The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment  (Read 881049 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
Re: Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment
« Reply #1160 on: August 12, 2006, 07:40:05 pm »
I'm sure those are pine, right? I was curious if you folks have some good sized white ash in your area. The big ones have been harvested in my area, as there is a mill that buys ash exclusively. For my inquiry, a big one is over 24 inches on the butt. We'll have some nice ash again if folks don't keep pulping it along with aspen.  ::)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #1161 on: August 12, 2006, 08:03:01 pm »
Yes, I said they were white pine.There's been a logger about 10 minutes from me that has been hauling out big white ash,as you say,all summer.I know there are some bigger than 2 feet on the butt.I'm surprized to see it that big.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1162 on: August 12, 2006, 08:08:53 pm »
Had to go back and read a second time, as I missed it on the first read. ;)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #1163 on: August 12, 2006, 08:11:39 pm »
Now , if we can keep the emerald ash borer out of here.  ::)

Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1164 on: August 28, 2006, 09:32:02 pm »
Here's a few pictures of what they are doing on my land.
all loaded,ready to go

Picking up another log.

A big log.

More pictures will be coming of the forwader.Our new camera don't do all that great with the bright sun.Check out my gallery for more pictures.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline adirondack harvester

« Reply #1165 on: August 29, 2006, 10:58:50 am »
Nice Pictures!  A few questions though.  What equipment are they using to harvest your pine other than the forwarder?  Are they taking pulp out as well?

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1166 on: August 29, 2006, 08:54:02 pm »
They are using 2 brand new Husky 372 with 20 inch bars.The pulp will be coming out at a later time.The forwarder operator pulls the pulp out by his roads and when they feel they have enough,out it comes.They really push the logs.Really no money in pine pulp here,just cleans up the woods.They will also bring out the cedar and hemlock too.The cedar and hemlock is for me to cut on my mill.They only cut what is in the way as far as anything besides white pine.They was in a small stand of cedar and pine.No sense in knocking it down and get nothing for it.They are leaving pine that is 2 feet through.I can handle that size myself.I've been watching this guy cut for more than 20 years.He always does a real nice job on the lots I've walked on.He knows that I am real picker with my land.It would not bother me one bit to kick him off my land if it wasn't coming out the way I feel it should be.So far it coming out good.Sure does look alot differant now.

Offline mapleveneer

« Reply #1167 on: September 25, 2006, 04:25:37 am »
I have spent last week and this on work in New Zealand.  Lots of timbering both on the north island and the south island.  Most of it I believe is Douglas fir but someone from the west coast would be much more authoritative on the subject  ;).  Trucking is done almost exclusively on  a straight rig hauling a pup trailer.  Return trip (empty) the pup is loaded on the back of the truck.  Stakes on the truck fold down, on some units the pup stakes fold down also.  I don't see anything like this on the east coast US so I found it quite interesting.  Happened to see one trucker loading the pup onto the back of his rig at the port in Lyttleton.

I took a tourist tour in Rotorua on the north island and learned that they introduced a variety of species a number of years ago as an experiment and found that Douglas fir did quite well.  So most everything is now planted to that.  He said that they could grow a commercial tree in 25 years.

Interesting, I am on the forum at 3:59 am ET and there are still 2 members on, and 9 guests. 

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1168 on: September 25, 2006, 04:36:10 am »
I can't sleep either :D Those are interesting pics from NZ. We don't see truck and pup setups like that here. Pole trailers for hauling tree length are piggy backed like that though. Short logs are usually hauled on a single semi trailer or b-train.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #1169 on: September 25, 2006, 04:46:07 am »
Hi Maple

The logs you saw are likely to be Doug Fir, there is a fair bit of that grown here, especially in the South Island. But most of the plantations (90%) are Radiata pine. They will produce good (2-3ft+) dia sawlogs in around 25 years. The Doug fir takes a bit longer, although is a better construction timber.

The truckers haul the trailers piggyback mostly to reduce the road tax they have to pay. All the trucks and trailers have hub meters, so if the trailer ones aren't spinning on the return trip it saves them 25% off the tax.  ;)

They have also recently changed the regulations to allow longer traliers, allows them to carry 2 smalller bunks of logs at a reduced height. Makes the trailer more stable, there were a couple of messy crashes involving overturning trailers.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline mapleveneer

« Reply #1170 on: September 25, 2006, 04:52:46 am »
I met some of these trucks hauling logs on the north island last week.  If they didn't break the truck into two units it would never make it around the curves on the highways.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1171 on: September 25, 2006, 11:01:21 am »
Ian, charging tax by the mile or km on the truck AND trailer is a nasty concept. :o I hope our politicians don't catch onto that one. Here, the trailers are piggy backed to save fuel and time on the return trip and space while turning around at the logging site. The trailer also adds weight to the drivers for badly needed traction on our steep logging roads.
Interesting about the Douglas fir being grown in NZ. I expect the climate is similar to our west coast so it should do well.

Offline David_c

• treat people the way you want to be treated.
« Reply #1172 on: September 30, 2006, 12:14:26 am »
Few pics from job I am subbing on 1,300 acers.

Offline David_c

« Reply #1173 on: September 30, 2006, 12:20:45 am »
Couple more.

Offline David_c

« Reply #1174 on: September 30, 2006, 10:30:48 am »
Couple more.

Offline Rob

« Reply #1175 on: September 30, 2006, 04:33:30 pm »
Nice looking older Timbco there your working with David , Rolly II head ..I have always liked those processing heads . So who did you get hooked up with out there anyway ? CTL crew by the looks of it , it's not Jon is it ?

Well glad to see your busy working anyway that is always a plus :) Did you ever get rid of your 380 or you still have that also with your 518 ? I assume your hand cutting and yarding with your skidder on this job . Well hey keep intouch and keep the pictures coming . We just had a job in your home town to harvest in Richmond , we subbed it out not sure to whom though , too far for us to travel .

Later Rob

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #1176 on: September 30, 2006, 11:22:26 pm »
I love this thread  8) 8)

Offline David_c

« Reply #1177 on: October 01, 2006, 09:25:58 am »
Yea Rob I am subbing out to Jon. Still have the 380 :'( Yup all I do is cut and skid to where forwarder can come get it to bring to main landing. The forwarder I call the devourer. It just devours wood, 16 ton capacity.

Offline adirondack harvester

« Reply #1178 on: October 02, 2006, 01:37:18 pm »
Great pictures David!  Keep 'em coming.

Offline Rob

« Reply #1179 on: October 02, 2006, 06:04:32 pm »
Thats cool , see Jon upgraded his equipment line up , from the Bell and cat cable skidder to Timbco and forwarder... How does he like the CTL so far ? Chadwick & BaRoss are done with the Timberjack lineup since Deere takeover and was talking with one of the Mechanics the other week and now they are going to be the New England Ponsee dealer ... Dont know how it's gonna work for them as not many CTL guys here in Southern NH ..well yet anyway