The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: emerald ash borer  (Read 26923 times)

Online Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • THEE Forestry Forum
Re: emerald ash borer
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2005, 03:23:23 pm »
Furby, I really think that the lack of forth coming information is irrelevant.  Its like tracking a deer. You are looking at things that occurred in the past, but only gaining the knowledge as you find each track or hair.  Truth is, the deer passed through the day before, and there is nothing you can do to stop that.

Those infested areas that are cropping up now were probably infested before we knew there was a problem ANY where. :-\

Let us hope the things we are doing now will hopefully slow the spread so perhaps science can catch up.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2005, 03:30:33 pm »
I hope someone's working on a new variety of ash that doesn't appeal to the EAB's taste ::) ;) that can be used in the future to restore ash to our forests.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline estiers

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2005, 03:57:12 pm »
Thank you Jeff for your deer analogy. It is a very good illustration of what has happened.

For those of you who haven't noticed, the majority of my posts occur in this particular folder of the Forum.  That is because I work as  PPQ Officer for the USDA's side of the Emerald Ash Borer project.  Many of the questions that have been raised in the last several posts have been relevant questions which deserve answers.  Unfortunately it would take me ages to answer each one here, especially since a lot of the answer depends on where the wood is, where it is going, and how it will be processed wither before or after shipment.  As it is my job to regulate the Emerald Ash Borer and any product that may potentially spread it, I feel a duty to answer these questions.  Feel free to ask specific questions here, or through personal messages to me through this forum.  Believe me, I understand your frustration when it comes to these questions, and I will do everything I can to attempt to clear the muddy waters, at least a little.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2005, 09:11:42 pm »
While you are right to a point Jeff, I feel it's the still the same now. 95% of the people I have talked to outside of forum members and the like, know nothing about the EAB. The few that know anything, only know the 5 second blurb that they saw on the news, and really still know nothing. I don't feel there is yet enough info being put out there.

I do agree with the the new outbreaks being infested a long time back, but that's the point. Why do we allow movement of Ash in areas NOT under quarantine? We don't know where all the infested areas are and are possibly spreading it. We need to step back for a bigger picture, then move back in for the kill.

Offline Shotgun

• Forester
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2005, 09:28:27 pm »
Furby,

I think you might be suffering from some unreasonable expectations concerning dealing with a pest of this nature. There are many limitations  that confront the program you may not be aware of.  I suggest that you use the EAB hotline (866-325-0023) or the e-mail contact point at http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1568_2390_18298-87549--,00.html.  Ask your questions there.  Also there's lots of info on the Michigan and U.S. Departments of Agriculture, and the MSU sites. Since you have questions, I suggest that you contact the proper agencies and get them answered.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2005, 09:57:37 pm »
Furby, this is a good place to input some ideas if you think you have some that could be effective.

This is a tough row ta hoe for everyone. Furby, yer giving mankind way to much credit though, the job of controling nature is one thing that I still think the good Lord keeps out of our hands and for good reason.

Offline Paschale

• Senior Member x2
  • Got bit by some snow snakes...
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2005, 10:07:05 pm »
I hope someone's working on a new variety of ash that doesn't appeal to the EAB's taste ::) ;) that can be used in the future to restore ash to our forests.

What I've heard, is that roughly 1% of ash trees for some reason don't attract the pest, or somehow the trees are immune to it.  The hope is that future forests could be generated from this gene pool.  I believe I've heard the same thing regarding the beech trees that are dying in Canada and the U.P., that 1% of native trees are immune.  Has anyone else heard this, or is it just a rumor?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2005, 11:27:31 pm »
This is a tough row ta hoe for everyone. Furby, yer giving mankind way to much credit though, the job of controling nature is one thing that I still think the good Lord keeps out of our hands and for good reason.

EXACTLY!
I have NO faith in mankind anymore, and I'm not talking about controling nature. I highly doubt "nature" brought this bug to the states. Maybe it did, but I doubt it. And I highly doubt that "nature" spread it to the UP, but maybe. As you said else where, the straights of mackinaw are a perfect barrier.
It is mankind that we should be controlling. We could at the very least slow things. As it is, there is no reason for a quarantine, at least not in it's present locations. We don't know where all the infested areas are, yet we allow transportation of Ash in and out of areas that may be infested and are not under quarantine.

Shotgun,
I mean no disrespect by this, as I truly value your opions, but we are talking about the possible loss of up to 1 BILLION ash trees in the state of Michigan alone. My having "unreasonable expectations" that the state and federal agencies could have and still should be doing more, sounds like a joke to you? I understand things are being done, I'm not saying they are not. I belive more could be done to educate the public as they ARE, THE major means for the spread of this thing! The couple of seconds air time on SOME news channels, the once in a while artical in the paper, the websites that are slowly popping up, are not doing it fast enough. The state published brocures with a small amount of info, and sent them to places for poeple to "find" IF those people even knew about the EAB problem. Couldn't they send one to each mailbox instead?
We live in an era of instant communication, yet we can't find a way to get the word out about a major problem?
The state of the state address would be one possibility to get the word out to the few people who will be watching, but there are other ways as well. Why are there not commercials running during all the popular shows?

What we are doing now is mostly cleaning up in the wake, and buying time hoping man can come up with a chemical to stop the bug, why? We could have, and still can stop being responsible for widespread distribution of this bug. It won't stop it, but it sure as heck won't spread as fast!
If this were a deadly human virus..............we'd all be dead!

Offline estiers

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2005, 07:51:58 am »
The ash trees in China, which is where the bug came from, seem to have resistance to it, as they are only effected by the bug during stress of somekind (drought, etc.).  There are people looking at breeding new ash varieties with these trees, the problem is they are not very atractive and have none of the characteristics we like about our ash here, so it would take a very long time to achieve.
Erin Stiers

Offline pasbuild

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2005, 08:28:00 pm »
Who is saying that the EAB is in the Upper Peninsula, is it a state agency, is it the federal  government , if this is in fact true then I agree with Furby and not enough is being done to inform the people >:(
I have talked to loggers,foresters and log buyers from Newberry to Wakefield and nobody has heard anything about it.  DANG its not that hard to inform those in the forest products industry, provide informational handouts to all of the local saw shops, It doesn't  take that many fingers to count the companies that buy hardwood logs in the UP, make it mandatory to hand out an informational sheet with each load slip. I'm sure that these timber professionals would be more then happy to remove the standing ash while it still has a marketable value instead of waiting until all its good for is a big puff of smoke going up in the air. :(
I for one am keeping a close eye on this as I want to turn our ash into a usable  product when and if the time comes  however there ether is no info available or you get conflicting info for our area :-\ :-\
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Offline estiers

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2005, 08:22:33 am »
There is currently no confirmed oubreak of EAB in the UP.
Erin Stiers

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2005, 07:41:59 pm »
Yep, I admit I was off on that one as I can't back it up.
Looked online last night and none of the sites are showing it.
Today I tried to get ahold of one of the fellows I talked to that told me they had found them up there, but he is out of town right now.

Offline AtLast

• Dis-member-ed
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2005, 10:01:02 am »
In accordence with a complience agreement you must saw 1/2" below zylum cambium.  logs can be moved INTO quaran. area but not out. The chip size is SUPPOSED to be 1" or less but as we can see the grindings DO NOT meet this yet were still allowed to be shipped. Though LCLTL's involvement we are able to show a positive alternative in the handling of the logs. My yard is part of a regular tour that the MRCD puts together the MDNR, MDA MSU Extension along with a wide varity of people have been on this tour including Steve Bratkovich and Patricia Lockwood. I have showen them that by utilizing this material and the small abount of watse generated would potentially save the State millions of dollers. Because basically top flitches are the " waste" and can be run through our Dynamic cone head chipper which DOES produce 1" or smaller chips. These chips can than be used for foot paths through the trials in parks within the QZ.  Also with the many state parks and state vehicles that this wood could be used for would ALSO save the State tons of money. LCLTL has kept over 500,000 b/f of material out of landfill or from being burnt and saved municipalities we contract with big savings on not only their disposal cost but material costs as well. From picnic table replacement boards, park benches, bleechers, trailer ecking, banger boards on trucks fence posts and railings and have cut wood to spec for a play structure. LCLTL have been involved in this right from the get go and  have always preached utilization not only for the Ash but all urban material. I commend Urban Logger on the FANTASTIC job his group and others like him are doing. Setting an example that happily is picking up steam. Our company jackts proudly display the Forestry Fourm logo on the sleeve and Im asked about  this forum.  Im pretty that MSU got to this site via the logo  8)...As far as the UP goes...."confirmed"?....not sure BUT I DO know for a fact that it HAS crossed the bridge.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2005, 10:10:11 am »
Im pretty that MSU got to this site via the logo 

Nice thought but I have been involved with some of the Michigan State Extension Foresters for many years.  Michigan State extention Foresters have been answering "Ask the Forester" questions for our Timber Buyers Network website and the MFRA site since around the turn of the century. :)

Offline AtLast

• Dis-member-ed
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2005, 10:21:54 am »
I ment MSU_ Keith.....no matter....glad we are all trying to do something positive. 8)

Offline pasbuild

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2005, 10:29:49 am »
Atlast
You write (As far as the UP goes...."confirmed"?....not sure BUT I DO know for a fact that it HAS crossed the bridge.)
Tell me more, what do you know that none of the loggers up here know :(
Do you know if the state is monitoring the UP and if so were?

Online Jeff

• Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2005, 05:00:08 pm »
Good question. A statement like that deserves to be backed up with facts and statistics.

Offline AtLast

• Dis-member-ed
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2005, 11:16:55 pm »
In order for LCLTL to ship lumber ( Ash) outside we have to have it inspected by the USFS who than tags and bands the material. Upon a visit from the USFS inspector he told of the tree service locally here that shipped 4 truck loads of firewood to his property in the UP. They , the USFS, tracked and fined this company for this breach of policy. The way it was told to me was that indeed these truck loads of firewood made its way accross the bridge to the UP. As I stated. NOT CONFIRMED but by hearing this first hand from the USFS that indeed this material was in the UP was scary enuf. I dont know what it is that youre looking for other than what I stated. as far as facts and " statistics" go..as I stated. NOT CONFIRMED but indeed a fact, all I was trying to do was pass information. I dont understand why I am feeling persicuted for simply telling what I was told by the USFS that tracked this material to the UP I was not saying an " outbreak" was in tow NOR did I say it was epidemic like in the lower part of Mich. all I was doing was passing information.

Offline pasbuild

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2005, 12:44:40 am »
Thanks for the info Atlast, sorry if I made it sound like I was grillin ya, just after any info on EAB in the UP.
Do you know if the camp in question was in the Newberry area?
I heard a rumor that sounds like it may have STARTED from the incident that your referring to, Did the USFS inspector go into detail? If so could you share that with us.
Again Thanks for the info.

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2005, 01:11:53 am »
My info or lack of, ::) was within the Newberry area and was firewood, but I don't yet know about the rest of the story.