The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Wood burning truck!  (Read 196613 times)

Offline marc_b

Re: Wood burning truck!
« Reply #340 on: September 06, 2008, 09:59:55 pm »
hi gang

this is my small gasifier unit kit
it is build to mount on the left of my old mf 65 tractor
betwen the wheel and close to left of the engine

I have a eccess of tar in my final gas .

it is work about 4 hour with a one bag of a wood stove perlet.

is under construction project.

this is a over view of my gasifier

this is a open to and easy loding

this is a cyclone and shaking handle 

this is my radiator

it is my first prototype

but I have a tar probleme in this system.
the tar pass trought the filter and go to  the engine
it is not good for the engine :)

merci

marc

Offline marc_b

« Reply #341 on: September 06, 2008, 10:05:27 pm »
ok merci paul for the vedbil.se link
I read this a lot of time it is very interesting and very
good project builder.

you see my gasifier and my cyclone radiator but the last picture is a
box for make a saw dust filter but it is not instaled in her final place.

the filter is not fontional the tar pass throught ..

merci

marc

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #342 on: September 07, 2008, 07:23:15 am »
marc_b,just so others will know too.Make a "link" to your pictures by clicking on to your profile.Click on to Forum Profile Information.This will make a link so people can look at your gallery.When you post more than one picture in a post hit the enter key a couple times.This will leave some white space between your pictures.Good job on the picture postings.Welcome to the forum too.Glad you can build something like this.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline marc_b

« Reply #343 on: September 12, 2008, 08:51:40 pm »
I am in a case study about my wood gas burner

I am think it is posible to modify my down draft burner

to a down draft burner throated tar cracking

and new air inlet whitout a major midification of my condensed

desing and after this modification a use the same wood

and the same condition  for see

the difference between the two system.

i return to you paul whit my result

marc_b

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: December 23, 2008, 10:29:40 pm »
It's been awhile since an update and there have been a few minor changes made to the truck.This update was brought on because of a few emails and a phone call from a man named Ron in Indiana,who is also building a MEN style gasifier.It's great to hear from people like Ron because it encourages me to get back to work on the truck.
His questions about hearth and nozzle sizes caused me to have to think again and do a little math and when I got stumped,I sent a IM to Farmerdoug and he checked my calculations to make sure I wasn't too far out to lunch.

One of the changes made to the woodgas truck back in the Summer was the addition of a secondary fan under the hood.I went with the second fan because I wanted a more powerfull fan to draw the gas through the cooler and filter,right up to the carburator so I could eliminate the need for gasoline to start the engine.

This fan was a combustion air blower from a furnace that had a squirrell cage in it and I mounted it to the fender well and plumbed it to the final woodgas filter housing with a length of 2" ribbed suction hose with camlock couplers and a shut off valve.

From the fan,the gas is piped out in front of the radiator and out at the driver's side of the front bumper.I get a little guarded with the gas that comes out of the pipe here because it's cooled and filtered and hard to see but it's deadly carbon monoxide and I'm told it can sneak up on a person.

The fan is powered by this cheap little $40 cdn inverter hooked up to the battery.I took the time to properly mount the inverter and wires to prevent arcs and sparks.It doesn't show in the pic here but there are proper terminals :)

The switches in the cab run the front and rear blower.

eg  tregar  meste  på  Tulla, for  ho  var  krulla  i  ulla.

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #345 on: December 23, 2008, 10:59:32 pm »
Starting the engine using only woodgas was difficult with the squirrel cage fan because it wouldn't draw enough to make much gas.The engine would start right away but it would "run out of gas" before the engine could draw enough to keep it moving.
That is the way it is with woodgas,if you idle for a long period of time(5-10 minutes) the gasifier "produces" less gas so if I tried to put the truck into gear and take off in a hurry,the truck would be sluggish to start off with but would steadily catch up and the gas would be available for better acceleration.

I looked around for a better fan but couldn't source one online or in any supply catalogues here so the next time we were in the city,I stopped in a vacuum repair store and found a impeller that was the right size.
The fan is backward to the rotation of the fan motor(CW) but it was better.The squirrel cage was removed and the impeller was pressed on.

Although the impeller improved things,it was still took awhile to start the engine so the impeller was removed and I cut some extensions for the fins out of a clear plastic recipe book holder that I didn't think Carla really needed ;D

It was finicky cutting and attaching the fins with epoxy but it was finally done so it was put back together and tested.There was a little noise because a couple fins were sitting proud so I grabbed a bastard file and attempted to remove some material,lathe fashion while the fan spun.
There were bits of busted plastic flying everywhere and 3 fins were ripped off and spat out the blower :D
Had to make and glue up some more fins and try again.

It works much better but there is still a lot of room for improvement.A blower the style of a shopvac or leaf blower would probably work well but the little 400w inverter won't cooperate.
What the stronger fan would do is produce good gas in larger quantities in a shorter time.Right now it takes around 15-20 minutes from lighting the gasifier to starting the engine and driving.The Swedes with their WWII 6 or 12 VDC blowers are able to light and start in 5 minutes.

Anybody have suggestions for a good 12 volt blower? Automobile heater blowers with the squirrel cage fans don't draw enough.

Offline sawdust

• Dream Dovetail Co.
« Reply #346 on: December 23, 2008, 11:18:25 pm »
this is a WAG. How much air does one of those emission control air pumps move?
Might work?
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #347 on: December 23, 2008, 11:50:24 pm »
Maybe somebody here will know.It's worth looking into maybe?

Lighting the gasifier.

Offline Ron57

« Reply #348 on: December 31, 2008, 09:00:14 am »
Hi Everyone  I have started building a wood gas generator the same style as Pauls, thanks for the help. There are a few differences I would like to post a few pics as soon as I figure out how. Still in the 20th century, But not to old to learn a little more I hope. Ha Ha! I need to ask my 9 year old how to do it  ;D

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: December 31, 2008, 02:48:17 pm »
Hi Ron,

welcome to the FF,glad you made it here. :)

Have you done anymore work on the woodgas generator since we spoke a week or so back?
Here is a link to posting here on the FF.

Link

Paul

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #350 on: December 31, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »
This here has always been a great thread. Too bad I'm on dial-up.  But, I'm sure we have room for one more wood gas generator. ;D Sure beats all the water vapor in the "weather" thread. :D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Ron57

« Reply #351 on: January 01, 2009, 05:37:31 pm »
Hi The wood gas generator is coming along pretty good,we ran into some problems though. My next one will go twice as fast. The unit ended up over five foot tall thats a foot taller than I was hoping it to end up,but not to bad being the first thing I ever built.We put flanges connecting the upper and lower tanks thats a good idea, but didnt know how towork in the ignition port probbably just weld it into make an air tight seal between the tanks. We also poured 1 1/2 inches of refractory lining in side the fuel tank about 1 1/2 foot up from thje bottom. Next Ineed to build the condensate tank and lid. Have a good day!!

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: January 02, 2009, 09:10:57 pm »
Ron,

I used an existing threaded 1" hole that was in the tank for my ignition port and it happened to be at the level of the nozzles,so all that was needed was a corresponding hole in the outer tank to fit the 1" nipple through.
I'm really interested in seeing the refractory lining,I think it will work better than the stainless liner in mine.

Offline Ron57

« Reply #353 on: January 04, 2009, 11:43:03 am »

Paul,
Here are some pics of inside steps of my generator so far. Including the refractory lining. I used galvanized sheet metal for the mold, as you can see it moved a little, but it should still do the job. It also added 50# to the weight. Hopefully it pays back with clean gas.
Ron

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
« Reply #354 on: January 04, 2009, 12:40:25 pm »

Just read an article, where, some guys are looking into burning LARGE wood Pellets in their gasifiers ???  Might be a new marketing possibility.  8) ;D ;D ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline Ron57

« Reply #355 on: January 04, 2009, 02:16:15 pm »
We have a couple of large pellet mills start up in our area in the last couple years ,along with alot of grade sawmills closing up. Making a shortage of wood fibre for bedding, so the price of sawdust and chips is worth the handling. Here we use most of our fine sawdust for fuel to fire a kiln to heat treat pallets it works pretty good. not as fast and easy as propane but a lot cheeeeper.

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #356 on: January 05, 2009, 05:54:32 pm »
Paul,

Might be a dumb question because i do not understand how much heat, and how sustained it needs to be to start the gasifier, but couldn't you install a 12v igniter on your tank so you don't have to cram paper in it? Those things are cheap. Another possibility would be a push button igniter like you can buy at a welding shop. Those onlygive a brief spark so it might not work in your application. But the 12v igniter would glow red hot as long as you needed. It could be manual or you could install a timed one. ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Offline Ron57

« Reply #357 on: January 07, 2009, 12:04:10 pm »
  Got the flaring fan in yesterday ,thinking about test running the unit without the filter just to see what happens 8). What is the best size fuel to run from your experience and moisture content? Since I dont have any charred wood to start with can I use charcoal briquettsin the grate to get things started? Almost ready to go!!

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #358 on: January 07, 2009, 12:59:53 pm »
Ron,

you can't use charcoal briquettes but you can buy a bag of the real charcoal and that will work fine.Beginning with a layer of charcoal up past the nozzles is very important,otherwise you will make a huge blob of tar that will ruin your engine :-X

On top of the charcoal you should put a few inches of domino sized wood chunks followed by the normal sized chunks which are 2x2x3" or smaller.I try to keep my chunks at 1.5 x2x 2 if I can but it's all by eye anyway.
The book that came with your plans should tell you the proper way but don't scrimp on the charcoal or it'll ruin your day.

This link has some good procedures for lighting the first time.

Link

After lighting your gasifier,keep the fan going and let it smoke unit you can smell a distinct creosote smell and then hold a flame up to it and you should see the smoke disappear and notice heat waves.Allow it time to get up to temperature to make clean gas before running your engine.

Are you doing all this outside?

Kevin,

I'll get back to you regarding the electric igniter.I have no experience with them but Vesa Mikkonen's book shows them,I just need to dig it out.

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: January 07, 2009, 06:27:52 pm »
Kevin,

I found Vesa's book this afternoon and read up about the igniters he has used.
One is simply a wire loop(he says acid proof,I think he means SS ) as a electric element at the nozzle level and the fuel delivery is a squeeze bulb from a outboard motor that sprays a mixture of white gas and turpentine over the heated coil.The turpentine is used to make the white gas a little less volitile.

The other is a pipe near the nozzles that delivers propane.He also metions a deisel cylinder glow plug as a suitable igniter.

Harold,

there are a few people trying regular woodpellets in gasifiers and it sounds like they make gas well enough but there has been problems with moisture in the gasifier after shutdown which turns the pellets to mush and causes problems in relighting.
There are some woodgas guys that share their info openly and there are others that share a bit but omit key info,sort of like the spitefull mother inlaw that gives the recipe for her son's favourite meal to her new daughter inlaw but leaves out a crucial ingredient so it never quite works right for the new wife.
And then there are a couple with extra large egos that lob shots at each other and can't seem to realise some cooperation and glory sharing might help themselves and others.

All in all,the goal seems to be a fuel in pellet or chip form that will make auto feeding viable.