The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment  (Read 880820 times)

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
Re: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment
« Reply #3360 on: July 22, 2016, 08:36:38 pm »
Bet your glad you don't live across the conn. river they have BIG rocks. I worked on some rds in the green mountain Nat. forest in the early 80, we would find open spots between trees on upper hill sides to get material for fills.
Ed K

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
« Reply #3361 on: July 28, 2016, 07:31:22 pm »
The truck is getting a little help getting over the hill on a greasy morning.  I am so glad to have the harvester moved to a flat area with short yarding trails for a little while.  We have been working nasty side hills all summer.  The valley behind the landing is where these nice spruce logs came from.  Most of the block is tolerant hardwood but there are some dandy spruce.  The block has not been touched for many decades.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #3362 on: July 29, 2016, 11:25:05 am »
A good load. Hills can be a real pain to work. Some special knowledge and skills are needed.
~Ron

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3363 on: July 29, 2016, 06:37:58 pm »
just wondering   how come you don't put chains on :-\ or is it easyer to push it out

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #3364 on: July 30, 2016, 08:49:55 am »
Around here if the road is kind of loose all chains really do is let you dig down farther faster. Pushing is quick and easy.

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3365 on: July 30, 2016, 09:24:09 am »
coxy  if there are rocks in the road you will be repairing chains every time you put them on .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer and not near enough time

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #3366 on: August 16, 2016, 02:33:27 pm »
This woodhauler makes time down the highway with a load of red pine saw bolts probably headed for an Amish sawmill.

~Ron

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3367 on: August 20, 2016, 05:16:27 pm »
Fighting rain, hills, and ruts has been the norm in northern MN this summer. It could be worse, we're not flooder or anything like folks are dealing with other places.

A little deceptive rut fixing with the bucket

Like it never even happened ;D These little boogers come ride with me sometimes, our 3 youngest. It's one of the little blessings being able to bring the kids out with me

And finally, after slogging through mud and lots of bad terrain, with the accompanying poor production, it's nice to get a job like this. Red pine clear cut, very good production. 2 Ponsse Buffalo Kings, about 650 cords on the landing in 3 days.The only downside is for the landowner, this plantation got wiped out by a windstorm >:(

Too many irons in the fire

Online Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #3368 on: August 20, 2016, 05:23:49 pm »
I love your OCD stacking. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3369 on: August 20, 2016, 11:26:14 pm »
The challenge is to be neat and FAST ;) To be honest, we have more of an emphasis on the fast part, but I do my best to keep things as neat as I can while keeping the crane a-swingin' ;) I've had like 5 truck drivers say "thanks for the neat piles" in 4 years so I must be doing something right :) :D

Online snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3370 on: August 21, 2016, 07:53:33 am »
The challenge is to be neat and FAST ;) To be honest, we have more of an emphasis on the fast part, but I do my best to keep things as neat as I can while keeping the crane a-swingin' ;) I've had like 5 truck drivers say "thanks for the neat piles" in 4 years so I must be doing something right :) :D
   you gotta stop putting these pictures of perfect wood piles on here. this is what i hear ...why dont your piles look like barbenders.......

Offline Logger RK

• I'm new!
« Reply #3371 on: August 21, 2016, 08:24:26 am »
I believe in neat piles also. Then we have trucks picking it up without having to call. I was told once by a trucker that I must sit a the bar and practice pilling straw's up when I'm not Logging. :D I always figure it's worth taking pride in your work. Even when fixing Eq,if it involves wielding I'll intial it & put the year,if there's room. I'm still seeing things my Dad fixed 40 years ago 8)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3372 on: August 21, 2016, 02:16:52 pm »
I'll share a secret with you guys- the camera makes things appear neater than they really are ;) The big pile on the far side of the hayfield was put up by the other operator, he tends to trend more to the "fast" than the "neat" :D The main thing I try to accomplish when making piles is that the trucks can reach everything and load with a minimum of fuss; they get paid by the load, I get paid by the hour. I try to keep the sticks laying level and parallel, I am less concerned with them being perfecly flush on the ends. Within 6" is close enough. Another area I can help them out is keeping as much brush and dirt out of the piles as possible. I could go faster if I just closed the bucket on the wood with no concern with what comes up with it- and some guys do. I figure forwarding in of itself is a  pretty simple job, it's how you deal with all the little issues that come up that can make you stand out ;)

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
« Reply #3373 on: August 23, 2016, 09:31:34 pm »
I've had one small flat area since June.  Getting a little tired of nasty sidehills.  I'm having to use the excavator on some of these trails in order to make it accessible for the forwarder. My road into this block comes off the Route 8 hwy at the top of the pictures

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3374 on: August 23, 2016, 10:39:21 pm »
Pictures never do the hills justice. I'm thinking that is very steep though.

Offline AlexHart

« Reply #3375 on: August 23, 2016, 11:05:21 pm »
What a nice view that's making.   I guess if you can look out there while eating lunch that would count as a fringe benefit.  :) 

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3376 on: August 23, 2016, 11:08:55 pm »
 Always nice to have a good view on a job, that is nice looking country.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3377 on: August 23, 2016, 11:16:33 pm »

Still on the same job, slow progress and waiting out log prices. 

I knew one of these days I would get the pleasure of working on that boom chain, didn't realize it broke till it spit the whole thing out the back. Miserable job getting it back together. 

Maintenance.  :D  dust is so bad everything needed a bath again. We have 2 water wagons and the little one works great for the washer. 

The guy didn't have a big enough excavator.  :D basically shut down cutting wood and driving truck when I'm home lately.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3378 on: August 24, 2016, 09:26:26 pm »
barge we had a 400 in the blue stone quarry one time that thing was a monster   the one so called operator ripped the bucket to shreds trying to get the top rock off the boss just smiled and said they better get another bucket here asap   about 8-9 years ago I was some place over by Tannersville and they where doing some digging in the river from a flood I think    I saw the biggest excavator I ever saw in person that thing was huge it had double dipper rams and doudle jib boom rams  one track looked to be about 4ft wide 

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3379 on: August 25, 2016, 12:52:35 am »
 That's a new 490 Komatsu with all the emissions crap, eats 100gal a day on economy mode in 6hrs just loading trucks. The tunnel they are digging is something to see, they lower a 135 kobelco zero in to load the rock pail and it looks like an ant. When we where doing the mass excavation part of it they had a new 375E Cat with a 5yd pail, they had 10-12 trucks hauling to keep up. I remember when a 690-790 was a big machine. It's nice work down there but the rock is rough, just lined another box last weekend with 450 hardox. Your "buddy" still have that limber he dragged down from Maine ?