TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Farmi Winch Direct

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Need help with ways to get wood out of woods  (Read 10199 times)

Offline 567paloggger

Re: Need help with ways to get wood out of woods
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 01:33:23 pm »
i would cut the tree up into firewood lengh and buy a pull wagon for 85 bucks from home depot and save up for a atv for next year i do alot of logging with a atv it helps out alot

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 08:45:53 pm »
That wagon might help, but he did mention an uphill run to where he's taking the wood. Pulling by hand will get old quickly, if there is much of a slope.
Small time fire-wooder in a neighborhood cooperative.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline icolquhoun

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 02:23:23 pm »
Hey new to the forum/logging, and all this stuff in general and in the same situation.
I have VERY hilly/rocky land and have set up my recently acquired LM2000 in the middle of it.
I need to get logs up and downhill.
A juniorarch, two 2 ton come alongs, chokerchain, a 2 wheel drive atv with a hitch with a chain grab, and a peavy is all I currently use (saving for a tractor).
I just moved a 28' long 18"DBH red oak roughly 550' over very rocky/rough terrain using nothing more than a nylon wrap around trees with choker chain hooked up to the come-alongs.  It took a full day, but was actually pretty easy considering the land it had to traverse!
next on my buy list is a few LONG reels of cable and some self releasing snatch blocks.  I plan on using the atv on flat ground and routing the cable how I want the log to run using nylon webbing off trees as well as self-releasing snatch blocks, and getting "bumpers" set up on all surrounding trees/rocks.  hook the cable to the atv as well as the chokerchain and drive the atv (could be a truck out on the side of the road in your case) to get the log out.
very little impact on the woods, the truck/car/atv stays where it should, you stay safe, etc etc

Offline Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 05:18:56 pm »
Welcome icolquhoun.
I use an arch and the portable gas winch.
The arch is loaded with back weight from the log so the tongue sticks up and then levels off when you winch it ahead.

Offline JohnG28

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 08:28:56 pm »
Welcome icolquhoun, and thanks for the input, that sounds like it could work very well for my situation actually...i do think that if rigged right i could get a run of line to the driveway on our property where i could pull with a truck...i will definately look at it in the coming months and try to come up with a map of how i could work it...and thanks very much to all for the help, i would still be scratching my head as to what to do, heck, i might even be able to get some saw logs out without any money(that i dont have anyway) up front...that would surely get me started on purchasing some more helpful equip for the future...also have a lawnmower engine that i was thinking might be able to build a homemade winch from when i get time, someday, buddy does some welding, need to do some designing in meantime...thanks again to all, ill be sure to let everyone know how things go
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Offline quietrangr

• Full Member x2
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 01:55:11 pm »
I often use a big pulley hung in a tree and a chain, but I have a forwarder to pull it. I would think hard about hiring a pole skidder. If you cut enough trees, it would be worth it.

Offline captain_crunch

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 11:21:25 pm »
Have you thought about a Lewis Winch for your power saw ?? They are not too expencive and beat a comealong bigtime. If I remember right they spool about 200 ft of small aircraft cable
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Offline Shetland Sheepdog

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 09:33:15 am »
Have you thought about a Lewis Winch for your power saw ?? They are not too expencive and beat a comealong bigtime. If I remember right they spool about 200 ft of small aircraft cable

A Lewis Winch would probably work good in this application! Myself, I would be looking for something about half way between a Lewis Winch & "Thirsty". :D
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

Offline indiaxman1

• Full Member x2
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 10:42:21 am »
Using a barge rope (or better a leaving line) has added length to many deep woods jobs...the thick rope expands and contracts...more forgiving than chain...buddy and I picked up two on Ohio R after spring floods went down....best log hauler you can use

Offline JohnG28

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 06:40:39 pm »
Thanks for the additional suggestions, i have thought of a saw winch, looked into a few, but not a lot, funding just isnt where id like it to be unfortunately...ultimately i think im going to have to rig a pully system, at least to get started, see how that works, as i wont be out as often as id like to be anyways, then in future will a better solution will be necessary, thanks to all again
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Offline captain_crunch

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 01:12:30 am »
Ok now I understand you and I have the same budget. >:( >:( How about hanging a block (Oregon word for pully) 10-15 ft in a tree near mill or road run line thru it and pull down road with atv with long peice of line. Higher the better as long as you can not pull over tree but with 4wheeler that is unlikely. Bad part is you can not really see what is hapening with log . But it will give you some lift and make log skidd easier
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Offline JohnG28

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 10:37:57 pm »
Captain, thanks, and im sorry you too have my budget issues, nothing to be done sometimes though...that would probably work well, and there are plenty of sound trees around to use, and I should be able to at least have a spotter back watching the woods, could work out well, I appreciate it

Offline timberfaller390

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 10:53:18 pm »
Four wheeler and log-rite arch
Appalachian Hardwoods Lumber and Logging Co.
Peavine Valley Farms
Three Notch Forge Farrier Service
Stihl MS390
John Deere 5103
58 IHC A-162 log truck

Offline nc/sc

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 02:06:17 pm »
Hi All,
I'm new here although I've been reading for a long time.
I have the same problem with trees falling in places I can't get to with any wheeled power equipment.
I've been eyeing the Harbor Freight Gas Powered Winch for awhile.
As we all know some of their stuff is ok and some is just junk, so-
Has anybody actually used one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95888

Thanks

Offline Quebecnewf

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 02:31:21 pm »
Don't by that one its way to slow and you don't want to be involved with cable. I bought one like this . Best money I ever spent.

Check out my gallery
http://www.portablewinch.com/en/

Quebecnewf

Offline TimRB

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 02:59:57 pm »
"I've been eyeing the Harbor Freight Gas Powered Winch for awhile."

I have not used the HF winch myself, so this is just some rambling FWIW...

Two things to consider about the HF winch -- One, it weighs over 50 pounds.  Granted, that's not an enormous weight, but remember you will likely have to be repositioning the thing all day long.  Two, it only carries 50 feet of cable.  This makes it all the more likely that you will need to reposition the winch.

With the Portable Winch that Quebecnewf and I are talking about, your cable (rope) length can be anything you want, and since the rope is separate from the winch its weight doesn't add to the winch weight.  Also, you can attach the winch to the rope at any point along the rope.  This is handy if you have something rigged up with snatch blocks but have discovered that you need to pull the log in a different direction for a short distance to get around an obstacle.  Just position the winch where it needs to be, make the short pull, and then put it back where it was so you can resume pulling with your original rig.

I will grant that the price difference is huge.  On the other hand, I can attest that the PW unit is very, very well built, while it's a foregone conclusion that HF cut every corner possible.

Tim

Offline nc/sc

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:21 pm »
I agree the capstan winch would be better, I just can't justify the cost as a "hobby logger" ;)
After many years of not doing it I want to start heating my home with wood again.  I have some land in the NC mountains that has blowdowns every year.   Some of these trees are huge, there is one oak there now that has been on the ground a year that I bet it has 20 pick-up truck loads of wood in it.  Problem is it is in a hard to get to spot, just need an inexpensive way to haul it out in sections, to where I can load it up to take home, some 130 miles away....
I have a 6x12 dump trailer I plan to carry the wood home in, wouldn't be worth going all the way there for just a pickup load at a time..would cost me almost as much for the round trip as I could buy a truck load of wood locally for.    :D

As for weight of the HF winch....well I have toted a car battery into the woods to run a 12v winch, the battery alone weighs as much as this whole winch.

Offline Quebecnewf

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 06:25:40 pm »
If you need to stay within a budget and most of us do why not use the truck to haul the logs. If you are planning to pull the logs to an area where you can saw them and then load them in the truck. Run ropes and snatch blocks and let the truck do the work. It may be slow but you do not have to buy another piece of equipment.

Quebecnewf

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 06:51:01 pm »
.............   Some of these trees are huge, there is one oak there now that has been on the ground a year that I bet it has 20 pick-up truck loads of wood in it.  Problem is it is in a hard to get to spot, just need an inexpensive way to haul it out in sections, ............

You can also buck the logs up into firewood lengths, and use each piece as a "wheel". Roll them out by rigging a handlebar (think old lawnmower handles) and screwing lag screws into the center of each end. Walk the pieces out. Works well, low investment, and amazingly quick. No dragging, no disturbance to the ground. Split them at the trailer and haul them away.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline wilson_tree

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 07:28:20 pm »
I have a capstan winch mounted to an old Stihl powerhead.  I have a 100 foot and a 200 foot rope for it and a skidding cone.  It is very portable, very effective for all the reasons TimRB states above, and it is easy for one person to use.  I wouldn't want to skid all day every day with it, but for bunching firewood logs and use in sensitive areas it is a very effective tool.  I have about $800 into the whole set up.