Please visit this sponsor

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Log Winch - Farmi, Tajfun, Wallenstein, Other??  (Read 18824 times)

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
Re: Log Winch - Farmi, Tajfun, Wallenstein, Other??
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 09:03:58 am »
Thanks to everyone who has posted, esp those with pic's ...I am in the process of building one and need to see those pic's....I have never seen a tractor logging winch here in this area so I am almost shooting in the dark...

Piney does yours pull straight out the back or does it have a headache rack of sorts?..Mine is a pto powered a Beldan...Tim
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 09:22:48 am »
Thanks to everyone who has posted, esp those with pic's ...I am in the process of building one and need to see those pic's....I have never seen a tractor logging winch here in this area so I am almost shooting in the dark...

Piney does yours pull straight out the back or does it have a headache rack of sorts?..Mine is a pto powered a Beldan...Tim

Mine pulls straight out the back through a set of fairlead rollers. Didn't need a headache rack. The 3 pt lift on my kubota will raise up nearly 4 ft. pics in my gallery, I can get more if needed. Can't find a name on the one on the dozer, the one on the kubota is a koenig.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline dmulac

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 07:56:58 pm »
I have a 351 P that I have had on an 855,4400,4410 and now a 3720. It works great, but can pull the tractor back if you don't keep your foot on the brake! I have had no issues with it and have pulled some very large trees. My 855 didn't have the power to lift a heavy hitch but the 3520 should do OK.

Offline vahighlander

• Riven Rock Farm
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 09:24:19 pm »
Love my Wallenstein- has a high and low pulley, which is an advantage over the entry level Farmi.....
LT40HD, Stihl saws, Kubota M, Wallenstein Winch/Chipper

Offline dmulac

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 04:51:27 pm »
Love my Wallenstein- has a high and low pulley, which is an advantage over the entry level Farmi....
Not true the 351P has a lower pulley too!

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 07:55:41 pm »
The entry level Farmi is the 290, not the 351 (If they are still making the 290?). I believe the 290 has only one pully, but it's been a while since I've seen one -- my local dealer no longer stocks the 290.

The 290 had other shortcomings as well, including a drive line that put the PTO shaft at a pretty large angle -- it tends to wear out U-joints quicker than the other models. (Though it probably would hold up quite a while for personal use -- someone just hauling in a few cords of firewood per year.)

John Mc
Small time fire-wooder in a neighborhood cooperative.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline wesdor

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 02:39:30 pm »
Update and follow up questions

I have prices on the Farmi, Tajfun, and Wallenstein.  All are within a few hundred dollars.

One reliable source has told me that the early Wallenstein's were not at all good, were pulled from the market and were replaced with good quality.  Anybody able to confirm that information?

The Tajfun is from an east coast dealer that has been very slow in responding to my requests.  Although the equipment looks good to me, the dealer situation gives me some concern.

That leaves me with the Farmi 351 or the Wallenstein FX 90.

The Farmi is rated to pull 7720 pounds and weighs 430 pounds

The Wallenstein is rated to pull 9000 pounds and weights 795 pounds.

My first thought was that a lighter winch would be a better choice, but after thinking about it, I wonder if the heavier winch would provide more ballast.  Any thoughts about how winch weight effects the machine and safety?

Thanks again for your thoughts and guidance.

Offline Reddog

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 04:06:05 pm »
Are any of the dealers local?

I would look at the lighter weight ones. I would compare the 351 to the FX65. The FX90 seems too large for your tractor.
With 7000# of pull will be hard to not pull your tractor all over. Plus if you carry a snatch block you have 14,000# of continues use winch.

Offline bill m

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 06:06:53 pm »
The Wallenstein FX90 is to heavy for a 37 hp. tractor. A lighter winch will give you more lifting capacity. If the east coast dealer for the Tujfun is the one I am thinking of they are a very good company but you are a little out of the area they normally serve. If you do decide to go with the Tujfun they will treat you very fair.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Sanbornton Construction L.L.C.
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 07:46:01 pm »
 I have a wallenstein 120 with my JD 70 hp works great. and has a removable ball hich. to pull my LT 40 super in to the woods with . the 120 will lock the cable too. lift and drive away. 8) 8) 8)
2008 LT40 super, And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline wesdor

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 08:34:44 pm »
As usual the amount of experience here is great.

You answer my question - the FX90 is too heavy.

So that leaves me with a local dealer who has treated me well for several years.  No offense to the east coast dealer but local means a lot to me.  Besides the local price is lower.

I'm leaning heavily to the Farmi 351 but will take one more look at the lower end Wallenstein.

Thanks again for the advice

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 09:16:36 pm »
The Farmi 351 is one of the better winches in its size range, IMO.

I was trying to decide between a 351 and a UniForest 35E (almost identical specs). I ended up with the 35E since it was cheaper (especially after you add the protective screen to the Farmi, which is standard on the Uniforest). I've been happy with the Uniforest, and it's working well for me but I'm not giving it very heavy use. If I had it to do over, I'd probably spend the extra for the Farmi.

John Mc
Small time fire-wooder in a neighborhood cooperative.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow