   smiley_thumbsup

Anyway, he brought the Cypress logs over and we sawed them in a couple of hours.  My take was 288 bf of mostly 1X8's.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 09:31:04 PM »
Looks like dandy lumber from the cypress.   ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:35 PM »
Lynn,

You are living right!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 06:54:21 AM »
I've given a few sticks away to. In my situation I have no way to handle it. So the deal here is come get it or it's worm food. ;D

Dirty Harry