The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Logosol

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

Portable Sawmill and Planers Made by Logosol.

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Skid Steer vs Tractor  (Read 30052 times)

Offline spencerhenry

Re: Skid Steer vs Tractor
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 11:22:08 am »
to those who say a tractor is more versatile, obviously you dont know much about skid steers. every attachment that is available for a tractor is available for a skid steer and a whole lot more. tractors using pto to run attachments have the issue of shear bolts, and changing out a pto attachment is far more effort than a skid steer attachment.  people keep saying there are higher cost of maintenance with tracked machines, i own a tracked machine and cant for the life of me figure out where those costs would be.
 i used to own a gehl dl6h-42 a 42 foot reach forklift, i had a fork carriage that had 5 foot forks, that were 5'6" apart, excellent for moving lumber, fair for moving logs, with the bucket on it, a great sawdust/ snow removal tool. i owned it for my framing contracting business. a great machine, but even with 4 wheel steer, it takes a lot of space. i sold the forklift, and just before that, i bought a Mustang 2109 skidsteer with removable rubber track units. it weighs 13,200 with the tracks on it, it will pick up almost 6000 pounds, visibility is great, with 115 hp there arent many attachments i cant run. it is far more versatile than any tractor i have owned. the tracks offer excellent traction, the stability is also excellent. i only have a few attachments right now, but i use it more than any one machine i have ever had and just yesterday i asked myself why i didnt buy one sooner. i have forks, a 90" snow bucket, 7' snowblower, and a 10' snow plow. how many hobby farmer tractors can push a 10' snowplow? by the way i live at 8600' in the colorado mountains and get LOTS of snow, sometimes as much as 350" in a season.
 the only thing i dont like about a skidsteer is the lack of ground clearance. if operated right, the damage to the ground is also minimal, you just can pivot the machine all the time, but the maneuverability of a skidsteer is second to none if you need it.

Offline gunman63

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 03:50:04 pm »
I'd vote for a skid steer anytime, wouldnt  trade mine for a tractor or forklift, works great for about anything, needs hardly any room to turn around if need be, plows snow  faster than any pickup or tractor  in most  yards,  great visabilty  in front, just need to remember whats behind u, or turn around, ground is  froze 6 months of the year up here so no tearing it up, Should  have bought one years ago, not 5  years ago. and as far as up keep, not any more so than anyting else  take care of it , dont abuse it.

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2009, 04:24:34 pm »
Yeah they have all sorts of attachments for skidsteer machines, but they are expensive.  I've never seen any attachments on the used market they way you find farm tractor implements.  Never have seen or heard of a hay baler or a disk harrow for one, either.  A whole bunch of us have farm land as well as a sawmill, and already have the tractor.  I'll take the combo of a tractor and a forklift over the skidsteer, any day.  If you shop carefully, you can get both for less money, too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline cilley

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2009, 05:34:05 pm »
Hello everyone........what one needs, wants and can afford are always the things that determine what we end up with for a piece of equipment........in my case money was the one thing that determined what i bought..........i found a nice 62 ford 4000 with loader......it had only 1150 hrs on it and was well maintained........2 owners and the last one was a tractor mechanic........i had a set of forks made to fit the bucket.......i use this to load my log deck.......works great and can lift anything that i want put on the mill......i also can use it to haul my cord wood trailer..........and i will use it to plow the yard this winter..........for $4500 it works for me........alan

Offline stonebroke

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2009, 07:39:22 pm »
47 years old and only 1150 hours. Lets see that is 24.4 hours a year. About a half hour a week. Bet it sat in the shed a whole lot.

Stonebroke

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 09:07:12 pm »
cilley
I'll bet the Ford is handy to have around.

I got rid of my skidsteer. Too slow, couldn't pull/operate a brush mower or plow, or skid a log, or give me a smooth ride. A few things it would do just fine. Lettin me get quickly/easily on and off wasn't one of the plus's.  :)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Handy Andy

• I'm not new anymore
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2009, 10:23:07 pm »
  I saw a forklift today that would do a job around a mill.  Think the # was 586 Case.  Looked at the forks and how they are attached, and appeared to be a shame they didn't have a 3 point hitch attaching the forks to the machine so you could change the forks for a bucket.  That would be a versatile machine if built that way.  It appeared to actually be a tractor with the controls turned around and forks on the back, so the drive wheels carry the load.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Offline ErikC

• Senior Member x2
    • Erik Cordtz Enterprises
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 10:59:43 pm »
  The worst thing I used on the ground for loading the mill was a cat 933 track loader, with backhoe. That tore up the site pretty good ::) Skid steers seem a lot quicker than the backhoe, but the ones I used were a little on the light side. So the backhoe wins for me. I would have liked the skidsteer pretty well if they were a bigger model though.

ps I think I could put the biggest log that skidsteer will carry in the forks and then pick up the whole thing and carry it off with the backhoe, for big logs you need a big machine.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2009, 07:12:33 am »
Good stuff cheap,most of us cannot afford or justify the best and most efficient loader for the mill.Solid frame loaders like the old houghs or Michigans can be had reasonable.Yes I know their awkward and take an acre to turn.Take the bucket off and install forks and have a machine you won't overload.Every mill should have a log brow/deck to hold logs as its not good form to place logs on the mill with a machine.Had an old Michigan at my first mill even the largest logs were childs play and FWD, snow ment nothing.Don't be afrade of a big loader with a gas engine their even cheaper than diesel and are better for starts and stops.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2009, 09:09:26 am »
I am looking to buy a piece of equipment to load logs onto my bandmill. How much advatage does a skid steer have over a tractor? A skid steer was recommended due to the roll cage/safety aspect of the design. What do you guys think?

Back to the original question.  Another idea..

I went back to your old posts and noted you bought a Cooks MP-32 manual mill.  Instead of a tractor or skid steer,  maybe another option would be to upgrade to an hydraulic mill?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2009, 04:47:47 pm »
Are you only ever going to use it to load logs onto the mill? Or possible use it for other things?

I have both a skid steer, backhoe, and a few farm tractors. I can not possible imagine how the skid steer is as versatile as a tractor with a FEL. The tractor can load and move logs, as well as get them out of the woods. The tractor can also plow and disc fields, make hay, push or blow snow, mow, etc. And as mentioned 3pt attachments for a tractor are relatively cheap and abundant.

A big skid steer would be perfect for loading logs and other bucket related tasks, and then marginal/ no use at other tasks.

It just comes down to what you want out of a machine. IMO

Offline gunman63

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2009, 07:18:25 pm »
just a partical list of skidsteer attachments
forks   many different kinds
dirt buckets   many differnt kinds
snow plow
snow blower
tele booms
tree shears
post augers
backhoes
brush hogs
concrete hammers
grapples
rock buckets
root buckets
landscape rakes
landscape levelers
log spliters
bales spears
brooms
stump grinders
receiver plate
tree spades
wood chippers
wood processors
concrete buckets
post drivers
dozer blades
roller packers
roter tillers
and i know i missed some.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2009, 07:25:09 pm »
just a partical list of skidsteer attachments

brush hogs

Last i priced one it was like 4k for a good 60" brush hog for a skid steer, I paid like 1500 for a 72" for a tractor 3pt... Thats a huge price difference.

Offline nas

• Measure twice and cut aw DanG
    • Traditional forest products
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2009, 08:09:19 pm »
Back to the original question...
If I were looking for a machine specifically for loading logs on my mill, and I had an area to do it on that was hard packed all year, I would get the skid steer.  If there was mud to deal with, or I was going to use it for log skidding or wagon pulling, I would get the tractor.  As for the safety issue, both are safe if used within their limits. 

Gunman63
Yes there are a lot of attachments for skid steers, but they usually cost 2-3x what the equivalent 3ph attachment costs. 

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Offline gunman63

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2009, 09:21:06 pm »
yes  i will agree cost attachements are usually higher but need to compare apples to apples when comparing prices,  ive seen them for $1500 for a tractor mount,  but no where as heavy built as the skid steer. loook at post hole augers, no comparsion on tractor mount to  skidsteer,, cost isnt much difference on them, skidsteer style is self leveling, easy to move side to side front to back, way better than a tractor. but what it comes down to is what the one spending the money  thinks is better. I just have learned  that just cause its cheaper doesnt mean its better to buy

Offline nas

• Measure twice and cut aw DanG
    • Traditional forest products
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2009, 09:57:43 pm »
but what it comes down to is what the one spending the money  thinks is better. I just have learned  that just cause its cheaper doesnt mean its better to buy
I agree 100%, BUT... if I had to choose between a tractor or a skid steer for general use around my mill and woodlot it would definitely be a tractor.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Offline Fairchance

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2009, 10:49:49 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys!

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2009, 12:56:31 am »
Gunman, I wonder what that list would cost?  $$$$$

Never met a forklift I didn't like. Have a small tractor and FEL, and,.....uhmmmm several forklifts. I do ALOT of material handling and on/off, forklifts are the way to go for me. I have many in the 20-40 year old range. All resonably priced and generally dependable. If I had ton of construction style work to do perhaps a SS, but I just rent them when needed or better yet find a HUNGRY construction guy with equipment and hire him!!!

Here are a few of the lifts, I generally keep them well maintained and painted up. I have two others not shown. All differing sizes and capacities. 3000-4500-6000-8000-14,000. If one breaks I always have a backup  :D I will likely sell a couple when the market improves, as I upgraded a bit during he last downturn ::)

It seems to be tha case that you can always find inexpensive GOOD lifts around if you keep your ear to the ground. I perfer Cats/Towmotor, Yale, Clark and newer imports (more $$$), but all good. I tend to like shuttle shift and pneumatics w/ common engines (Continentals, Chrysler 6's, w/ propane). Avoid older lifts w/ carbs as the Ethanol has begun to haunt them, or convert yourself to propane. One of mine is a diesel which I tend NOt to like as it is cold blooded. 

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2009, 02:19:02 am »
This thread almost sounds like an elementary school "my daddy is stronger than your daddy" Each person has their own preferences. Most people as stated had a life before sawmilling and Most people own acreage whether it be woodlot and/or pasture/cropland. They most likely owned a tractor before hand and used it in a bunch of ways. Technically skidsteers were developed for the industrial/construction field. Just recently have they been adapted for forestry type uses. Nobody in their right mind would buy a tractor and put a mulching head on it, though I have seen them at Moultrie. The tractor is not built for that.

The man's original question was to get a comparison about abilities of skidsteers and tractors. I'm sure out all these responses he can get a few valid ideas. I'm sure his decision will ultimately come down to: how much money can I afford to spend, What will give me the most overall use in my personal application, What will be easier to service and maintain, how much room do I have and what materials will I be handling and how, etc.?

As for my personal use I have a tractor with a FEL. I have acreage to mow, plow, and plant, Logs to skid, trailers to pull, area big enough to maneuver in and the list goes on. I crank my tractor everyday for something. Yea, I drool when I see the new tracked skidsteers but I ain't gonna spend what they cost and let it stay parked for days at a time because I ain't sawing. Instead I might buy a pool, camper, atv's or something else my whole family can enjoy when free time shows up.

It's like buying cars and trucks, everybody has their favorite, but they all go down the road. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2009, 02:32:26 am »
Ive never owned a forklift but it seems to me that while theyd have no problem with bundled lumber or stuff on a skid,  theyd be handicapped when trying to handle logs because of the limited reach and fork tilt. 

For example,  how would you reach into a pile of logs and tilt the forks down at an angle to dig out a log?  Also, once you pick a log up,  would you have enough tilt back to roll it back against the back of the forks?  Or tilt them down enough to roll the log off?  How do they work for unloading a log truck? (Unless you have one big enough and with a clamp to take the whole bunk of logs.)

Im guessing youd have to pretty much keep your logs on a single layer or take the one on the bottom, front edge of the pile. 

The forks on our Terex will tilt up about 15 and under more than 90.  Sometimes the 15 is not enough tilt back to always roll a log back against the back of the forks.   Ive had times when Ive not paid enough attention and only rolled back the forks a little and then went down a slight slope and have the log roll off.

How are they on uneven terrain?  Our Terexes have limited give in their suspension and will high center on a bump or dip that puts say 6 of travel on the suspension.  Looks like you center machine with enclosed cab has about the same axle setup.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94