The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Wood burning truck!  (Read 196621 times)

Anderson and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ron57

Re: Wood burning truck!
« Reply #480 on: May 22, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »
Hi Jeff, Paul and forum group,Last weekend was the woodgas meeting at the Marshall Co. Fairgrounds and it was a blast there was a large turn out both experienced woodgassers and thoes looking to build and experiment with it.People came all the way from TX to Maine. Five wood powered vehicles, a tractor, riding mower, smokeless charcoal maker a charcoal gas generator producing electric and one that would run a vechcle, a gasifier boiler for heat and a couple camping stoves for cooking.
  A lot of experienced woodgas veterans, Wayne Keith, Mike LaRosa,Rick Bates, Jeff Davis,Gary Gilmore,Jim Hart, and many more new builder that are mastering the science to run engins successfully.
 Here is a link to the drive on wood web site there are a lot of pic there already and more coming in.
http://driveonwood.com/forum/80?page=1#comment-1954
 Thanks and keep on burning wood, Ron L

Offline Ron57

« Reply #481 on: May 22, 2012, 04:59:09 pm »

I pulled this tractor 20mi to the fairgrounds and home on wood

Offline biker250

• Constantly learning
« Reply #482 on: May 22, 2012, 08:25:15 pm »
Well, I had to see it to believe it.  I attended the get together at the fairgrounds last weekend, and I'm here as a witness that it is real and it really works.  I even got to take a spin in that old red Ford in the above picture and if you were wearing a blindfold, you would've never guessed that the truck wasn't running on gasoline.  It sounds the same, drives the same, accelerates almost the same, etc.  It is almost unbelievable, but these guys really got it pretty well figered out and now I can't wait to get started on my own system.  Thanks Ron for a great event, it was great to meet you & other woodgassers.
Self-reliance is the only road to true freedom

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #483 on: May 24, 2012, 10:40:41 am »
Welcome biker250  :)

Great pics of the event Ron,thanks for the link and the report,it's good to see the club is increasing.
eg  tregar  meste  p  Tulla, for  ho  var  krulla  i  ulla.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #484 on: May 24, 2012, 05:40:26 pm »
Ron, that looks like a good time with fellow wood gasers.  8) I'm interested in seeing such things, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do any such project. This going to be an annual show/gathering?  :)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Ron57

« Reply #485 on: May 24, 2012, 07:11:14 pm »
  Hi Swamp Donky;I believe this is going to be an annual meeting, they have already had meetings for the last three years but not on this scale.Last year it was near Pittsburg Kansas ,If the group wants I will be glad to host it here again next year they have talked about southern In or KY also for the people down south.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #486 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:32 pm »
Well, being as your probably a small group, it's nice to move around the country so others get to join in the action or see things.  ;D

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Avast! Here appeareth some sweetgummery about....
« Reply #487 on: June 21, 2012, 11:03:17 pm »
Hmm-- a wood-burning sawmill might be in order.

:P
 :o

Or would that be perpetual motion?  ???
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Turbosawmill 8" cut GX390 Warrior Sawmill, 13hp Honda
MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #488 on: August 30, 2012, 10:36:46 pm »
We went down to Pemberton a couple weeks ago and had a visit with the friends that are storing my woodgas truck.I was a little concerned that the gasifier might have rust issues but it looks good and it's been on my mind to get it over here so I can putter on it and smell that unique woodgas aroma.

I got an email a few days ago from a fellow named Jared in South Dakota that I had talked to a couple years ago.He is working on a  woodgas truck and is making a good job of it.
Here is part of the email and he gave me permission to share his pics as well.
It's encouraging to see guys building and tinkering.

Hi Paul,
I guess it's been a couple years since I emailed you about the MEN wood gas truck that you built and I would like to build.  I'm still working on mine down here in South Dakota but it's been hard to find the time to do it.  I just finished modifying the carburetor and once my job at the railroad ends in September, maybe I can take a month and finish welding the last of it.

Are you still driving your truck?  Gas prices are starting to jump again down here. 

Anyways, I'm wondering how you dealt (or did not deal) with spark advance control that the MEN plan briefly mentions?  The distributor that the MEN plan talks about belongs to a Chevy but the truck I'm using is a 1978 Ford F150 and I believe yours is a similar model. 

Thanks,
Jared Rittberger

Here are Jared's pics

The first shows the inside of the gasifier with the air tubes that run down to the tuyeres.On top of the gasifier you can see his modified carb ready to install on the engine.

Jared has made flanges to give him better access to the hearth and tuyeres which is a great idea because sooner or later you need to do maintenance.

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
« Reply #489 on: September 01, 2012, 10:01:20 am »
 Those are some of the things I wish I could find time for, list is just sooooo long  :-\  but said list is always interesting at some point. I think the worst part of it all is that I have too many points of interest and just tooooo many things I want to do. Priorotising is the issue  ::) :)  It's a good thing though, as I never get bored  teeter_totter
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #490 on: September 01, 2012, 12:35:25 pm »
I agree Marcel,priorities.
The shop has been my full time project 65 hours a week and I don't dare stray too far off track until we accomplish our goals for the place.I did take a unrestored 1929 Model A roadster for a test drive a month ago and the price was a good one but after mulling on it awhile,decided to keep focused. ;)

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
« Reply #491 on: September 02, 2012, 09:46:10 pm »
  :) BIL has a '27 Star sitting in boxes and rolling chassis that could be an addition to my todo list, but the list is sooooo long that I just can't seam to find the light of day that would bring me close to the Star.....  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #492 on: September 28, 2012, 11:11:26 pm »
A friend and I left here at 5:30 the other morning and went to Pemberton to pick up the woodgas truck.10 miles down the road,the spring in the trailer latch broke and the trailer jumped off the hitch,tripped the brakes and the safety chains did their job.(rented trailer)
We hooked it back up and used black tape and zap straps to hold the latch and continued on the 5 hour trip.
When we got to Pemberton,the truck wouldn't start because the battery is shot.We dragged the truck backwards but the left rear wheel was locked.As I was dragging the woodgas truck with my Chev,a stick jillpoked and tore the inner plastic fender off my front driver side and another bent the exhaust. ???
I was feeling like a 14 year old that got his dad's truck stuck and wondered if we were going to get home the same day.
We dragged the truck down to the trailer but on the sidehill,the locked wheel put us off lead to the trailer.We hooked the winch to the truck and it sparked but wouldn't pull.Got out the come-alongs and had to use a purchase and got only three feet at a time before re rigging.
Finally got it on and secured,then used gear clamps to hold the hitch and headed back home around 4pm.Stopped for gas on the other side of the mountain pass(14% in places) and a couple guys told us the right rear trailer wheel was flat and they offered to phone Cal Tire and have them wait for us.$180.00 later we had a new tire and drove on toward home.

I pulled in the driveway at 10:30,parked the truck,had a quick visit with my wife and I headed of to bed- quite tired.
The truck is finally here and I look forward to firing it up again and smell the crosote smell of woodgas again!

Here  is a cool old Swedish documentary on woodgas production and usage in 1942

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
« Reply #493 on: September 29, 2012, 05:09:09 am »
That was a cool video! Glad you made it home with everything in one piece. Will be great to hear of your progress and updates with the truck.
'64 Garrett 15A, JD AMT 626, Turbosawmill M6 Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #494 on: September 29, 2012, 05:24:55 am »
That's quite a journey home. Should have took one of the kids along, something to talk about and be reminded of for some time. ;D :)

Dirty Harry

Offline magicmikey

« Reply #495 on: October 07, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »
  Paul, this is the last week to get the gasser shined up for the show. :-X
mike

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #496 on: October 08, 2012, 08:58:09 am »
Hi Mike,
I plan to go to the show next week but not with the woodgas truck  ;)
There is an 87 Ford F150 with a 300 six I've been looking at but it is fuel inject and I would have preferred a carb. I still may see about buying it and swapping over.

Offline Ron57

« Reply #497 on: October 12, 2012, 02:17:55 am »
  Hi Paul,
 I am glad to see you got your truck back all right.My truck has the 300cid 6 cylinder and it runs good but is pretty wimpy pulling a trailer.Your gasifier should switch over well. I run 2500rpms at 60mph and my sizing is pretty close to yours.The best thing is all of the room under the hood to work with.

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #498 on: January 01, 2013, 07:09:34 pm »
As the season slowed down there has been more time to work on the woodgas truck.I found a 1982 F100 with a 300 6 cyl and got a steel bush box cheap and cut the sides off to make a flatbed. I didn't like how high the gasifier sat on the old truck and I wanted it side mounted like I had seen in pics from the 1940's so this was a good opportunity.
Instead of the liquid coolant style cooler,this truck will have a cooling rack which will cool the gas and serve as sides for the flat bed.

Offline Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #499 on: January 01, 2013, 07:11:17 pm »
Nice.  :)

Oh it would be wonderful to have a shop. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.