TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Farmi Winch Direct

Comstock Logging

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Belsaw Edger  (Read 2670 times)

Offline woodhick

• I hope it don't clear off cloudy and come a dry drizzle!
Belsaw Edger
« on: April 21, 2005, 08:30:10 am »
I recently found on of these older belsaw edgers for sale at a good price.  Just  wandering if anyone has any experience with them.  Pros, Cons, etc?   ??? ???
Woodmizer LT40G25, with homemade hydraulics, Nyle L200, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Offline D._Frederick

• Senior Member x2
Re: Belsaw Edger
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:02:37 am »
Wood-,

On one of the forums a while back some one was complaining about the roller chain sprocket used for feeding that it imprinted the wood being edged.  (Should not be a problem on hardwoods)

What kind of wood are you planning to saw and how big?

Offline woodhick

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 12:36:49 pm »
I saw mostly hardwoods.  Softwoods are usally used for barns etc. so marking  probably wouldn't be a problem.  I can get it with electric motor for $250-$300 ;), so I guess I should give it a try :)
Woodmizer LT40G25, with homemade hydraulics, Nyle L200, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Offline UNCLEBUCK

• Senior Member x2
  • Life out on the prairie !
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 12:44:53 am »
Woodhick I have a 2 gang belsaw edger that I bought for 400$ and it had all rotten wood and a old wisconsin one lung motor so I put new wood on and took a 4 cylinder wisconsin motor off a old grain swather and it really flies ! I got a extra new box of insert teeth with it for that price . Isnt much that can go wrong with them and there is no guess work to them . I have a throttle that can be adjusted and the feed automatically follows the rpm of the motor but I run at idle . I took the guide off of it on the exit side . Rigged up a cable to pull that throws the drive out of gear for safety , I never stand directly behind it , thats like the danger zone but never had anything fly by me but always a first . This pic was taken about 2 years ago before I had the sawmill working good so I had to buy lumber .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Offline woodhick

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 10:29:52 pm »
Thanks uncle buck for the pics and info.  I did buy the edger but it didn't have any table or rolls,but it did have the book so I have all the dimensions to build my own.  It was missing the scale that goes at the end of the frame to set dimensions if anyone could provide a good picture and dimesions of one  of these i'm sure it won't be hard to make. 
Slabs,  the guy I got mine from was runnig it with a 3 horsepower electric motor.  wasn't hooked up when I got there.  Seems aful small to me so I bought it without the motor as I plan on a small gas engine.  I think I am going to try 10 HP.

Uncle Buck, one more  question? Does your's have insert teeth?  If it does do you know what type and size.  Thanks, ;)

Offline UNCLEBUCK

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 10:44:59 pm »
I take a good pic and put it on here tomorrow night of the scale ok so you can make one out of old iron  and I will take a close up of the blades and the insert teeth and size and style ok .  ;D

Offline J_T

• Senior Member x2
  • Some of anything beats all of nothing Even in Dukedom Tn
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 01:09:11 am »
Hey Woodhick I would call Timberking if you didn't get the tool to remove them teeth they can tell you about the bits too. I had one those edgers and gave it to a buddy that though needed one :D If you don't want to make those parts TimberKing has them and arn't to bad on price .
Jim Holloway

Offline UNCLEBUCK

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 10:38:03 am »
Sorry for the delay woodhick , here is the scale , could be made from anything , its 52 inches from the scale to the bolt where the handle pivots and 56 inches from there to the center of the blade , you can tweak out your adjustment later by when your ready to drill a hole for the pivot bolt, I cant tell or see any markings on the inserts or the teeth so maybe someone here can identify it . Good luck with your project .

Offline UNCLEBUCK

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 10:39:54 am »

Offline UNCLEBUCK

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 10:41:21 am »

Offline woodhick

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 09:18:16 pm »
Thinks uncle buck for the pics and everybody for the information.  As always I currently have way too many irons in the fire ;D, so it will probably be a while before I can get to setting up the edger.  I  guess I need to build a bigger fire to keep the irons hot or quit hauling so much "JUNK" in to work on :D.  Thanks again for the info hope I can help you all out some time. ;)

Offline woodhick

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 10:33:01 pm »
Uncle buck, one more question?  I read on another place that these edgers won't cut straight.  Do you have any problems with yours.  I would guess this person didn't have it aligned properly.  I have a buddy that has a large Tower brand edger at his circle mill and the belsaw looks almost identical just  a lighter version.  Thanks. ???

Online Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 11:01:57 pm »
do these things have anything to keep you from putting your flitch into it crooked?

I'll have to get a bunch of pictures next time I visit the folks, my grandfather had an old circle mill, and there's an old PTO edger there too.  I should probably claim all that stuff  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.