TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Farmi Winch Direct

Comstock Logging

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: cutting large log in half  (Read 7800 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
Re: cutting large log in half
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 07:44:59 am »
They sell a product now for splitting concrete and stone you drill a hole put it in and it expands and cracks,forget the name but it works.Sometimes you can take your chainsaw and cut a groove then use common splitting wedges, sorta work the crack along.Only sure thing it's a buster.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 06:45:51 pm »
I saw large logs in half with a chainsaw mill.  52" width of cut.  Have Alaskan and Sperber mills.  Both are modified to have the option of deeper than normal cuts.   The Alaskan is a 56", and I bought two uprights from them with 36" long vertical bars. Eric at Granberg sold these to me. The Sperber has round aluminum uprights which are end drilled to mount at the top.  I made 3 sets of auxiliary uprights from aluminum of the same diameter, which I end-drilled on the lathe, tapped, and inserted a threaded stud of the same diameter/thread in order to make extensions which I add to the top of the mill's uprights to extend the depth of cut.  Have used it to quarter very large logs too big for the wood-mizer to quarter,  under 4' diameter.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   W-M LT40SHDD w/42HP Kubota, Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. LogRite fetching arch, capstan PortaWinch, W-M CBN sharpener/dual setter. Rens P4000 Metal detector.

Offline jdtuttle

• If it's worth doin, it's worth doin right
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 08:23:14 pm »
I saw large logs in half with a chainsaw mill.
OK Dennis, when do you want to come over to Candor & show me how it works? ;D
Jim
Have a great day

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 11:17:37 pm »
I put the 5 bar on the big saw climb up on top of the log with a straight board as a reference and start down the length of the log. I finish both ends from the ground so that I am clear of the log when it falls in half. Then I put the 32 bar on and cut a 12 flat edge the length of each half or split it down the middle depending on the log. I got a big 52 fir that goes 30 before it gets small enough to fit on the mill. This would be a good log for a swing mill. Give me a few days to get to this project and I will post some pictures.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 07:01:05 am »
Jim I'll let you know next time I'm setting up to do it. If you can't make it I'll send you a picture. dennis
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   W-M LT40SHDD w/42HP Kubota, Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. LogRite fetching arch, capstan PortaWinch, W-M CBN sharpener/dual setter. Rens P4000 Metal detector.

Offline pnyberg

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 07:08:18 am »
Dennis (terrifictimbersllc), welcome to the Forestry Forum!

Dennis and I are part of the small fraternity of portable sawmills in Connecticut.  We're about an hour away from each other.

I would be interested in seeing a big log halved or quartered too.  If you're willing to have an audience, drop me a line the next time you have one of these jobs.

Thanks,
    Peter
No longer milling