The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: The weather  (Read 1080743 times)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
Re: The weather
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 12:24:28 pm »
Seems like I can remember my Father saying something about that.Seems like he said they had a frost every month.
Raining steady here now.Started around 10 AM and suppose to last all day.I might even be able to get a burn permit in Aug.That will seem odd.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 12:39:11 pm »

Was raining here this morning also ... wind has picked up and now the sun is out  8) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
  • It's an anagram for "dendrology" and in no way a reflection of my personality
    • My Blog: A Riving Home
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 01:57:33 pm »
It was over 90o here by 11 AM this morning. smiley_crying  I moved to the mountains to get away from the heat!  Hasn't rained a drop in 9 days.  So far this is the driest year on record, even drier than last year, which was the driest year on record.  Send some of your rain our way!!!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 03:26:54 pm »
Dodgy
We don't wanna shouldn't tell ya how nice it is in da north then....

Managed to creep up to 78° here today. Supposed to get up to 81° tomorrow.
But I'm ready for it to cool off next month and then snow.  :)

Don't envy you with the heat, nor anyone for that matter.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
  • It's an anagram for "dendrology" and in no way a reflection of my personality
    • My Blog: A Riving Home
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 05:02:13 pm »
Drove up to the top of Black Rock Mountain after lunch, which is just about 5 miles from where I live.  Highest State Park in Georgia at 3,600 feet.  It was 80o and breezy.  Apparently I just need to move farther up the mountain ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 05:39:42 pm »
Isn't it great to have a job where you can say, "I'm hot, I think I'll go to the woods".  :D
extinct

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 08:21:27 pm »
...I'm ready for it to  .... snow. 

Go wash your mouth out with soap young man!  candle_smiley fire_smiley smiley_sick
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Offline Handy Andy

• I'm not new anymore
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 05:02:05 am »
  We had some nice showers here in the Kansas desert yesterday.  Nearly 2 inches.  Those beans and alfalfa will be celebrating for a couple weeks. I'm celebrating for the next week. Usually it doesn't rain here till the first of September.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 03:53:47 pm »
Looks like the weather has finally settled down.I forgot to mention I even turned the furnace on one morning,in August.That's a first for me.My FIL had his on almost every morning.If it's not 80 he's cold. I'm waiting out a shower now.Will be all over in a few minutes.Not like the way it's been for the last 2-3 weeks.I felt bad for the people who plan a year ahead for a vacation here.Been raining here almost steady for 3 weeks it seems.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 04:48:39 pm »
Well it's not what you call southern heat here for sure. Not many days in the 80's, I think less than 1 dozen. Mostly mid 70's for highs, but very humid. So it feels hot. We don't seem to get any dry cool NW winds this summer.  ::) Rains or showers almost daily, nothing dries. Rivers and brooks are high, up into the bushes along the banks. Had flooding up along the St Francis River, that borders with Maine in the far north end.

I wonder what the salmon fishing would be like this summer on the Upsulquitch R. with all this water? You need lots of clear water up there to get good fishing and canoeing over the gravel bars.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Kansas

• In Memoriam
  • In the mountains of Kansas
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 06:05:03 pm »
I dont think I have ever seen a year that had more timely rains for the crops than this one. Except for about 3 days, the summer has been milder by far than normal. Friend of mine put in a center pivot irrigation system two years ago on a field. He still hasnt run it yet, outside of getting it out of the way for planting. He said his corn silage made just over 30 ton per acre.

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 01:22:31 am »
We've had a good summer for rain here, too. :)  We've not had many weeks without a good soaker, and the weeds are happy.  Those pore folks up there in Georgia(USA) are still pretty much parched though.  There is a little ol' Tropical Storm named Faye that might give them some relief and fill up their drinkin' puddle.  It might get a little breezy around here if she does what they think she will, but it will be worth it to see them get some rain!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline mike_van

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 05:30:05 am »
Other than too much rain [every 2 days] This has been the coolest August I can remember!   8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 08:14:01 am »
I thought it had settled down.Shower,so called,took about 4 hours to end.About 45 minutes from me a couple roads got washed out and had to be closed down.These was state roads too,not some small town back road. Hail as big as 1½ in some towns.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 10:26:36 am »
Bring it on Faye, bring it on :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 11:08:38 am »
We had our only 90 degree temp the 1st week of June then it cooled off and was damp for a month.  Not good haying weather instead of three weeks like last year we were six weeks getting it done.  July dried out and it stayed cool.  Temps were seldom into the mid 80s with some days only in the mid 60s and many nights temps got into the low 50s and in some instances the mid 40s.  August has seen a little rain but we're still dry.  Lawns are brown and the the pumpkins need a drink.  They're pretty stressed and with the heavy August dews powdery mildew is showing up now.  We've also got a real issue with bacterial wilt from the striped cucumber beetles.  Not gonna be a banner year for Zach's pumpkins but we've learned from our 1st experience with this pest.  It's supposed to get into the mid 80s today and range back and fourth into the the mid 70s all week with slight chances of rain.  It's been the coolest summer we've had in several years but turned real dry after a wet start.  Fall is only a couple weeks away  :-\  Note sure where the summer went  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Woodcarver

• "A country boy can survive"
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 11:42:09 am »
We average about a half-dozen days of temperatures in the 90's.  Haven't had one this year.

We were wet early in the summer, but we're behind on moisture now.  We've been watering our vegetable garden and flower beds.  We'll have to water our fruit trees if we don't get significant rain this week.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Offline Maineloggerkid

• Earth first...Log the other planets later!
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2008, 05:14:15 pm »
I can back up what thecfarm is saying. here in Maine, its been one long mud season since the snow melted. I can't wait for things to freeze up, so I can get on some lower ground. I have a bunch of places I want to be, but its far to wet to take the skidder into.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Offline IMERC

• Senior Member x2
  • I have fishin'itis.... Really bad...
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 03:51:35 am »
winter returned Thursday night to the mountains......
it's kinda sorta grudgingly letting go now....

that gave us about three weeks of not winter....

sure was a short what ever it was...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Offline submarinesailor

• Senior Member x2
  • LT15 and a wife of 41 yrs
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 05:59:56 am »
I just read this morning that August, so far, has been about 24 cooling degree day less than last year.  That's an average acorss the country.

Bruce