The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment  (Read 880828 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
Re: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment
« Reply #840 on: January 17, 2005, 04:18:10 pm »
Frickman,

I think that is great that you own your equipment and have no lease payments to worry about. I'm sure there are plenty of other worries, like with any business. You can certainly see that not everyone has the luxury of a large bank roll to purchase their harvest equipment. Alot of the guys working on private buy big equipment to work on public forest land as their main source of employment. On public forest land you have supervisors who stand over ya and harp on production, but also want what's best for the land. Sometimes hard to find that balance.  Some guys end up, part time, hiring out to contractors on private so they tend to bring some old habits along. But, also it comes back to the high cost of equipment which they can't afford to have sit idle. As another senario to the side hills, add some boulder fields and rock outcroppings to the harvest area and I think even you would be left thinking, 'what am I doing here'. Dang glaciers eh?

cheers ;)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #841 on: January 17, 2005, 05:56:42 pm »
The Forwarder Leaves the Landing After Delivering and Decking a Load of Sawlogs. Only a small landing is needed for the variable length (short wood) logging method. The product lengths are cut at the stump as stated above.
Sportsman's Port, LLC selective timber harvest; 12/04.

~Ron

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #842 on: January 18, 2005, 04:13:29 am »
This method works especially well if you don't have to turn a tractor trailor on the yard, but it means more road building is involved if you need a road to loop around. Works fine with straight trucks. I know one guy in our area who uses a skidder converted as a forwarder and a tracked Dion forwarder he uses to cut to length at the stump and forward to a small landing. His problem is that his equipment is old and spends alot of time fixing it. It's not a high production operation, but he's always busy.

Converted C4 Forwarder

C-4 Tree Farmer skidder and mounted  Patu log loader on the rear frame with hitched Patu tandem log trailer. Makes for an efficient, low-cost forwarder that is well suited for sites that are not too steep.

Dion Forwarder

F-4 Dion tracked short wood forwarder loading 100 inch pulpwood ona  straight truck. It has a low centre of gravity and can work on steeper slopes than most forwarders.

The machine comes with a fully enclosed cab for winter operation, with windows for good visibility. The forwarder uses a hydraulically-powered stick steering system. The hydraulics also control the stabilizers that make contact with the ground to keep the forwarder steady while the operator loads logs, as well as the boom. Everything else is mechanically driven through the transmission and differentials.

The forwarder has facing seats, so that after being driven in one direction, the operator can simply change seats and drive it back in the opposite direction. Although it has a five-speed transmission, He operates the forwarder primarily in third gear, slowing down in particularly muddy or rocky areas to avoid both ground and track damage.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #843 on: January 19, 2005, 04:56:18 pm »
A Happy Landowner. The landowner watches as a load of grade hardwood sawlogs leaves the landing enroute to the mill that purchased her timber. Sportsman's Port, LLC timber harvest; 12/04.

~Ron

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
« Reply #844 on: January 21, 2005, 11:26:30 pm »

This is where I worked in 2001 , hauling off road to the Tembec mill yard in Tee lake Témiscamingue Québec....A load of spruce for pulp mill The saw logs will be cut out at the mill yard with a slasher

275 B Barko loading us at Two Rivers , Témiscamingue Québec... White pine , again will be cut to logs at the yard

Heading down to the yard with a load of pine ... It was all off road hauling , two meter radio system ... about 140 kilometers of off road driving to get to the yard in Tee Lake ...

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #845 on: January 22, 2005, 03:50:20 am »
isawlogs,

Lotsa snow eh? :) I see they plow the roads like here, when you meet another truck one of ya have to turn out in the snow bank. They have wide roads, but plow narrow. I never invested in a radio so I stay off them roads in winter. I see those are some nice white pine logs. Looks like your picking them from hardwood or mixed stands. Sure is a long trek to the mill.  :o

Dirty Harry

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #846 on: January 22, 2005, 07:22:16 am »
Swomp..   I got myself a scanner ....

When you met a truck if it was loaded .. you took the snowbank , it was kinda hard to stop these once they got rolling ... priority was to the loaded truck at all times ... Next on the priority list was the empty truck coming back up then the sanders .... anything else on the road was low in the priority list  ;D ;)

The grader that was used to open the roads ... he is on a mission , going to try and pull and push a truck up a hill ...

644G John Deer loader with log clamp , he's getting the dozer blade and turning around to come and push the truck up the hill

All together ... Sander spreading sand , grader pulling and loader pushing , made it up on second try ....
We had lots of fun .... Had to put the chains on the truck ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline Buzz-sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • To see it is to saw it....
« Reply #847 on: January 22, 2005, 07:27:36 am »
Nice pics, sounds like a day of fun and games!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Offline Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #848 on: January 22, 2005, 12:12:42 pm »
Isaw are they not using chains on those truck tires?

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #849 on: January 22, 2005, 12:34:55 pm »
  We never put the chaines on ... only if we did not make the climb the first time .. then we would try being pushed by the loader ... if that didn't work we would put the chains and deep lock up , and try her again ... in this case we had to get more help thats why the grader was called in and the sander ....
If it snowed I would put the chains on .... other then that there was so much wheight on the drives to get you going anywhere if it was not at the botom  of a hole like this ....
We where hauling 60,000 kilos to 75,000 kilos net ... there was weight on the tires only needed a little sand

Marcel

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #850 on: January 22, 2005, 01:18:56 pm »
WOW  :o 45,000 kilos isn't even allowed here on the highways. I can't imagine hauling that on off-road and rough roads.

Do you folks use BWS trailors? They make'm here in town, and most around here use'm for logging. I know they use'm in Ontario and Quebec in some places.

http://www.bwstrailers.com/logger.php

Dirty Harry

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #851 on: January 22, 2005, 01:45:00 pm »

Most used these Témisko trailers they are built at Notre Dame du Nord . Témiscamingue Qué.
We had one truck that had three axle drive I'll get some pictures of ti later on and post them .. it had the extend a bunk on his trailer ... I beleive that it would extend 20" it would make a big difference in the center of gravety ....

Marcel

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #852 on: January 22, 2005, 02:22:21 pm »
isawlogs,

Looks like a nice heavy duty trailor.

Dirty Harry

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #853 on: January 22, 2005, 02:35:51 pm »
 Swamp....
they had to be .. not that I want to put them in a better quality , it just happened that they where built not far from where we worked ...
Some of the trucks would be hauling at over 100,000 kilos crosse ,  
we had little loads on at 60,000kilo net .... Most of it being placed on the front of the trailer so that the weight would be on the drives ....

Marcel

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #854 on: January 22, 2005, 02:47:02 pm »
I'm stay'n outta those woods in winter. ;) :D

Dirty Harry

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #855 on: January 22, 2005, 03:05:59 pm »

international paystar with heated sander , exhaust would go through the box of the sander , it being double walled and keep the sand from freezing .... most of the time ....
We had three of these on the road at all times , one would be at the main camp at Tee Lake for a back-up...
This one had a 400 cummins with 15 speed fuller , it had full lock on rear end ...

Marcel

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #856 on: January 22, 2005, 03:29:31 pm »
A Load of Sawlogs Is On Its Way To The Mill. The trip will take approximately 2 hours. The trucker will then make a return trip for another load. Sportsman's Port LLC timber harvest; 12/04.

~Ron

Offline WV_hillbilly

• Work can be shocking at times . Bellaire , OH
« Reply #857 on: January 22, 2005, 06:29:19 pm »
 Marcel
   those pictures of your 's show some extreme  log hauling .  It looks like it was a chore just to keep the roads passable . I have to agree with Swampdonkey  on stayin away from those woods . I thought we had  some problems dealing with coal haulers on our roads  .  Do I understand  that these roads where for the logging activities only .

Ron  
That looks like a pretty heavy load of sawlogs on that truck also .  How many Bd/Ft can they haul in a load like that ?
Hillbilly

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #858 on: January 22, 2005, 09:48:47 pm »
 It was for hauling only .... had signs up at the begining of road and every 10 kilo.  ... but people dont know how to read  wether it be french or english or chinese for that matter . Made for some hair rising times at times ...
It was not that hard to keep the road open the trucks would do it most of the time , at the speed we traveled the trailers would sweep the roads , only during major storms that the grader would be called to grade the road , or when there would be to much ice build up. the sanders wher out 24 hrs , two 12 hr shifts... We had 18 trucks and would haul 24 hrs ...
I'll put more pic on when I dig them up ....
Forgot to metion that we had 10 pickets on the trailers , the 8' where to short ...

Marcel

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #859 on: January 23, 2005, 05:58:57 am »
10-12 MBF on our loads or about 50 tons.
~Ron