The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: micro hydro  (Read 7571 times)

Offline Stroover

• If you're too busy to fish, you're too busy.
Re: micro hydro
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:01 am »
I know this is an old thread, but you should make sure you are even allowed to dam a brook in your area. Where I live, that would be illegal to do.
When my time is up, I want to hit the ground like a spent shell!

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 07:41:52 pm »
The OP has not been on since March of 2010. Maybe he did build a dam and he's in jail.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline AfraidChocker

• AfraidChocker: Get it, "A Frayed Chocker"
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 04:33:59 pm »
There is a old working sawmill from the 1700's near Old Town that the University of Maine cooperates with, and they have an old up and down sawmill with a waterwheel. It was a undershot wheel if I remember right and I will be darned if that thing did not have some torque. While sawing a pretty good sized log...14 inches or so in diameter, the dogs holding it to the carriage busted loose and that little wheel pounded that log up and down and sent everyone scattering. That timber framed building felt as if it was going to shatter. Such is the power of water pushing something from only a few feet high!

These guys built quite the elaborate micro hydro project, way more then I ever would, but every part of it was discussed in detail. I have a great spot to do something similar, but permitting may be an issue. Just do a search on YouTube for Colorado Micro Hydro...

Myself I don't think it is right. As a large landowner I am paying a lot of money for property taxes and as long as the stream is not a fish passage stream, nor am I stopping the constant flow of water, what does it matter? I am not robbing my neighbors of water down stream, I am just extracting power from flowing water as it passes over my property.
As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

Offline DDW_OR

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 08:17:52 pm »
TimberKing 2000 & Talon Sharpener, Mahindra 5520 4x4, Max22 4x4, Bobcat Excavator 331, E80, Multitek 1610EZ
"let the machines do the work"

Offline AfraidChocker

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 07:15:00 am »
I know of a farmer that put in a huge Digester to power the grid. He could only get 250 KW's out of it with his 1200 cow dairy farm, so he took in spoiled food. That increased his total output to 1000 KW's, BUT the State of Maine now regarded him a a municipal dump. Now this is where it gets stupid.

Between his cow barn and his digester was a semi-annual stream, and the permitting process was harder to bury a plastic line under that stream then it was in permitting the municipal dump. Now even that was stupid because there was no dumping per se, they digest it and draw off the methane and burn it for power. Then they separate out the NPK from the waste to spread on their fields, then compress the dehydrated compost to use as bedding for the cows.

Now granted it was NOT a micro-power situation, BUT I just thought it was ironic, even though fish did not get within 100 miles of the stream, they had to get permits for it anyway.

Hey I am not going to dump 5 gallons of oil into any stream on purpose, BUT I don't worship the earth either. We can enjoy its resources and not feel guilty about it.
As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 01:09:26 am »
I have a very good sight for an undershot wheel, looks good to me anyhow. 4 foot drop. 100 ft  about a mile of pond. Solid rock bottom. Wouldn't take much to add another foot to the pond. Should I ask for a permit or ask forgiveness. I think the forgiveness is for me. That is if I can ever afford to put it in to start with.
Bill

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 06:26:23 pm »
If you ask for a permit they might say no.
If you just do it nothing will happen unless someone complains.
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline AfraidChocker

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:56 pm »
Maybe hedge your bet a little, buy some lengths of silt fence, add some rock check dams if need be, but basically do all you can to keep silt out of the stream, that way if they do show up at least it looked like you put some thought and care into what you were doing.

Here we call that putting "lipstick on a pig", but bureaucrats love that sort of stuff.

I am joking a bit here, but do you know what I mean? A length or two of silt fence is cheaper than a fine and if it could keep you from having to pay one, it might be worth doing? Just an idea.