The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Wood burning truck!  (Read 196594 times)

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
Re: Wood burning truck!
« Reply #520 on: April 01, 2013, 10:45:24 am »
I've had it awhile :)

eg  tregar  meste  p  Tulla, for  ho  var  krulla  i  ulla.

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #521 on: June 22, 2014, 09:13:53 pm »
It's been over a year since an update but we have been doing quite a bit with the truck.
Last year I took the truck to a couple local festivals and set the truck up on display with a couple posters that Jeff designed for me which shows quite well the inner workings of the gasifier and filter.

Here is the setup the night before.The idea was people could climb all over it and look into the top or under the hood

In October my grandkids came to visit us for a few days and they helped me and my daughters bag up the chunks and they got a ride for their efforts(ice cream later)

The truck ran really well and when I drove to the steam threshers show in Vernon on a friday night in September it was a good feeling driving there and back with no hiccups. I met up with FF member Magickmikey there and had a good visit on the Sunday afternoon.

Here is a vid I took.(turn the volume down if you don't like Bill Munroe)  ;)

That is Magikmikey at 0:15 secs with his arms crossed

I'll post a few more pics later of the problems I had this Spring and how we fixed it.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #522 on: June 22, 2014, 09:20:20 pm »
Like that video!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
« Reply #523 on: June 22, 2014, 10:37:03 pm »
Awesome vid Paul. Keep the pics and vids coming.
'64 Garrett 15A, JD AMT 626, Turbosawmill M6 Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: June 23, 2014, 12:07:21 am »
Thank you!

I mentioned problems with the truck this spring and it turned out to be so simple that I missed it but it all worked out for the better as it forced me to make a change that I have wanted to do for a few years.

To prevent bridging I used a steel rod to poke down through the wood chunks into the hearth zone  and one time must have got carried away and broke the welds where the two cast iron pans that formed the hearth were welded together.

The hearth can be seen in the bottom of this diagram Jeff made

Here is the old style from the side and again from the bottom with the SS grate. The cast iron hearth has the restriction(5") and the bottom pan serves as the reduction zone where the tars are cracked and the wood is chemically reduced to CO and H. The old style had too short of a zone so I wanted to add length like Ron Lemler did in his truck.

The ring welded around the hearthforms a lip to seal the hearth in the bottom at a certain distance from the nozzle ring.

With all that change,I still could not make proper gas and the system backfired and puffed and quit on me 3 miles from home and I had to switch over to gasoline to get home.I wasn't a happy camper.

One thing I had noticed was the air inlet to the nozzles hadn't been drawing like it used to and I had wondered if there were plugged pipes or some other restriction.Some earnest prayer led me to a very simple solution.

The spring loaded lid is sealed with a stove gasket and hi temp silicone but it had hardened over time and lost it's seal,allowing air to enter in through the lid but no prperly through the nozzle ring in the oxidization zone.
A good wire brushing and a new seal fixed everything.

My next drives after that were better than it had ever been and I beat my old speed records for the route I usually take up the mountain road and through Deep Creek valley.On the home stretch I found that we were gaining on the cars ahead of us  8)

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #525 on: June 23, 2014, 12:27:05 am »
Today was a good day to have off.
We started out heading down to Armstrong where my daughter rode in a 4H fun day with her horse.It was fun to watch and I got to eat one of the burgers that were smelling so good in the stands.

The little VW in the background is our little bomb around vehicle in the summer.Almost a 1/4 the fuel of my chev PU and fun to drive and cool off in after a long hot day.

I had to leave early to meet Magicmikey who came over from Kamloops an hour and a half away to deliver some feed for my truck.Mike built a firewood processor and phoned me one day and asked what length of chunks I prefered.(2-3")
Mike arrived with his BIL Bob in his 1972 Ford truck with a Cummins diesel and a dump box filled with Fir cookies ready to chunk and bag for the woodgas truck.

Mike has been a good friend and a help with my truck and a welcome visitor at our saw shop. Thanks Mike!

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #526 on: June 23, 2014, 07:18:36 am »
Awesome.  You are very talented.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #527 on: June 23, 2014, 12:06:40 pm »
Well done, Paul!
Bill Munroe lived just up the road apiece.  Pickers still gather at his old place on an annual basis to pick and grin. :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #528 on: June 23, 2014, 02:42:17 pm »
Danny,
more persistence and passion for woodgas than anything. :)

Robert,

Are you still running the bio diesel?

Offline ellmoe

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #529 on: June 23, 2014, 10:20:45 pm »
    Watched the "Mountain Man" show on the History Channel tonight. Eustace, in N.C. (?), was operating his circle mill and then decided he needed to build a gasifier for his truck. Seems like this episode was geared to The Forestry Forum membership!
Mark
Mark, Wildlife Biologist (in my previous life), now 2 HD40E25's, Weining Promat, Koetter Kilns (2), Sore back and arthritic fingers!

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #530 on: June 24, 2014, 09:26:58 am »
Ellmoe,
Wayne Keith and a couple other woodgassers were approached by the producers of the show to build a woodgas system for the show but they didn't like what they saw and felt it would be portrayed as hokey and dangerous and so they declined.

To start and drive a woodgas vehicle should be straight forward and low risk.

1. Start fan and light
2. Wait for temps to get up
3. Start and drive

While driving there is absolutely no visable smoke and the exhaust smells of wood but not smoke(no gasoline smell) Once the engine is shutoff there is visible smoke from the lid for a minute and then nothing.
A proper system has reliefs built into the lids to take the energy away from a potential explosion.Mine has one on the gasifier and another on the filter tank.

Straight forward and low risk makes for boring TV  :D

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #531 on: June 24, 2014, 11:34:46 pm »
A video of FF member Ron57. Ron built the truck shown here in the vid and also a woodgass powered tractor.

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #532 on: June 30, 2014, 12:20:49 pm »
Paul, sorry for the tardy response.
Yes, I am still doing the bio diesel thing.  We use about 3000 gallons a year fueling my 2005 F350, Linnea's 2007 LWB Sprinter, a JD4520 tractor, heating the workshop and back up for the OWB that heats Linnea's greenhouse. 
One With Wood
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
« Reply #533 on: June 30, 2014, 10:24:24 pm »
 thats alot of peanut oil,  :)

How much do you do in a year?  Any issues getting the used oil? I remember reading about your making of, have you changed anything on it since?
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #534 on: July 01, 2014, 12:35:42 pm »
Collect my canola oil from a few restaurants in Bloomington.
I average about 3000 gallons processed a year.
Haven't changed anything in the process for a number of years.  Still producing high quality fuel, so why mess with a good thing? :)
One With Wood
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
« Reply #535 on: July 01, 2014, 01:07:54 pm »
 That is a pretty good savings when all said and done.  :)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #536 on: July 03, 2014, 11:03:22 am »
That is pretty impressive OWW! How big of a batch are you set up to process at a time? Do you you make your own Lye and alcohol for your process as well?
'64 Garrett 15A, JD AMT 626, Turbosawmill M6 Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #537 on: July 03, 2014, 12:05:43 pm »
I process 50 gallons per batch.  Each batch takes 48 hours total time, but only about 30 min of hands on time.  I purchase potassium hydroxide flake for the lye.  The KOH is dissolved in methanol that I purchase.  I do a 2 stage process using sulfuric acid and methanol in the first stage and the KOH and methanol in the second.  Average cost per gallon processed is 86 cents.
One With Wood
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #538 on: July 03, 2014, 10:26:50 pm »
That is very cool. A question for PaulH. Have you seen his report?

http://web.ornl.gov/info/reports/1989/3445602994393.pdf

It is pretty cool.  I am going to start building a gassifier to tinker with, and get the hang of. We have tons of biomass on our tree farm that we can use for an endless supply of fuel. Your pcs and posts are inspiring me to get off my perverbial bahouckey and get it done.

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #539 on: July 03, 2014, 11:32:38 pm »
Hi Murdock,

I can't open the link,I tried going in to their main menu and finding it but couldn't. I sure hope you start cutting steel and building a woodgas system and post about it when you do.

Robert,
I didn't realise you made that much fuel!