The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment  (Read 880793 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
Re: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment
« Reply #760 on: August 30, 2004, 03:42:39 am »
I can imagine those thickets are shrubs and young hardwood. Add some balsam fir undergrowth to that and its like working in the closet with no view to the crowns of the harvest trees. A person has to take time and cut that stuff out for safety exits. I hope them trees are worth it. ;)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #761 on: August 30, 2004, 07:43:53 pm »
Yes, the sugar maple sawlogs in this area are worth it, but some tough logging.

This is still in the same area where we cleared a ski slope on last winter until we were "blown out " by the constant heavy snow. Earlier photos on this tread show the ski slope harvest and winter conditions.

Hopefully we will be done in this area in another month.
~Ron

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #762 on: August 31, 2004, 07:30:05 am »
Yup, I've been following your posts and pictures Ron. :) Hardwood on most ski hills above 400 meters in this area are nothing but shrubby short pulpwood. Look nice from a distance and in fall colors, but that's about it. Crabbe mountain has better hardwood, but its not that high in elevation. It juts up from the fringe of the New Brunswick lowlands.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline timberjack_teen

• Wood swinger
« Reply #763 on: August 31, 2004, 04:51:49 pm »
I found this website a couple days ago... its very very interesting to see the different kinds of operations that are around. I was lookin through all the pages of the different kinds of methods, n i taught to myself, "i sure would like to show these guys the equipment i run and work around" well... a couple pages later i see a picture with a 690stroke delimber and a prentice 210 slasher sittin on a landin. I found it very odd considering we have both them machines... i then scroll down and sure enough there is a couple more picutres... THen i realize THAT IS OUR EQUIPMENT!!! lol... funny how that worked. We have an interesting operation. 5 brothers and me a nephew. We run a CTL operation and what we call a "full tree" operation, what involves the slasher delimber fellerbuncher n skidder. I'm the forwarder operation. I run a 1110d Jack. I run behind a 1270d(there is a picutre of it one this site a couple pages back) Any body have questions?... i'd love to answer em...

Scott
Anything but PONSEE!

Offline Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #764 on: August 31, 2004, 05:02:22 pm »
timberjack_teen, who do you work for? Maybe I know of them if they work in Michigan.  Was it one of your guys that is on here too that posted the pictures? Thats pretty interesting about finding your own equipment on here!  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #765 on: August 31, 2004, 05:24:25 pm »
Yup, that sure makes for an interesting conversation finding out your equipment is posted in a forum and not knowing it. ;)  Timberjack_teen, stick around and I'm sure someone will throw a question or two your way. Just one thing, we kinda gotta know which page in the thread to look for that equipment before we start sling'n them questions, she's a purdy long thread ya know. ;)

This thread is probably one of the most popular threads of the forum, thanks to all the find folks that contributed and posted pictures.  8)

cheers

Dirty Harry

Offline timberjack_teen

• Wood swinger
« Reply #766 on: August 31, 2004, 09:09:04 pm »
I work for Piwarski Brothers Logging. and no it was none of them that posted the pictures on this site. The pictures are one page 31 of this thread. there is 4 pictures i believe, one of the delimber and slasher, one of the delimber, one of our 850 and one of our 1270.
Anything but PONSEE!

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #767 on: September 01, 2004, 04:05:51 pm »
Timberjack_teen,

Piwarski Brothers Logging is well known there in Iron River and some good people. I was visiting Ski Brule Mt. and my friend Steve Polich there last winter and noted your logging operation going on there near the chalet area parking lot.
It had a good diversity of equipment in a small area so it made for some good logging equipment photos. I was never able to catch someone on site though. Were you working there then?

I'm from Iron River also. I'd like to get out on a "big job" with you some time when I'm back up that way.
~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #768 on: September 02, 2004, 07:49:28 am »
The Noon Lunch-Break. The "boss" checks in with the mill office with his cell phone while his cutter sharpens the 395 Husky's for the afternoon's work. Lee timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

Offline DanManofStihl

• Full Member x2
  • Cut em down Dan
« Reply #769 on: September 02, 2004, 06:20:32 pm »
I always like to keep five or six spare chains so I do not have to sharpen them in the field I think that is a pain in the butt. Nice looking truck though f250 or f350. I have to wait for my dakota to die to get a truck like that.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #770 on: September 08, 2004, 08:17:52 am »
Repairs Are Needed. The harvest crew work to repair the Valmet forwarder. Its' boom doesn't work due to a worn "O ring" in the control box. A large hex wrench  is needed for the job which they don't have in their tool box. They try to improvise. Lee timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #771 on: September 15, 2004, 05:20:54 pm »
A Load of Quality Sawlogs. Ready for delivery to Wheelers Wolf Lake Sawmill. Lee timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

Offline CosmoPack

« Reply #772 on: September 16, 2004, 09:52:03 am »

Finally figured out how to post an image!

This is a Prentice 384 in North Carolina processing Loblolly pine - largest butts 26"

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #773 on: September 16, 2004, 02:58:53 pm »
Welcome, CosmoPack!

You're a pretty quick study to get it on the first post.  :D :D
extinct

Offline CosmoPack

« Reply #774 on: September 17, 2004, 09:26:49 am »
I had to make several attempts before I figured it out!  I've got a lot of photos of logging in the south and overseas too!  I've got to scan a few of them in and add to the gallery.  

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #775 on: September 17, 2004, 04:16:16 pm »
As always, It's great to see some other region timber harvest methods & equipment.
~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #776 on: September 19, 2004, 05:58:57 pm »
A Load of Veneer Logs Heads North on the Freeway.
H-131 north; 8/04.

~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #777 on: September 20, 2004, 05:35:32 pm »
FabTech FT-133 Processor. Working in red pine. Deschermeir timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #778 on: September 22, 2004, 06:07:15 pm »
FabTec FT-133 Processor. Moves through the landing and decking area on to the next timber stand for processing. Deschermeir timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #779 on: September 24, 2004, 04:05:00 pm »
Here is some work a college of mine is doing near Miramichi Lake, 10 miles south of Juniper, NB. The harvesting is being done for Fraser Sawmills in Juniper, NB.  I've been helping with trail layout this week for a couple days. We are in mixedwood stands of balsam fir, red spruce, maple and birch species. The prescription is to remove the mature fir. Any softwood in the trails, except white pine are also taken. Its a challenge on some sites working with the terrain. I forgot to snap a shot of one of the rocky peeks I encountered today. 20-30 % of the volume is being harvested.

The Timber Jack 608B processor out on the yard. The crew has gone home for the weekend. Its Moose season. ;D

Felling head, close-up

TimberJack 230A forwarder, idle on the yard. It rests against the toolshed truck to secure the tools against theft. An all too common occurance in the woods.

6 foot tall, high flotation tires.

Here's some wood, red spruce and balsam fir sawlogs.

Here are some views of the trail network. The orange-black striped ribbon mark the trail network. Well, I guess they're not possible to see at this scale, sorry.

Main Trail used by the processor and forwarder, leading to the yard.

Side trail: trails are running parrallel to the camp roadway. There are several camps on in the road on Miramachi Lake.

Trails are spaced 15 meters apart. All watercourses and wet areas are flagged and buffered from machine travel.

Here's a couple views of the Miramichi Lake, autumn colors are beginning to show on the surrounding hillsides.

Some camps on the lake

Its been a warm and  beautiful week to be in the bush, 75 deg today.

Cheers :)

Dirty Harry