Please visit this sponsor

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: side loader log trucks  (Read 11525 times)

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
Re: side loader log trucks
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 08:26:33 pm »
the reason they are not used too much anymore is so many have quit using horse stock with a mule you can put the log right on the forks and not have to do much cant hook  work yes if you put a couple of smaller logs on first it is easier on the truck about 400 to 500 feet was the limit on the size log you could load ronnie tucker tn logger

Ronnie is right on....I know a fellow that has sold his horse, and offered me his side loader on a truck that runs for $800.00....I just don't need nothing else to keep insurance on...Tim
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline ronnie tucker

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 11:48:24 pm »
banjo picker can you contact me i might want to learn more ronnie tucker

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 02:26:47 am »
I been out of town ronnie....i sent you a pm.....Tim
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline lancek

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 09:37:47 am »
Another inexpensive way of loading logs on a small truck is to buy two small winchs at harbor fright or any other store that might offer these type of products and mount them on your truck bed by your bunk up rights, Make your up rights so you can fold them down to the ground on eather side and then place your log next to truck and a cable on each end going under the log and back up to your upright! As you winch in the cable the log rolls on to the truck and up aginst the up rights after you lay the frist layer of logs you move your uprights to the top and do it all over agian till your loded! It only would cost about 500.00 n materials and you could use any flat bed truck!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 10:13:36 pm »
Sorta like this except on a larger scale.  I am using a 8.5K MileMarker winch,

Don't laugh at these "empty" logs.  The customer wanted them to disappear, and I got paid.... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini/Kohler

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline lancek

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 08:53:28 pm »
Yea thats the ticket works like a charm! And a whole lot less dangerus than fliping logs. But the best thing about it is that you can even load a small conventual truck this way with a little modification! But the crane method is also something to coonsider it will let you load alot more things than just logs. I am putting one on mine thatr folds down so that you can get full clearance when your empty and not useing it Laancek

Offline ronnie tucker

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 10:39:56 pm »
with reasonable care those loaders are not dangerous .overloading the truck for traveling on the road can be a problem but again you have to use good judgement  ronnie tucker tn logger

Offline Tombstone

• Full Member x2
  • How long??....'Til it's done!
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 05:03:41 pm »
Great Pics and a good idea! Ronnie, I think them trucks would be fine as well, I never owned one but it just seems that if you use good sense you'd be alright. We will see what the future holds. If I find one of them trucks maybe Ill get it or maybe I will do the winch thing, either way I am in the wood and ain't leavin! :D
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Offline Brad_S.

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 07:09:20 pm »
Having some free time this past weekend while in Maine, I visited a very interesting museum called The Cole Land Transportation Museum. http://www.colemuseum.org/
They have a log truck there with a "Timber Tosser" brand side loader. Interesting device!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Offline Tombstone

• Full Member x2
  • How long??....'Til it's done!
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 09:14:36 pm »
Have to check that place out some time
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Offline twobears

• I'm new!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 05:09:06 pm »

i,ve thought about this type of log loader alot why couldn,t you have a cradle to hold the log until you had it lifted then,have that cradle rigged to slide down the lifting arms??
 i,de make it all hyrdrulic so it could be controled better.
 you would lower the arms to the ground,roll the log on it and clamp it,raise the log/arms until the log was over the truck.lower the log/cradle down into the truck and release the log.you might have to roll the log around with a cant hook to place it on the truck.
 i,de have a couple arms on it to keep the truck from rocking as you load it...like a real log loader.they would both be on the loader side of the truck.

delbert

IF ANYBODY runs with this idea and get's rich off it..don,t forget me or this forum...atleast cut me a few buck's for each one sold..lol

Offline jimparamedic

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 07:11:53 pm »
Also you could think about a coffen stile hoist the trucks or trailers that have an I beam running down the center of the bed held up 6-8 ft in the air by a framework and a whench or chain fall runs on a trolly. The I beam sticks out past the bed about 3 ft so you can pick up whats on the ground.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 09:04:42 pm »
Jim
At first I thought you were talking about a tilt deck type of rig but then I read it again...which got me thinking if a loader with two L shaped arms (1 on each side of the box) that when in the rest position are hinged about 2/3 back of the box running forward along the box then turn up 90 and follow the head board. When tilted (with a hyd cylinder under each arm) to load a log the arms would now be a almost upside down L , hook log with choker or tongs and return loader to rest position to load log on deck. ?? It might work.

Offline ronnie tucker

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 09:39:23 pm »
this method of loading works good and is quick. you all are trying to reinvent the wheel . come south and see one work. ronnie tucker tn logger