The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: planer knives  (Read 5004 times)

Offline SlowJoeCrow

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: planer knives
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 09:06:05 am »
I've got the Delta 15", DC380 I think, and a little 12" Delta lunchbox. I bought their 15" because the top moves rather than the bottom. I knew I would want to run some timbers and wanted to set up roller tables front and rear so adjusting the top worked well for me. I do have a set of cheap knives as well as several sets of good steel. There is definitely a difference in longevity when I have to throw the cheap ones on.

I will offer a pet peeve of mine, metric jackscrews. I'm used to the height adjustment being based on a jackscrew with SAE threads... American. If the screw has an 8 tpi pitch I know a turn equals 1/8". If its metric I got nothing... a turn is about 1/8" on mine, that isn't quite the same.

I have the same planer, the Delta DC380.  It's biggest benefit is that the head moves up and down, the table is stationary.  The downside to that is that knife changes are a bit harder because the motor is mounted on top in the way.  Also, you don't have rollers on top to pass boards back to the front easily.  It has been a good planer for me though.  I agree, the jack post threads are too coarse, I usually turn a quarter turn on the crank, half a turn if I want to hog a lot of wood off.  I wouldn't want a smaller planer, that's for sure.  I would like to put a spiral head in it someday.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 10:21:16 am »
With sharp steel the DC380 will go a turn and a quarter max but not with its mouth full. Next time you're under the hood check the rear feed chain behind the black right side cover. If it is slack enough to jump a tooth holler and I'll take a picture of my fix. I didn't realize until too late on mine, it stripped that sprocket.

Offline SlowJoeCrow

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 10:39:14 am »
Thanks for the tip.  I bought this one used and the rubber outfeed roller is chewed up/worn out in the center from always feeding wood in the center I guess.  I need to get a new roller sometime.