The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment  (Read 881089 times)

Offline keen

Re: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment
« Reply #2640 on: November 16, 2014, 08:36:42 pm »
It's been a while since I posted any picture. Here is a few of the cuts we did this year.

Some good size hard maple. Nice mature woods with no under brush to deal with.

Harvesting some ash for my amish neighbor. In my area the amish are not allowed to  use chainsaws so we do a lot of cutting for them. Sure was nice to get to the job site in less than a minute.

Laying out some strips of aspen. Trying to keep them lined up as good as possible so the forwarder can get loaded quick. The aspen on this job has been running around 50 cord of acre. Good production wood.

The old tree farmer earning its keep. The logs are cut at 7ft and sent to the local amish for pallet wood. Hoping to have processor marks on the logs soon. The wife said once I pay a few things off I can pull the trigger.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #2641 on: November 16, 2014, 09:16:51 pm »
What are the long logs on the trailer for? Are they long just for convenience, or are they for a special product?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline keen

« Reply #2642 on: November 16, 2014, 09:29:41 pm »
The long logs will be marked and bucked for veneer at the mill. Saves us some bucking and decision making.

Offline CuddleBugFirewood

« Reply #2643 on: November 16, 2014, 09:40:03 pm »
Keen. That's nice looking maple logs.   

Offline keen

« Reply #2644 on: November 16, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »
It was some nice timber. This is the landowner in the pic, retired detective heck of a nice guy. Nice woods with little under growth makes our job easy, wish I could stay in gravy patches like that all the time.

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
« Reply #2645 on: November 16, 2014, 10:09:10 pm »
Nice looking stuff!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline lopet

• Senior Member x2
  • Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
« Reply #2646 on: November 16, 2014, 10:18:59 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  Is that a Hood loader on that porter ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2647 on: November 17, 2014, 05:42:04 am »
if I had h maple like that my buyer would think I was cutting on the state  :D that looks like it should be a 5 dollar or more a foot log     is that ash or aspen in the saw pic  nice looking trees     thanks for sharing

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2648 on: November 17, 2014, 07:47:23 am »
if I had h maple like that my buyer would think I was cutting on the state  :D
Isnt that the truth. I know where some cherry sits on the state that would blow your mind. About 50 trees on top of the knob in a 2 acre spot. Smallest is maybe 28 dbh. Problem is its 3x the stump value and a fancy ankle bracelet.  ;)

Offline eichenberg93

« Reply #2649 on: November 17, 2014, 07:57:55 am »
Some nice logs. Its always nice to cut with no Brush. How many cord can you get on the forwarder?

Offline keen

« Reply #2650 on: November 17, 2014, 10:30:26 am »
Yep lopet, its a hood loader on the porter. Its been a good machine got a good deal on it and put a little time  in it getting it running good.

Coxy your  right on the maple price. Small hearted veneer on large logs like that can bring 3-8 dollars a foot. It amazes me what trees like that can sell for. The pic with the saw is aspen, the saw has a 24" bar on it. That's a good sized healthy aspen for our area.

Sounds like some whoppers BargeMonkey, its always good to see some bigguns still standing.

Eichenber93 the clear ground makes up for all the time spent cutting around thorn apple and otamolive trees lol. The forwarder will hold two cord of 8 footers.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2651 on: November 17, 2014, 10:19:19 pm »
You got enough rubber under that load? ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

« Reply #2652 on: November 18, 2014, 09:57:55 pm »
How do I get this image to rotate 90 degrees.... I tried the crop and rotate, and save... I uploaded from a phone, but am posting now from a computer...  When I view it in my album it brings up the large picture correctly when I click on crop and rotate. 

« Reply #2653 on: November 19, 2014, 01:18:19 pm »
Ha, not sure why it looks right now, so well try again... Yoder Job 2014.  I about 90 acres timber, I am about 1/2 done.  Will take me a while.

Swing boom in action.. had to cut the log in two, to get by a few trees without skinning them up. 

High stump along skid road on right is due to old barb wire fence.  Seems like a fair number of trees on this job have had fence in them, and if they are mertchantable I will go ahead and cut because they will never be good veneer trees with the metal stain in them.

damage and tops... the trees you see bent over or scarred are elm trees, and are generally cut in a tsi situation....  The have come in under the shade of the oaks as they seem to be more tolerant of shade.  What is not shown is a small red oak about 30 foot high to the left of the picture that did not get squished.  The tops make good brush piles for wildlife, and the amish landowner and neighbors will cut many of them up for firewood.

All the green leaves = The enemy of the woods.... Amur Honeysuckle.... aka bush honeysuckle.  This will eventually take over much of our eastern woodlots...This spot is not too bad..yet.  others in his wood lot I had to make a path with the skidder or duck under all of it to get to the trees to harvest.  The landowner I am cutting on has no plans to control this invaisve, and this farm is next to my dads, which we have painstakingly worked to rid the woods of this invaisve.  We are trying to convince him to at least do some controled burns or let the kids loose with some loppers.

small red oak I left... you can tell by the top it was suppressed.  My experience suggest these types of "leave" trees will either die or be surpassed by another tree in about 10 to 20 years...What do the foresters think... I thought about cutting it and letting it stump sprout. 

A few leave trees. One on the right most would cut around 22 inches or so, but i had a small group opening just outside pict and wanted to leave for seed.  The red oak right here seemed to be doing well and I suspect those two trees will be about 25 to 30 inches in about 20 - 30 years when this farmers son has a harvest done.  A clump of post oak in the background. 

Need to get some pics of the log piles next....

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2654 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:25 pm »

The one woodlot you dont wanna cut when the weather turns bad. Steep. Rocky. 1 mile skid. Want to get in and get out. 

Thats looking N/E, skid road goes up another 400 ft at a wicked graded then your staring DOWN on Windham Mt. There is some ok timber, alot of it is ice damaged and wind twisted.

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2655 on: November 19, 2014, 10:03:24 pm »
Some decent looking stuff! That 450 should work good on a long skid like that

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #2656 on: November 20, 2014, 03:13:14 pm »
Started this CTL northern hardwoods job just before the heavy snows came in. Working in some step hills, so don't know if our logger can get the job done this winter with the excessive early heavy snow. Also since the transmission on his Timberjack forwarder went out yesterday and they are working on it in the woods today under less than favorable weather conditions. The "low points" of being a logger. ;)

~Ron

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2657 on: November 20, 2014, 08:00:04 pm »

Hitch after hitch. Roads are so narrow if you slip 1 wheel off your done. ive been getting 9-10 good ones to a drag, she handles it fine just a pain turning corners.   

Theres a pile of wood sitting there now, finishing slashing in the morning. When i say MONTHS cutting HM, BC, and RO on this lot, theres alot there there.  :D :D :D

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2658 on: November 20, 2014, 09:18:17 pm »
Now those are some nice sized hitches! Looks like the jack pulls good!

Following the truck out tonight after work

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2659 on: November 21, 2014, 12:29:06 am »
 Nice drag, Bargemonkey! 8)
Too many irons in the fire