The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment  (Read 881311 times)

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
Re: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment
« Reply #1440 on: March 25, 2008, 05:23:15 pm »
  Beech scale is on it's way to us  :( :'( :(  It's been in the eastern half of the UP for a while and is in the NW tip of the LP now.  The DNR attempted a control cut when it was first found in N Emmet County but it's since been found in other areas there also.  So it's only a matter of time now.  The theory is it came in from the UP on birds.  The scales are assexual and are only mobile for a short while in the spring I believe.  Birds and wind are their primary modes of transport.  That's how I remember it but I haven't read the literature in a while  ;) ;D  I'd prefer to leave beech standing for wildlife mast and shelter but they're goners anyway and this harvest site is going to be sold and the owner wants everything merchantable taken out.  Lots of firewood in one of these brutes.  Solid ones go for hardwood saw bolts.  This area was pretty thick with basswood and a few sugar maple.  It's pretty thin of anything now  :) :)
  Dave,  that mat musta been trying to climb out of the bed on its own  eh eh
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Tillaway

• Forester
  • Funny looking tall guy.
« Reply #1441 on: March 27, 2008, 10:35:31 pm »

A little down hill cable yarding Westwood Timber Sale 3/26/08.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=7QKqbVPY3QM
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Offline Bicboro

• Mountain Harvester
    • The Tree Harvester
« Reply #1442 on: April 13, 2008, 10:20:23 pm »
I am harvesting mountain sides.  It's quite a challenge, but I think I'm up for it.  I run 1270D wheeled harvester, but we put tracks on it.  I have a 1710D forwarder picking up behind me.  These pics are from January 08.  I traded these in, in April, and my new ones were delivered today.  I'll put up some pics of the new one soon.

PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY
See instructions here: Link
In depth look into mechanical harvesting.  www.thetreeharvester.com

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1443 on: April 14, 2008, 04:40:57 am »
Nice machines Bicboro. But hard on the dial-up. Should squeeze some bytes out of them and resize down to 450 per long side. Then upload them to your forum gallery. ;)

Do they do pre-commercial thinning on clearcut sites at a later date down there? Or just let it go wild?

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #1444 on: May 07, 2008, 05:38:01 pm »
Sale Closure.The timber harvest contract has been completed. The landing has been cleaned of all woody debris and graded. The iron mule forwarder is now driven onto the lowboy for transport to the next job. Sheffer timber harvest; 4/30/08.

~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #1445 on: May 09, 2008, 07:29:04 pm »
Sale Closure. The landowner (wearing suspenders) and the logger (in black sweatshirt) discuss a "job well done" on the 80 acres as the iron mule forwarder is loaded on the lowboy and ready the be hauled off the job. Sheffer timber harvest; 4/30/08.

~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #1446 on: May 12, 2008, 01:32:01 pm »
 On its Way. The iron mule forwarder leaves the harvest area. It will be trucked home for a rest and maintenance and then on to the next job. Sheffer timber harvest; 4/30/08.

~Ron

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
« Reply #1447 on: May 12, 2008, 02:12:54 pm »
Ron, thats a nice wrap up for a good job. How long did this job take from the initial contact to you thru the bid, contract, job start and then finish? 

Most of the state jobs I do here are 5 year contracts, and there are good tax reasons to hold a logging contract for at least a year before harvesting and on a sold as appraised job there are additional growth incentives to hold contracts as long as possible.

However, I know that most private landowners do not have the patience that the government has on logging jobs.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1448 on: May 12, 2008, 07:29:02 pm »
Gary, that's for sure. It's usually cut and run on woodlots here and you can see the results as most woodlots get liquidated in a harvest or so badly high graded that what gets left should be burnt.  ::)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #1449 on: May 12, 2008, 08:04:38 pm »
Gary,
Time frames on this job were as follows:

(1) September 22, 2005, landowner contacted me to look at their 80 acres of hardwoods and aspen. I met with the landowner and prepared a management prescription for their timber management. The landowner didn't want any activity on the property until after the October - December, 2005 deer seasons.

(2) January 6, 2006,  the landowner contacted me and signed an Agreement To Prepare & Manage Private Land Timber Harvest.Work on the property was now authorized.

(3) February 4 - March 4, boundary lines were checked and marked, timber was selectively marked and cruised. Round trip travel was 110 miles.

(4) March 21, 2006, Timber Sale Proposal, Bib Sheet, Timber Sale Area Map, and sample Private Land Timber Contract were prepared for approval by the landowner.

(5) April 15, 2006, Timber sale was put out on bids for a May 2, 2006 bid opening.

(6) A number of producers looked at the sale but markets were now going "soft" and most were "backed up" with wood to be cut. There was one bid that was acceptable.

(7) The Harvest Contract was signed on May 16, 2006 with an expiration date of April 30, 2008.

8.  September 12, 2007, the purchaser started the harvest with the intent to complete it in a short time frame. However with slow markets and backed up with wood on other sales they had to complete the job dragged out for 6 1/2 month until the very last day of the contract, April 30, 2008. This job was carried on longer than usual, mostly because of the poor markets.

I've found that logger's are never as timely as they say they will be. When they say tomorrow, it's usually two weeks from tomorrow.  ;)

The producer was one of my better ones, but poor markets and the reasons you mentioned caused their late start-up and slow production. Once they started they were slow and consistent, but did a good job overall.

Over all from first meeting with the landowner until harvest completion it was just over 2 1/2 years. I usually allow enough time on my contracts so as to get the better producers and bidders and I inform the landowners of this though they may sometimes get inpatient.  
~Ron

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1450 on: May 13, 2008, 05:01:01 am »
Yeah, quite a while to complete. You can get a few producers to do a good job, but you have to watch most of them close. Some tend to high grade if not watched over, and some take a long while and you wonder how they pay the bills. Had one guy that took 3 years and the owner was a town. They had budgeted $45,000 a year from harvests from a 300 acre woodlot. $45,000 was close to the figure from the volume removed in those 3 years. It took 3 years and the owners were at a point where they were calling everyone involved thieves.  That same lot had been badly high graded 10 years before. ::)

At the same time I looked after another lot that we harvested in the months of January-March over two years and collected the same amount of money on 80 acres. The job looked real good and you couldn't even see the skid paths after 3 years. Chalk full of regen. We had about 6 acres of clearings (I measured them), plus roads and the clearings where no bigger than 2 acres and down to less than 1 acre. It was areas of mature fir and aspen. Some of the aspen was veneer, most of the hardwood removed was small and low grade.

Dirty Harry

Offline AlexHart

« Reply #1451 on: May 22, 2008, 09:34:34 pm »
Well I've just recently joined this forum and I have really enjoyed reading this thread, especially seeing how you midwestern guys seem to put these 4 wheel forwarders to such effective use.   Almost nobody runs machines like that out here.    I just purchased a 1987 Franklin 132 forwarder from out in NW Illinois and had to pay to get it trucked all the way out here to Connecticut and can't wait to try it out once all the repairs are made on it.   Maybe I can get some pics and add something to this thread.   

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #1452 on: May 22, 2008, 10:23:12 pm »
Welcome to the Forum! You can't be too far from me, I'm just over the line in MA

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline AlexHart

« Reply #1453 on: May 23, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »
Thanks Dave,   I had never heard of Alford Mass and I just looked it up and you aren't very far from me at all.   I truck quite a bit into Bob Beham's yard in Ashley Falls and hauled a lot of logs off of Mt. Washington this winter which looks very close to you.  Its pretty funny I'd never heard of your town and I drove right by it dozens of times the last few months. If you ever need trucking or anything let me know.   

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #1454 on: May 23, 2008, 09:30:36 pm »
I'm about ~20 minutes from Bob. He said he stops by the Forum once in a while.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline timberfaller390

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1455 on: May 30, 2008, 10:42:24 pm »
WOW took a full week to get through that one, and that was just skimming through to look at all the purdy pictures. :D I especially liked the 3 pictures of the old log trucks,except for my saw and tractor all I run is old junk.. I mean antique equipment   ;D
Appalachian Hardwoods Lumber and Logging Co.
Peavine Valley Farms
Three Notch Forge Farrier Service
Stihl MS390
John Deere 5103
58 IHC A-162 log truck
70 Ford F600 log truck
75 Ford F750 equipment hauler
IHC 500 dozer
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Offline Harvester

« Reply #1456 on: June 03, 2008, 03:37:45 pm »
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, I just dreamed that I was -25 years and could start with the gear that below link shows:
http://www.e-series.fi/revolution/index.htm
The younger has a pretty good start nowadays with excellent machines, I had a TJ404 with "open cab" and the blue heaven above my hard hat, free exhaust smoke in my face.
 :)

Offline stonebroke

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #1457 on: June 03, 2008, 04:33:16 pm »
wonder how much they cost?

Stonebroke

Offline semologger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1458 on: June 04, 2008, 06:53:26 pm »
I want a couple of the simulators. They look like fun.

Offline stonebroke

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #1459 on: June 05, 2008, 08:06:22 am »
semologger

The real things would be much more fun.

Stonebroke