The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment  (Read 881138 times)

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
Re: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment
« Reply #2140 on: March 05, 2013, 10:09:54 am »
No expect with trucking.just saying that's the way it is done without 10 axles under it as you guys do it. These trucks are being weighted beside the road,every so often too. If they was overloaded those weight guys would be all over them after a while.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #2141 on: March 05, 2013, 10:19:58 am »
Here is a load that if I remember correctly scaled out at 250,000lbs. That's close to 100k over weight. He hauled many loads like that off a job and got away with it. Legal? Heck no. But he got away with it. At least in Michigan there are lots more trucks on the road than there are DOT guys, so your odds of getting away with it are pretty good. But every now and then the DOT guys will get a bug in their behind and will sit right outside a mill and stop just about every truck. Word travels fast on the CB and the trucks stop showing up.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2142 on: March 05, 2013, 10:23:22 am »
WOW!! Like to see the trucks in your area. That truck looks longer than the trucks here. Nice looking logs. What kind?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #2143 on: March 05, 2013, 10:27:14 am »
Red Oak.

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
« Reply #2144 on: March 05, 2013, 06:47:19 pm »
Before our road restrictions went on yesterday a 3 axle trailer such as ours can be licensed for 49 500kgs (109 000lbs).   Most roads except for the major highways put on a max 80% limit for the next couple of months. Some of the major highways are still 100%.  The load pictured below weighed in at a little over 52 000kgs             (114 000lbs).  That is what we generally try to haul.  Overweight by a little bit nearly every trip down the road but not enough to draw too much attention. 
I only know of one tandem truck locally with a loader at the back of the cab.  I'm not sure what he can license for but I suspect only about 6 cord of softwood.  Most tandem trucks also pull a pup trailer.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2145 on: March 05, 2013, 07:43:25 pm »
is that small red heart fir studwood?

Offline LOGDOG

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2146 on: March 05, 2013, 10:03:39 pm »
What an awesome load of wood ChevytaHOE5674! That would have been a nice looking load of wood to have on a truck at Logging Congress up there. Looks like a Western Star?

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
« Reply #2147 on: March 06, 2013, 04:15:24 am »
is that small red heart fir studwood?

That load is spruce/fir pulp going to a newly reopened OSB mill.

Cheers
Ken

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
« Reply #2148 on: March 06, 2013, 08:27:39 am »
   Cfarm here the definition of legal pretty much boils down to, will you be stopped and if so fined ?   Years ago I was told that for the most part  that is pretty much determined by  "visual impression" and by the reputation of the truck.   With a little effort you can get by.  I have never been stopped or fined so that has led me to believe that it works. But  to keep it in perspective I have never tried to cross the Provincial scales off Island.  Different truck specs allow for more weight. For example they look for trucks with a heavier front. Here they check to see if you have two steering cylinders on the front axle. Then with bigger tires you can have more weight on the front axle.  Woodhauler or snowstorm could give you a better answer than I.  As Ron has said to stay in business and make a living it has to be market driven. Then you have to get your product to the buyer.
   Jed, the stud mill shut down a couple of years ago and dismantled. At one time  pulpwood used to be barged over to Newfoundland.  Wood harvested here is hauled to NB, NS and to Main. There is a mill that plans to reopen in NS and wood is being bought and stock piled in a pit here. It is my understanding that it will be hauled to NS when the ferry starts up in the spring.
   Years ago when we were hauling tree length spruce to a mill in Main the trucker phoned around 2 pm said the load was refused. Told him to pull in behind the big Irving truck stop and stay there till he saw a lot of traffic going by indicating a shift change at the mill. Then beat it back to the mill. Sure enough load gone.   :D
logon

Offline Offthebeatenpath

• OBP Trailworks, LLC
« Reply #2149 on: March 06, 2013, 12:14:21 pm »
Stephen,
Guess you gotta do what it takes- good story.  Too bad there's no mills on PEI, but a mill in NS is better than Newfoundland!
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other trail building machines and tools...

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
« Reply #2150 on: March 06, 2013, 02:21:24 pm »
  Well Jed the word that still sends shivers is "temporary closures". Back then as a wood producer it was hard to know what to do.  Before the age of the internet, decisions  were based on pretty limited information.  When a mill shut the gate it was on to the next. As production overtakes demand things get bad in what seems like a heartbeat. Specs go up and prices down.  Lots of good folks lost gear,homes and with the added financial stress some lost families.  Things seem to have stabilized .  We can only hope for better days.
   Enjoyed your video, are the hydraulic filters still stuck out and vulnerable . That would work good on urban lots.  When you get that skidder up and running I think you will find it works well on those sites.
logon

Offline Offthebeatenpath

• OBP Trailworks, LLC
« Reply #2151 on: March 06, 2013, 03:48:45 pm »
Stephen, it seems to be the ebb and flow of all things.  I speak as much from family stories as I do from my own life.  I'm not seasoned enough to feel like I can say that from experience, but my family has been on the same piece of land for going on 250 years now.  It's taken some sacrifice to keep our little piece intact... but I'm getting off topic from the thread.

Just delivered the head, crank, and block back to the shop from the machinists for the 440D.  Should start putting the pieces back together tomorrow.  The hoses on the ASV are still exposed.  I switch between that bucket and a grapple that has the same issue.  Ripped the hoses off with a branch last year.  But yeah, it's good for small lots, backyards, etc.  I do quite a few small jobs- hazard tree removal, pulling firewood for landowners off their land, etc.  If I can charge by the hour, then I know I can do okay.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other trail building machines and tools...

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
« Reply #2152 on: March 06, 2013, 06:52:27 pm »
  For a lad of your age you seem to have a pretty broad skill set. What I have enjoyed most over the years is site reclamation projects.  This can be done for yourself or developers. Removal of derelict structures, tires out of streams, maybe a bridge, walking trails, habitat enhancement and general woodlot improvement. With what you have  and a log loader on a trailer I think you would be good to go.   Somehow add in some computer apps and digital photography.  You thought you could get off topic.   8) 8)  :D
logon

Offline Ryan D

• Long View Forestry
« Reply #2153 on: March 07, 2013, 07:07:24 pm »

Couple pics from my last job. Commercial thinning 45 year old Red Spruce. 1st pic is the finished product, 2nd is a nice Yellow Birch that was released and the last pic is a section of new road that we cleared for the landowner.

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
« Reply #2154 on: March 07, 2013, 07:48:45 pm »
Nice looking job Ryan D.  How much volume was removed and what type of equipment was used?  Whereabouts in NS?  Always love to do those types of jobs when the economics allow. 

Cheers
Ken

Offline redneck logger

« Reply #2155 on: March 07, 2013, 08:41:13 pm »
Hey Ryan D its not hard to tell that you take pride in everything you do keep up the good work and where abouts in Nova Scotia is that, im from Pictou County.
got to love working in the woods

Offline Ryan D

• Long View Forestry
« Reply #2156 on: March 07, 2013, 10:29:47 pm »
Nice looking job Ryan D.  How much volume was removed and what type of equipment was used?  Whereabouts in NS?  Always love to do those types of jobs when the economics allow. 

Cheers
Ken

We averaged around 10cords/acre of mostly studwood. The road clearing did put that average up a bit. I had funding for the commercial thinning and we also did some crop tree pruning which helped out with the economics. The woodlot is in Lunenburg and we did all of the skidding with my Kioti DS4510 and Farmi 501 winch. It isapretty slow setup and I'm going to buy a forwarding trailer sometime soon. We mostly do PCT work though, the logging is just a way to stay busy in the winter. I enjoy it the most though.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2157 on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:04 am »
How many hp is that Kioti again? A forwarder trailer is nice to have. looks good.  ;D

Offline Ryan D

• Long View Forestry
« Reply #2158 on: March 08, 2013, 01:00:00 pm »
45hp tractor. I'm just waiting for silviculture season to start and I am going to pull the trigger on a Metavic 1150 trailer.

Offline grassfed

• Kingdom Hill Farm
« Reply #2159 on: March 09, 2013, 03:06:31 pm »
This is a video of me cutting some trees on my WHIP cut. I am wedging back leaning trees using some GOL techniques. This was Friday morning.
Mike