The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment  (Read 881137 times)

Offline timberlinetree

• Senior Member x2
Re: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment
« Reply #3220 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:46 am »
Lots of nice iron and great jobs! Thanks for posting and work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #3221 on: March 18, 2016, 12:41:07 pm »
Ditto! Well done!
~Ron

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3222 on: March 19, 2016, 10:52:08 pm »
Coxy-  had never thought about that but I bet it would warm up fuel, she does move alot of air, at least get something out of the 40-55gal of fuel she drinks every day. 

1 jack helping another jack.  :D. I caught a stick in the center and it didn't end well. 1 of the cab jack hoses was bad, so lifted the cab and replaced 4 hoses yesterday. 

Had a guy on FB tell me that "you can't get any wood" with a grapple skidder. Yes sometimes cable is the only way to go, but working behind a buncher you will curse all day long with cable getting bunches. I tried to buy a semi-clean 640D with a 400 winch last week but the guy won't haggle at all.  :D
 Head back to the boat next week, I doubt this arrives before I leave. 1600hrs, leslie equipment guarding package, she is fast. 

Haven't been on much, get home and crash. Trying to pound out this woodlot, only about 30% done so far.

Offline Plankton

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3223 on: March 20, 2016, 07:50:26 pm »
Nice shots barge! That's a serious hitch on there!

Snapped this photo yesterday hard to tell but 600 ft and a pulp twig all the old girl wanted.

Another good one for the clark 664

About a truck and a half there yesterday, shipped one load out today. One of these days Ill get a photo or video of the walking deck trailers these logs go out on.

Online coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3224 on: March 20, 2016, 08:24:23 pm »
those walking floor trailers are neat the only thing they are a pita to load with the bars going a crossed the top and have to load from the back we did 3 one day the one old guy showed us how to do it (the last guy ) the other 2 all they did was complain how we were doing it that was the first time I ever saw them trailers and how they worked

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
« Reply #3225 on: March 21, 2016, 09:00:33 pm »
A chipping operation set up on the same road we are still trucking out of.  Had to wait a bit for them to finish loading today before I could get by.  A Tigercat 845 buncher, a couple of 748 Deere skidders and a Morbark flail chipper on this job.  This outfit does not take long to cut a block.   

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3226 on: March 23, 2016, 09:11:01 pm »
     Scenes from spring breakup

Load ready to go, that's probably around 18 cords of black spruce-

And today, starting a really nice pine thinning on sandy ground. Over half of what is cut is going for poles, it takes a very nice stand of wood for that

Too many irons in the fire

Offline Clark

« Reply #3227 on: March 23, 2016, 10:17:02 pm »
     And today, starting a really nice pine thinning on sandy ground. Over half of what is cut is going for poles, it takes a very nice stand of wood for that

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Holy! Is this state or federal ground?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3228 on: March 23, 2016, 11:49:25 pm »
     This is a state sale, right next door to the state nursery/research station at Bedoura so it has recieved a fair amount of grooming I think ;) This area has lots of well managed plantations, red, white and jack pine of varying age classes. It looks kind of like a pine garden :D

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3229 on: March 23, 2016, 11:52:02 pm »
     Those poles are straight, I was using the panoramic function on my camera and it makes them look crooked :)

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3230 on: March 24, 2016, 01:09:33 am »
You guys put up nice piles of wood.  :D.

Offline g_man

« Reply #3231 on: March 24, 2016, 11:52:13 am »
A change in scale. A little TSI job did last season. I put a tractor road in last July

Cut the fir and some firewood late December

This is what it looked like last week

gg

Offline killamplanes

• one man band
« Reply #3232 on: March 24, 2016, 12:46:18 pm »

jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Offline killamplanes

• one man band
« Reply #3233 on: March 24, 2016, 12:47:51 pm »
Everybody does things different as long as we make $ most the time
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3234 on: March 24, 2016, 11:54:37 pm »
Everybody does things different as long as we make $ most the time

Isn't that the truth! I love seeing all the different ways we go about getting the wood out.

G man, I love doing the type of work that you are. I wish I could be out with a saw in my hands more- I did get to drop 3 :o ;D trees today, I love felling timber.  If I could make a living around here doing small scale harvests with a focus on TSI, I'd be all over it.

View down a strip

Poles and bolts on the landing

Online coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3235 on: March 25, 2016, 05:07:43 am »
on the poles how many limbs are you guys allowed on the bud whorl   all of the red pine around here has 5 limbs and they wont buy it I cleared about 2a of red pine for a house site some of the r pine was 20in dbh and straight as an arrow shame to let it rot away the 2 soft wood mills are packed solid

Offline 78NHTFY

• I'm old!
« Reply #3236 on: March 25, 2016, 09:56:55 am »
g-man: nice lot, nice load!  Have been doing the same--just fun being out in the woods at this time of year without 3' of snow to wade through.  This Winter sure has been different.  All the best, Rob. 
If you have time, you win….

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3237 on: March 26, 2016, 03:27:26 pm »
     Every time I get on a pole job, I start thinking about this video-
     This is a very efficient forwarder operator- in Europe, I think they are very methodical compared to us in North America. They actually put operators through schooling before they ever get in a machine. My boss, I had only talked to him on the phone, he told me where the job was and where to find the keys on the machine :)  At any rate, I'm wondering if any of you other CTL operations handle poles much, and have any of you made an attachment like this operator has on his back bunk for skidding poles? I'll probably weld something up today, but I'm curious how others deal with poles with a forwarder. I'll just say, the way we do it works great until you have to turn :)

Coxy, the pole buyer pre-marks the poles on the sale, with the length written on them. So we don't sort them ourselves, although I did quiz the pole cruiser as to what he's looking for. Mainly, the straightness, minimum diameter, branch whorls aren't an issue except for diagonal knots.

Offline 1270d

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3238 on: March 26, 2016, 05:00:02 pm »
I have never cut poles.  That does look like a pretty simple and effective  way to forward them out.   Looks like it allows another pivot point for turning.    Seems like there could only be one row on that rack or the next ones would slide off.      How many can you carry at a time barbender,  three or four?    This guy looks like he could get eight or ten on.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3239 on: March 26, 2016, 05:21:56 pm »
     1270, if the landing is set up so I don't have to turn, I can put on 10 on that are size that are on this job (32', 37', and 42'). I guess I could fit mor, but I try not to push it as it puts all the weight on the back bunk, not to mention the strain put on the machine if you have to turn. If we get into big ones I might only skid 4. It all depends on how much turning I have to do. When I have long ones (47, 52,57, and 62' I don't think I've gotten into any longer) and turns, I sometimes just fill the "basement" with pulp or bolts, just so the poles can pivot and not bind up in the bottom of the bunks.  This is one of those situations where the mechanic and I keep talking about slapping one of these together, but then I get the job done and we forget about it until the next pole job comes up, 6 months later ::)  On this job however, I am having a heck of a time because the strips are laid out perpindicular to the woods road, and it is so tight I can't make the corner without poles on. I have to come out, stop and back up. So it is starting to get very tedious, and even the skidding plate won't completely solve my dilemma.