The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Wood burning truck!  (Read 196588 times)

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Avast! Here appeareth some sweetgummery about....
Re: Wood burning truck!
« Reply #460 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:04 am »
Wood gas is becoming more mainstream. I have met a man here in South Carolina who has built a wood gas truck and a wood gas generator.

By the way, for those who would like to read something that included the use of wood gas burners in the WWII era, I read a book a while back called "China Changed My Mind"  I can't remember the author's name, but he was an English Conscientious Objector who joined the Quaker's ambulance service and was sent to China, and there he operated trucks over the Burma Road and other roadways there in that area, hauling medical supplies. He does not go into many technical details about how the wood gasification works, but it was a fascinating read about a little-known part of the second world war, and the hardships the truck drivers faced.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Turbosawmill 8" cut GX390 Warrior Sawmill, 13hp Honda
MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #461 on: March 19, 2012, 12:16:23 pm »
Thanks for the video, Paul.  Sometime in the near future I will be running some t&g for ceiling and wall paneling.  Unfortunately I will be running on a router table and probably not having near as much productivity.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #462 on: March 20, 2012, 08:59:03 am »
Guys I must read this thread from the beginning.Quickie question with a truck what do you do for A sticker emission test, I know in my anal state it would hit tilt. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline sawdust

• Dream Dovetail Co.
« Reply #463 on: March 20, 2012, 10:44:34 am »
I bet you could test it for NOX and get zero  8)
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #464 on: March 20, 2012, 11:42:18 am »
Guys I must read this thread from the beginning.Quickie question with a truck what do you do for A sticker emission test, I know in my anal state it would hit tilt. Frank C.

Frank,

I copied this from Wiki on Woodgas

Against general belief, exhaust gas emission from an internal combustion engine is significantly lower on wood gas than on petrol.[6] Especially the HC emissions are low on wood gas.[7] A normal catalytic converter works well with wood gas, but even without it, emission levels less than 20 ppm HC and 0.2% CO can be easily achieved by most automobile engines. Combustion of wood gas generates no particulates, and the gas renders thus very little carbon black amongst motor oil.[8]

eg  tregar  meste  på  Tulla, for  ho  var  krulla  i  ulla.

Offline biker250

• Constantly learning
« Reply #465 on: April 17, 2012, 03:29:07 pm »
Well, I just read every post in this thread......my eyes are dry, but my brain is bulging with info and anxious to try this out for myself.  Ron, I live in southern Indiana, a good trip from your place, but neat to see other Hoosiers trying this out.

Paul, awesome work.  Thanks for sharing all the details.
Self-reliance is the only road to true freedom

Offline Ron57

« Reply #466 on: April 17, 2012, 04:40:21 pm »
 Hi biker 250,  Indiana hardwoods make the best truck fuel I am biased of course.
  May 18,19-20 at the Marshall Co. fairgrounds in Argos IN there will be a meeting of woodgassers from around the Midwest. Wayne Keith from Alabama is coming, he holds the world woodgas speed record, and so far about 30 others are coming,most of which are driving a vehicle or bringing some sort of woodgas demonstration.
  Any one driving in on woodgas will be provided wood for fuel to drive home on, it will be an interesting meeting.
 Paul you have been wanting to get your truck going again this will be a good opportunity!!

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #467 on: April 17, 2012, 04:44:54 pm »
I won't make it Ron but please take a lot of pictures  8)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #468 on: April 17, 2012, 05:12:36 pm »
Ron
Is the trailer loaded with your "fuel" for the trip?
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #469 on: April 17, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »
It's either that or he is smuggling some kind of contraband...
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #470 on: April 17, 2012, 10:22:41 pm »
Wayne Keith and his Wood burning trucks are featured in the newest issue (issue 251) of Mother Earth News.  He mentions having saved 40,000 dollars worth of gas by converting his trucks to wood gasification since 2004.
Lane Circle Mill

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #471 on: April 18, 2012, 08:37:53 am »
Wayne Keith and his Wood burning trucks are featured in the newest issue (issue 251) of Mother Earth News.  He mentions having saved 40,000 dollars worth of gas by converting his trucks to wood gasification since 2004.

But how many dollars of gas or electricity to cut all the wood? Maybe none if he did it by hand....

MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
« Reply #472 on: April 18, 2012, 10:28:53 am »
The Mother Earth news thing ,way back .They used a Pontiac Tempest 6 cylinder engine with producer gas to run a generater .Captured the heat from the exhaust to heat water etc .

Typical Mother earth news stuff they didn't get into any details on how it pretty much turned the engine into junk in a short period of time or the fact it only produced at best 40 horse power if that much .Unlike Paul Harvey they often left out the entire or "rest of the story " .Eventualy because they were more interested in selling plans on the side most people as did myself got rather annoyed  reading 40 pages of ads and 10 pages of usefull information . They started out good but ended less than IMO .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #473 on: April 18, 2012, 10:39:14 am »
Another thing those wizards did was make a hybrid auto from a Chevy Chevette .Used a starter motor from I think a B29 ,a bunch of deep cell batteries and an Onan pancake 18 HP engine with a generater .

Sounds like a plan but the rest of that story .1974 Chevette at 2 grand ,about that much in batteries plus the Onan and just where does one find a starter motor from a B29 .It isn't like you can just trot off to the local junk yard and round one up .

Yeah so it got 60 MPG if that ,would at best run 65 MPH going down hill .You've got 7 grand in it plus a year to round up the parts and put it together .All along a '78 Chevette got 35-40 MPG and cost 4500 bucks and gas was 65 cents a gallon .

So just what did all that prove ,nothing in practicality other than something to do for those with time on their hands and a lot of money .

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #474 on: April 18, 2012, 11:08:41 am »

But how many dollars of gas or electricity to cut all the wood? Maybe none if he did it by hand....

He uses a cutter built from a old rear axle out of a 5 ton truck powered by woodgas,of course.Works slick as snot.

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #475 on: April 18, 2012, 11:51:56 am »
If you think of a big juicy steak,you know it has many calories in it and doesnt take anywhere near that energy to cut it up with a knife,it's the same thing with a log.
I know I only used a small portion of a gallon to slice up this log in the video but drove many miles with the wood cut from this Alder.

*the mill is set here with the double edgers to cut 2 pieces of 2x2's in a pass.There is a 3rd edger that would allow for 3.

I sure don't have any illusions about woodgas replacing gasoline but it is as satisfying to build your own system and it's along the lines of growing your own veggies even though they might be half the price at the grocery store.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »
Slick deal .There is a local yokel who had something about like that .Used a VW engine with a rope starter .

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2012, 12:37:35 pm »
Al,
I was sorry to leave it when we moved here but the buyer wanted the mill and the kiln and was willing to pay.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2012, 01:02:16 pm »
Those type mills are neat .Not something you see too often though .Fact I've only seen one in action which is the local guy .

He had the little mill with two blades and a big old Frick with a big diesel .I'm not even certain if he's still in the lumber biz these days .

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2012, 09:13:15 pm »
Please don't understand me wrongly. I am completely in favor of everyone who wishes to do so, building gassifying equipment and using it. There could very well come a time when petro-fuels are far more expensive than they are now, or even impossible to obtain. The more people running on wood gas and other self-sustaining sources of energy the better. Because, as you have aptly proven, it is not at all easy to set one of these things up, and it takes time and resources to build them. If we come to a time of crisis, those of us who are not tinkering with them now, will not be able to cobble one up after the fact. Therefore, the more people doing it now, the better.

MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber