The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Alternative energy - Windmills  (Read 31084 times)

Offline tmarch

• I'm older, maybe not wiser tho
Re: Alternative energy - Windmills
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2015, 06:12:00 pm »
When I was growing up we had a wind charger, then it wore out so went to a gas motor that ran the alternator, same basic system, 32 volts with large batteries in glass jars.  Now I've replaced my last windmill with solar and I like it a lot better.  Virtually no maintenance and more production for the money spent. 8) 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Online Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2016, 08:11:43 pm »
I still have a few wind chargers.  I would pay money to be aloud to climb up one of the big wind mills.
We have a lot of them in the northeast part of Pa.

Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2016, 03:58:36 am »
There is another string of them around Island Falls, Maine. We take a ride sometimes up on a ridge that used to be a lot more cleared farmland. And we can look across and see them and look in the direction of Mars Hill, Maine and see them also from the same spot.  We're being invaded. ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2016, 06:12:02 am »
Never seen pieces like that being trucked. There is a drop off spot in Jay,ME,just about 20 minutes from me. I have seen the blades there and the round towers,but that is it. On the way to work I can see them in Roxbury on a ridge.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Brad_S.

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2016, 08:21:46 pm »
SD, there is a huge one planned on Irving land off Route11 near Merrill in Aroostook. That is if the company (now SunEdison) doesn't go under. Swirling around the toilet bowl at the moment!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Offline enigmaT120

« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2016, 01:31:03 pm »
We have a bunch of the big ones near the Columbia River, just east of the gorge.  I think they're some of the most beautiful things humans have made.  Oddly they remind me a little of nuclear reactor cooling towers.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Online Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2016, 05:42:23 pm »
SD, there is a huge one planned on Irving land off Route11 near Merrill in Aroostook. That is if the company (now SunEdison) doesn't go under. Swirling around the toilet bowl at the moment!

I only live a few miles from rt 11.  I looked it up it  extends 1,645 miles.
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline AfraidChocker

• AfraidChocker: Get it, "A Frayed Chocker"
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2016, 07:00:40 pm »
They were going to put 28 across the ridge where I live, but the naysayers in town got together and voted it down. I lost out on 3 Jennies at $1100/month. Let me think about that, $3300 per month and taking 1 acre out per windmill...now where do I sign?

Worse yet was the town of Jackson. They had TOWN LAND on top of a mountain where the windmill company was going to pay the town $500,000 per year for all the windmills they could put up there. Their 650 residents only had a total property tax amount of $650,000 a year and yet they turned it down. Their tax bill per landowner would have been NOTHING. The reason, they wanted the windmills to be 1 mile from the nearest house and not a 1/2 mile!

Yeah I am still mad about this.
As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

Offline Slingshot

« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2016, 10:07:35 pm »

I can understand the people not wanting to hear the roar of those turbines
 24 hours a day. Those things sound like jet engines.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2016, 03:57:02 am »

As far as I can tell these are the windmills just installed in the last year that we now see. They are running now.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2016, 03:59:28 am »

I can understand the people not wanting to hear the roar of those turbines
 24 hours a day. Those things sound like jet engines.

I've heard jet engines and I wouldn't equate them to that. ::) But you do hear those big fins moving through the air when you're near. Just like any sound of a windmill in Holland.  ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2016, 04:33:53 am »
There's a huge windfarm in the Van Wert Ohio area which is about 30 miles from me .Wind turbines for miles clear into Indiana .Flat land about like to top of a table .The wind picks up speed coming out of Indiana or so it seems .

Odd though with all that hoopla it seems only a small portion of them are running on any praticular day from what I've seen . It's also very odd all the sudden just like magic they found huge deposits of natural gas near Cleveland Ohio right near where Rockerfeller drilled for oil over 100 years ago .Like it wasn't there all along ?

Another oddity ,ethanol .They built ethanol plants everywhere only to close a majority of them down in less that two years .Took corn used for cattle feed and good whiskey and turned in into high tech moonshine now they don't want it ?--Makes you wonder what in the world is going on .

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2016, 06:17:47 am »
Odd though with all that hoopla it seems only a small portion of them are running on any praticular day from what I've seen . It's also very odd all the sudden just like magic they found huge deposits of natural gas near Cleveland Ohio right near where Rockerfeller drilled for oil over 100 years ago .Like it wasn't there all along ?

100 years ago they didn't want gas. No oil? Just this useless gas, plug the well....

Now you drill a good gas well, pipe it to an efficient combined cycle power station, and it's worth the investment.

Here in NZ wind generators work in the right spots. Of course there is the NIMBY thing. Everyone wants clean power, but no one wants a windmill or new hydro dam near their house.

They have the problem that they are intermittent generation, you can't rely on them for reliable base load. Luckily we have a lot of Hydro, and so they do work well together. No wind, you can draw down the hydro lakes. Wind picks up and you reduce the hydro flow and refill the lakes. You can get a week or so of higher than average generation from a Hydro, as long as you have a break to let it refill. If you are relying on thermal generators, then you have to have the full capacity on standby in case the wind dies down. That messes up the economics.

Those things sound like jet engines.

Not in my experience. Standing under one, there is a bit of a "whir" as the blades rotate past. 1/4 of a mile away? Nothing.
They are more like the wing of a big glider, same sort of aerodynamics and noise going on. OK, maybe it's a glider the size of a 737, so it's not quite silent. But it's a 737 with the engines off  :D  :o
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2016, 06:20:54 pm »
Timely subject because just this morning in the editorial portion of the local newspaper was an article written by a resident of that area I mentioned .

She pointed out the fact most land owners have never been paid for the leases and 39 sites have mechanics liens against the company for over 1 million dollars per site .If they go belly up the removal of the mills is the problem of the land owners .I kind of think there's some shady dealings there or PT Barnum is still alive . If it sounds too good to be true most of the time it isn't .

Odd part is there is a bill that states by 2020  or 2025 20% all electrical power within the state of Ohio is supposed to be from renewable sources.They aren't doing so well with that .

Offline Brad_S.

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2016, 06:54:45 pm »

As far as I can tell these are the windmills just installed in the last year that we now see. They are running now.

No, that is the Oakfield Windfarm. The proposed one is west of there at the end of Rte. 212.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2016, 03:59:30 am »
Ok, that makes sense, because there is no route 11 through Merrill, unless your going north through Patten and up to Ashland. They do merge up there at Knowles Corner, way above Patten. We drive up through that area some and go to the Patten Lumberman's Museum in August for bean hole beans and biscuits off the reflector ovens. ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline spyder68

• I'm new!
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2016, 10:10:38 am »
Funny thing the Kennedy family is really green, but wait they didn't want the windmills where they lived. :snowball:

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2016, 04:49:39 am »
In the never ending debate on wind power a new problem has been aired .It seems the companies who did the mega wind farm near VanWert Ohio have caused other problems .

First let me say this area of Ohio was  part of the great black swamp at one time .Some of the richest farm land in the USA if not the entire world .As such it required enough drainage tile to about reach the moon .

In installing the underground cables to connect the wind generators to the grid they cut a majority of the drainage tiles .Now the farmers are stuck with repairing them so they can get the surface water off to plant crops .It will probably get to be a great debacle before it's over .

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2016, 06:01:31 am »
I can't imagine the regulators including the USDA even allowing farm land to be crossed with cabling and digging up drain tile. Someone was asleep at the switch. Drain tile on farmland around here since at least the 1980's has to be marked with post and sign.

I gotta laugh, had an outsider proceed to tell me those signs and posts mark telephone cable. For one there never was a telephone line in the area we were talking about, there was power though, no phone. It was the 40's. Second, the guy can't read I guess or figure out pictorials of drain pipe and water. Plus I've lived here for awhile on farms that made a living, not hobby farms. Seen lots of tile go in.  Any decent farm ground here is under the FLIP program. ;)

Dirty Harry