The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment  (Read 880903 times)

Offline Jamie_C

Re: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment
« Reply #2460 on: August 27, 2014, 05:50:47 pm »
1270d ... we process at the stump behind a pair of Tigercat 870 bunchers, only trouble with the head so far has been the computer module that controls the bottom knife. Currently it is jury rigged by being wired to open and close with the feed wheel arms, it's a pain in really limby/crooked wood but I deal with it ... boss doesn't want to fix it properly

Ken, actually for a machine that tips the scales at about 27 tonnes with the head the old girl sips fuel. It has the Mercedes engine, we can get four shifts out of a tank of fuel (957 litre tank capacity) .. I figure average fuel consumption is around 20 liters an hour.

Offline M Cook

• I'm new!
« Reply #2461 on: September 03, 2014, 12:19:57 am »
I'm new to the forum, but have been full time producing for 35 yrs.  spent the last week reading this thread, enjoyed it very much, I'm for central lower MI and know a lot of the operators that Ron Scott posted.  On pages 23 & 25 there are pictures of a Hydro-Ax with a boom and processor head, that was ours and here is the story behind it.

Our Hydro-Ax dealer was Doyle Equipment and at that time they were getting a lot of used machines on trade without a good market for them.  So Joe Doyle and I came up with the idea of mounting a boom and processor on a 511, Hydro-Ax had done this before in the 1980's with a model 6200 which was a boomed carrier with a 16 inch buncher head on it.  This concept never took off however Hydro-Ax did get the bugs worked out of them before they were discontinued.

So they mounted a new Serco loader, reinforced the mast and main boom, then put a new LogMax 5000 on it.  All the tires were loaded for better stability, the pumps were changed to accommodate the boom and processor.  I bought the machine as an experimental unit, it had great speed and power but lacked good stability and  needed an extend a boom.  Overall it gave us good service and in decent wood averaged 250 cords per week.

I sold it in 2005 along with TJ 1010 forwarder and bought new chip vans, our main operation is flail chips for PCA in Filer City, MI

I will try to get some pictures of our equipment on the forum ( still learning ) 
Thanks for reading sorry about being so long.

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #2462 on: September 03, 2014, 05:10:26 am »
M Cook,welcome to the forum. Thanks for the story of the Hydro-Ax.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #2463 on: September 05, 2014, 04:37:23 pm »
A load of mixed hardwoods pulpwood is about ready to leave the landing. Hintz timber sale 8/2014.

~Ron

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2464 on: September 06, 2014, 12:26:30 am »
I just never get over those Michigan trucks :o
Too many irons in the fire

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2465 on: September 06, 2014, 09:05:23 am »
 I dont know how they afford the rubber. How many cord or tons are on that truck ?

Offline clww

• Senior Member x2
  • Oh yeah? Watch this!
« Reply #2466 on: September 06, 2014, 09:13:38 am »
I dont know how they afford the rubber.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw those pics. Man, that's a bunch of tires!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60" Husky 372XP
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver for Millis Transfer

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #2467 on: September 06, 2014, 10:12:34 am »
Legal weight is around 50 tons/20 cord of wood depending on the setup of the truck. Most guys run more than that. Our truck normally hauls 25 cord and our hired trucker claims he can haul close to 30 cord depending on destination.

Offline M Cook

• I'm new!
« Reply #2468 on: September 06, 2014, 10:25:43 pm »
It does cost a lot more to own and operate Michigan trucks, we currently have one self loader that can gross 164k and can legally haul 112k.  We also run 5 chip vans that are 135 cubit yards capacity with 6 & 7 axles under them legal to haul 96k.  We are allowed 11 axles total, with anywhere from usually 3-5 air lift axles to be able to corner.

It is very expensive to purchase these trucks and trailers, also maintenance is very costly, the mills in this state expect us to haul our wood to them cheap because we are allowed to haul so much weight on a single load.  They don't seem to care what our costs are.

The other diffulculty with our trucks is it takes a lot of iron to get them out of the woods when the roads are mudded out, also you need good drivers who are familer with hauling heavy weight, the wrong guy can tear up a lot of drive line.

Mike Cook

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2469 on: September 09, 2014, 10:26:34 pm »

Pulling the bridge panels out.

1/2 done. The panels where 6x30 and 5-6 tons each. Approach to bridge was graded, seeded and mulch 75' from each end with 2 water bars.

Long slow drag out.

The woodlot im working on now.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2470 on: September 09, 2014, 10:34:06 pm »

New bar for the slasher.

Offline Southside logger

• Logging so I can afford to farm.
« Reply #2471 on: September 09, 2014, 10:38:10 pm »
Barge Monkey, that was not a nice name to call her,   :D :D
170 Franklin grapple skidder
Wicked Awesome Basset Hound
JD 490D with 4 roller FabTek processer
Hot wife
575XP, 372, 660
Wood Mizer LT35HDG25, Re-saw attachment
Official Member of the BBFC

Offline lopet

• Senior Member x2
  • Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
« Reply #2472 on: September 09, 2014, 10:55:01 pm »
5 or 6 ton for those panels  :o   What are they made off , I beams ?   But sure is a nice way to cross a waterway.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2473 on: September 09, 2014, 11:04:06 pm »
Barge Monkey, that was not a nice name to call her,   :D :D
   She decided she was coming to "help" me in the woods today, lets just say her future as a weekend skidder operator doesnt look too good.  :o

The panels are 10" thick, steel frame with solid HW beams filling the panels. I have a JRB coupler and forks for the 644H loader, and she knows it when you pick one of these panels. My barko loader will pick them but its not pretty.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2474 on: September 10, 2014, 08:34:31 pm »

Slow going by myself, finish this lot up next time I get home. Will NEVER buy wood thru this forester again. Back to the boat early Saturday, just in time to bring the boat back out.

Offline M Cook

• I'm new!
« Reply #2475 on: September 10, 2014, 10:30:49 pm »
Barge monkey

Good looking 450 jack, I used to have a 480c, we're still running a 560 & 660 jacks.  We bought a couple of 848's after deere bought out Timberjack, but they haven't held up as well as the 60 series TJ's.  We're still running them but are switching to Cats, we got a 545c that we are real happy with and also have a new 535d ordered that we're excited to get later this fall.

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2476 on: September 11, 2014, 09:34:32 pm »
 Mike,
 For some reason Cat skidders are rare around here, I know of 1 508 and a 518, southworth our local dealer hasnt had the greatest reputation, but Nortrax isnt far behind them. That 450C came out of northern NH, she runs good but I think she has been around the block a few times. Im happy so far with it, im actually thinking of buying a 380C I see for sale because of how nice she pulls. I park all my stuff for the time im gone, more of an expensive hobby than an actual job but its something to do, cant sit on the couch and collect welfare like the Obama crowd.  :D

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2477 on: September 11, 2014, 09:47:01 pm »

The load I dropped to the mill this morning, 3970bft. Not to bad, brought ok money. 

Slowly getting some wood back in the yard, shipped a bunch of firewood already and it hasnt even started yet, will sell every stick I have this year. 

Where I find the time to read the FF most of the time.  :D

Offline M Cook

• I'm new!
« Reply #2478 on: September 11, 2014, 10:21:18 pm »
BargeMonkey,

There aren't very many cat skidders here either, but cat is aggressively going after the forest industry and are doing extensive redesign and engineering on their equipment lines.  Cat also bought out Prentice and have improved that equipment also.  We currently are running a Prentice 2384 that was built by cat and also a 573c buncher, both machines are doing well and are much better built than the previous models.

Looks like you have a nice operation that allows you to enjoy cutting wood without all the pressure to put out everything that is possible every week. 

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2479 on: September 11, 2014, 11:29:36 pm »
 I bought my slasher from Southworth, and  they keep stopping in, I just cant justify a super new machine. Cat owns alot more than most people realize, between acquiring Blount, who owned prentice and fabtek, they also bought a company called "united railway", who owns EMD. In the marine world you have 3 choices for tug engines, MTU = junk, EMD, or Cat, I bet they control 80%+ of the market. All my stuff is paid for, I hustle but its been getting extremely aggravating lately, finding help just isnt possible. Back to the real job saturday, paid to sit and watch gauges, break other people's stones, drink coffee.