The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Southern Yellow Pine ?  (Read 12606 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Board Moderator
  • Large Tooth
Re: Southern Yellow Pine ?
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 07:03:56 am »
Well if you could get land owners all to participate and hold foreign imports to the standards of the domestic business then it might be a step toward a solution. Heck I've seen it here many times. A mill will cry for wood. There are a number of crown leases that have volumes of wood that can not be processed by the mill with that lease. For instance a softwood stud mill isn't going to be producing paper and vise versa. Although, some companies are fully integrated and they have sub-licensees as well. But, when one mill is crying for wood, the other licenses should be supplying some volume, not exporting it. My point is, while this is going on proivate wood is going state wide, because of price and no playing around with turning on and off the deliveries. Heck we have contracts with these mills, honor the darn contracts or the land owner is going to say to hell with it. It all boils down to this, as soon as they make a deal with another lease holder for volume, they shut the tap off from private deliveries. Then when their supply runs short, they expect all the private volume to come through the gate at year end to fulfill the contract. Then blame the private sector for not supplying wood at their whim. Just makes you want to grab someone by the throat sometimes.  :-X >:(

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 08:03:02 am »
For the small landowner, timing is critical.  The big Industrial guys cut all the time, regardless of the market, while the small private guy has to be more discerning in when to harvest.  I recently sold a first thinning (planted loblolly pine) that will be harvested this year, but it is a silviculturally driven sale.  I have some stands that are in their early 20's that need second thinning, but I am delaying that harvest because the prices are so low.  The growth on those stands has slowed (needs thinning), but the growth is on trees of sawlog size, so it will not take much of a price improvement at all to get me back even or ahead.

On the first thinning, those stands (ages 12 and 13) are growing lower value pulpwood, so the sooner that I can thin and get the new growth in the form of chip-n-saw (small sawlogs), the better I will be from a financial standpoint.  As a trees moves from pulpwood size to small sawlog size, the price/value for that tree doubles.

Anyway, you have to be smart when you sell. 

There will a Thinning WDH thread in the near future.  Tom has gone ahead and started something.........you have to keep up with the Toms :D.

Also, don't worry, these are true Southern Yellow Pines ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Pitcaver101

• I'm new!
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2017, 10:48:15 am »
Does short leaf pine from central Indiana have any marketable value. I can not find a buyer here locally and am looking for log buyers in surrounding states that might have an interest,it is about 60,000 bdft
Thank you
Against the grain

Offline bucknwfl

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2017, 12:10:42 pm »
Yeah, spruce pine is strange all right. To clarify just a bit, the logs I sawed all came from one customer.  They obviously weren't open grown trees as the logs were long, straight and clear, but the ring spacing was wide like an open grown loblolly.  They were loaded with free water.  The boards were heavy, but dried real fast.  They had been down for a while, as the bark was beginning to slip.  I asked him if they'd been laying in water but he said they had been stacked high and dry.  I did note that the lumber lay really flat with very little movement during sawing or drying.  It was pleasant sawing, except that those 20 ft 1x10s
were pretty heavy for an old fart like me.
[/quo

I just cut some spruce for paneling in one of my bathrooms.  It is quite different for sure. Typically i dont care for the big growth rings but spruce pine is quite beautiful     As far as sand pine goes, it may be the least quality of all the pines in our area. If you can find some old stuff that is of decent size it can make some nice knotty pine panels but younhave to cut twice as much as you need.  It barely makes good pulp.  Lol

Thanks
Buck

If it was easy everybody would be doing it